WJC 2016 Discussion (seven Coyote prospects on final rosters)

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Standard problem with a short tournament, but I'm always surprised to hear this about Canada. Does adding Aaron Ekblad totally fix this problem or are they all terrible?Not enough is made of how Looke has looked in this series. That's a quality name joke thing and I'm ... wait for it ... looking forward to seeing it for the next few years.

I'm sorry.
Great pun :laugh:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
NHL network needs to get their **** together. Denmark vs Russia replay during Canada vs Finland timeslot.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Strome had a great 1st period, scored a goal, broke up a rush in his own zone, and stole the puck and got a chance a few minutes in.

Mossy

Oct 26, 2010
Calgary / Scottsdale
I guess living in Canada has it's benefits. Getting to watch all the games is great. Strome is looking great in both ends.

Also I get to go to my first Yotes game this year. Leaving in an hour to drive to Edmonton to watch the boys play. I'll be the lone Coyotes fan there

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm watching it here in AZ on my Canadian satellite just fine!!!
I guess living in Canada has it's benefits. Getting to watch all the games is great. Strome is looking great in both ends.

Also I get to go to my first Yotes game this year. Leaving in an hour to drive to Edmonton to watch the boys play. I'll be the lone Coyotes fan there

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

There are ways on the interwebz to watch them from here.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Well Canada is out but what a great game. Very entertaining. Strome was great again. I was very proud of how he played. Perlini was playing a good checking game until he got called for slashing. Then he seemed to dissappear.

I am glad Vancouver drafted Virtinen and not the Coyotes. He is very undisciplined.

It surprised me that Blackwood is the best goalie in the OHL. He gives up a lot of rebounds, leaves a lot of net open to shoot at, and a five hole that compares with Mike Smith's. I was a bit surprised we did not follow Finland's example and pull our starting goalie half way through the game.

Canada's defense today was pretty good for a large part of the game. McKeown is a very good player. But One of the best players on the ice in my opinion was Finland's Olli Juolevi. I don't know where people are ranking him for the draft but what a defenceman. I was surprised he was not the player of the game. I hope Maloney was watching.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Virtanen is just terrible. Selfish, undisciplined, no hockey sense. I have no idea why Lowry gave him so much ice time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well Canada is out but what a great game. Very entertaining. Strome was great again. I was very proud of how he played. Perlini was playing a good checking game until he got called for slashing. Then he seemed to dissappear.

I am glad Vancouver drafted Virtinen and not the Coyotes. He is very undisciplined.

It surprised me that Blackwood is the best goalie in the OHL. He gives up a lot of rebounds, leaves a lot of net open to shoot at, and a five hole that compares with Mike Smith's. I was a bit surprised we did not follow Finland's example and pull our starting goalie half way through the game.

Canada's defense today was pretty good for a large part of the game. McKeown is a very good player. But One of the best players on the ice in my opinion was Finland's Olli Juolevi. I don't know where people are ranking him for the draft but what a defenceman. I was surprised he was not the player of the game. I hope Maloney was watching.

Are you being a homer when talking about Strome? I have been reading that after have a good first period he disappeared. Do you know how many points Strome and Marner ended with.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Awful tournament for Canada. This coming from someone who watches as a Coyotes fan first and as a Canadian second.

Strome had a great tournament. Best player on the team. That makes back-to-back years where a Coyote was Canada's best player.

Perlini had some chances but, overall, was below average. I still think part of that was he was misused by Dave Lowry, who may have been Canada's weakest link all together.

Impressed with Sweden and USA. Here's hoping USA wins. Dvorak scored again today.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Are you being a homer when talking about Strome? I have been reading that after have a good first period he disappeared. Do you know how many points Strome and Marner ended with.

He didn't disappear, but he wasn't as noticable as the first. Marner had two goals, he looked great in the third.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Awful tournament for Canada. This coming from someone who watches as a Coyotes fan first and as a Canadian second.

Strome had a great tournament. Best player on the team. That makes back-to-back years where a Coyote was Canada's best player.

Perlini had some chances but, overall, was below average. I still think part of that was he was misused by Dave Lowry, who may have been Canada's weakest link all together.

Impressed with Sweden and USA. Here's hoping USA wins. Dvorak scored again today.

We don't have Reinhart or marner :sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's good to hear about Strome. Perlini was not very impressive this past Coyote training camp.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010

No definitely not being a homer Jakey. He continued to play well and had several chances. He also had at least one more take away and was always involved in the play. He certainly was not just a floater.

His face-offs were not as good today but not terrible. And I do think he looks slow but it never seems to hurt his play. That ability to be in the right place at the right time is uncanny. He was one of their better players today but he did take a dumb penalty at a costly time in the game.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Perlini will be fine, because in the pros, he'll have a center that is trying to get him the puck, rather than just skate it around and lose it.

I've never seen Team Canada play as selfish as a group played this World Juniors. Too many puck hogs, no cohesiveness on any line...and there were several times just today where several players were over the 2min shift mark.

That falls on the coaching staff big time. Canada has great players, they should be running 4 lines except for the last 2-3 mins of the game if you need to shorten the bench.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome met expectations. Named as one of top 3 players on Team Canada. Displayed a fairly strong two way game. Great on face offs. Scored points consistently. Criticisms on not elevating game in final 2 periods but all in all a positive showing.

Perlini had moments where you saw hard work and effort but stat line tells the bigger story. He's more of a project than expected after his strong rookie camp after his draft year. The criticism he had his draft year was his very quiet second half of his draft year. That being said I see a Blake Wheeler long term prospect with all the tools you are looking for. He'll be a solid pro. Similar to Wheeler it's going to take 5 years though before you see the finished consistent product.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Perlini is just like Duclair; an opportunistic, dangerous shooter that won't break a game wide open on his own unless he somehow gets the puck in space. He needs linemates that can make plays and that he's comfortable with. Not worried at all.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Perlini could be a great transition style forward. That kind of game was almost non existent at the world juniors. Almost no stretch passes, lots of holding up the play along the half wall and that left players like Perlini, Gauthier, Virtanen kind of standing around. NOT their game at all IMO.

Strome was Canada's best, most consistent forward. Needs to work on his intensity and foot speed but obviously a very talented centre.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not sure about this game today, but I remember the Strome line taking a ton of defensive zone starts against Sweden. Plus he was with two boat anchors offensively so I'm not sure how much more he could have done. Plus team Canada was a disaster so I think people need to keep themselves grounded in regards to judging players off of a couple of games. There wasn't a single player that stood out all tournament for them.

Needs more work on the skating, but he has improved that with one offseason so i hope he can do the same this offseason.

Like I said, can't judge players too much, but Perlini has struggled all season so I hope this wasn't a reflection of this. Seems like a confusing player. At times seems super engaged and will put up solid physical battles but other times he just floats around and stares at the puck. I'm not sold on his hockey IQ.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Objectively and as a homer Strome was Canada's best player. TSN said so multiple times throughout the tournament as well. Now, knowing this, go read the Marner thread and come back perplexed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad