WJC 2016 Discussion (seven Coyote prospects on final rosters)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
And if Puljujarvi is any better than Laine, it's only by a smidge, at most. Crazy.

Teams picking 2nd and 3rd are going to be making some impossibly difficult choices. Puljujarvi or Laine or Chychrun? How do you choose? Team picking 4th has a no-brainer on their hands. Hopefully we win at least one of the three lotteries. What a crazy fun draft that would be. Imagine winning the drawing for 2nd overall and speculating on with of the Fins or Chychrun Maloney goes with.

The Coyotes will have a tenuous grasp on a playoff spot when Smith returns, then drop hard into a bottom three slot, and then bounce back just enough at the end of the season to end up with the 5th pick.

Sorry, my new year's resolution was to be more negative.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The Coyotes will have a tenuous grasp on a playoff spot when Smith returns, then drop hard into a bottom three slot, and then bounce back just enough at the end of the season to end up with the 5th pick.

Excellent, you and I are on the same line. I figured we've been playing over our heads and at some point, the metrics have to revert back to normal.

I really want one of the big 3.

I'd also like to get late in the 1st Logan Brown 6'6'' C but not sure if he'll be available with NY 1st pick.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Excellent, you and I are on the same line. I figured we've been playing over our heads and at some point, the metrics have to revert back to normal.

I'd also like to get late in the 1st Logan Brown 6'6'' C but not sure if he'll be available with NY 1st pick.

I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, but yeah. The Coyotes are currently 2nd in the league in shooting percentage and 28th in shot attempt ratio. Pretty safe bet their record will regress in the second half of the season.

Logan Brown is an intriguing prospect that I'm having trouble slotting. I currently have him ranked 25th, but I could see that moving a good 10 slots in either direction, at least. Guys with his package of size and skating ability tend not to fall very far, though, so I'd agree it's unlikely he's still there when the Coyotes pick a second time.

Max Jones is rocketing up my list as well. Tantalizing player. He's muscled his way into my top 10.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

No no. We drop to fifth at the lottery. It's worse that way.

rt

May 13, 2004

It's not even a top three. It's a top four.

rt

May 13, 2004
I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, but yeah. The Coyotes are currently 2nd in the league in shooting percentage and 28th in shot attempt ratio. Pretty safe bet their record will regress in the second half of the season.

Logan Brown is an intriguing prospect that I'm having trouble slotting. I currently have him ranked 25th, but I could see that moving a good 10 slots in either direction, at least. Guys with his package of size and skating ability tend not to fall very far, though, so I'd agree it's unlikely he's still there when the Coyotes pick a second time.

Max Jones is rocketing up my list as well. Tantalizing player. He's muscled his way into my top 10.

Jones playing lights out with the top line away at the WJCs was really impressive. With Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner gone, all accounts were that Jones stepped up and played like a star.

Yet another left-shooting winger, though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Jones playing lights out with the top line away at the WJCs was really impressive. With Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner gone, all accounts were that Jones stepped up and played like a star.

Yet another left-shooting winger, though.

I'd have him even higher if he were a righty. He'd be a great wing for Dvorak, though.

rt

May 13, 2004
Interesting though that Jones went from something like 0.90ppg to 1.40ppg with the top line away. That's a serious boost. Small sample size, but still encouraging.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

No no. We drop to fifth at the lottery. It's worse that way.
Sadly these are the most likely scenarios. That's just how Coyote fan life works.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domi was definitely an n pick and Perlini was an n-1 pick.

n refers to the consensus top tier. If there are four players clearly a cut above the rest in this years draft, the Coyotes will find a way to get the 5th pick.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
n refers to the consensus top tier. If there are four players clearly a cut above the rest in this years draft, the Coyotes will find a way to get the 5th pick.
It's Murphy's Law (the bastardized version) in it's purest form.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Maloney recapped the WJC and gives a little blurb on everyone that went: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=796681&navid=DL|ARI|home

Sadly no mention of whether or not the swedes will be signed.

They've been left out in most of the prospects reports, maybe it's cause they play in SHL, lacked scouting or something.
Lööke had a nice tournament, a bit of an surprise whilst I had hopes that Karlsson would've made more points. Karlsson gets the job done in most situations, but when having momentum from scoring a goal or assist he just boosts his play in levels. It appeared to me especially after his goal and when his line scored, he elevates with confidence.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Since they were draft out of Europe, I'm pretty sure we own their rights for like 90 years or something so it doesn't hurt to let them develop in Sweden if they need the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad