WJC 2016 Discussion (seven Coyote prospects on final rosters)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Agree, plus it's not like Team Canada is playing well, too many puck hogs...and Perlini hasn't had that many touches. He did miss a wide open net, but has looked good when paired with Strome.

Unfortunately whoever the Canadian coach is has a itchy trigger finger so good luck for anyone to find chemistry.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Also, I'd like to add that if you enjoy comedy, you need to go and read through the Swiss vs. Canada GDT, if I can steal from a Seinfeld episode: "That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Also, I'd like to add that if you enjoy comedy, you need to go and read through the Swiss vs. Canada GDT, if I can steal from a Seinfeld episode: "That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

The Marner / Strome debate has reached ludicrous.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I'm really happy the Coyotes have Strome but I also understand why so many think that Marner is better. It really depends on what you prefer, cerebral and efficient or flashy and exciting.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
i don't know why fans have to pit them against each other. They each have their own game. They should leave it at that.
That's the problem. Some people fail to recognize that Strome and Marner play two very different games. Anyone with half a brain knows that Strome is your big, strong Spezza/Thornton type of center, while Marner is your small, flashy and skilled center/winger. They seriously shouldn't even be compared against eachother because of those reasons, but half the damn Leafs fan base are so insecure that they just have to bring down other prospects to make themselves feel better.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Anyone have any highlights of the USA Swiss game? Any dvo Macinnis or Matthews specifically would be nice.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
yeah not a great release. Easily Strome's worst game of the tournament today.

Having Crouse and Virtanen on that line kills it. At least Crouse knows his job, Virtanen tries to do everything a fails miserably. Should just run a Crouse Strome Marner/Barzal line or something

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Perlini also looked super disinterested in that game. Just was standing still and watching the puck for a good portion of the game. Looked lost

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Strome also needs to work on his shot. Absolute laser, but he needs to be able to get it off faster

I said this last year (right after or before we drafted him) and was torn apart by posters on here. He double clutches and winds it up too much. He doesn't take a shot in stride almost ever. However, most OHL players don't as they don't need to in Jr. hockey. That's something that will be fixed in the NHL.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Team Canada looked awful. Virtinin should have been benched after that first penalty. Such a selfish play.

The defense reminds me of the Coyotes defense. Chabot is the only good D-man they have. Blackwood gives way too many rebounds.

Today, Marner did play better then Strome.

And what a bogus call against Perlini. But although Perlini did not do much to score, I thought he played a decent game.

When Canada tried to play finesse hockey, it didn't work. They made so many missed passes it was ridiculous. They lost the puck so often at the point that I thought Boedker was out there. When they started throwing the body around, they controlled the play but for reasons unexplained, they did not keep it up.

I felt bad for the assistant coach who's dad died just before the game. Maybe it affected the team a bit too. Tough stuff.

Looke and Karlsson looked pretty good.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's the most physical I've ever seen Perlini play. It's not his game at all but he has the size and it was neat to see him throwing it around today.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I said this last year (right after or before we drafted him) and was torn apart by posters on here. He double clutches and winds it up too much. He doesn't take a shot in stride almost ever. However, most OHL players don't as they don't need to in Jr. hockey. That's something that will be fixed in the NHL.

Are talking about his wrist or slap shot? If you are talking about his wrister I agree. I also noticed and mentioned this during training camp. Your right, he has to fix that in the NHL.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Are talking about his wrist or slap shot? If you are talking about his wrister I agree. I also noticed and mentioned this during training camp. Your right, he has to fix that in the NHL.

Being in the WJ will help, I imagine it will open his eyes to some holes in his game. He could get away with it in juniors, but not at higher levels of play.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

His wrist shot. It's lethal when he gets it off, but as you said, when the competition gets tougher he won't have so much time to wind up.

His skating is noticeably better, though. I think he's caused more turnovers himself than most of his team.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Team Canada looked awful.
The defense reminds me of the Coyotes defense. Chabot is the only good D-man they have.
Standard problem with a short tournament, but I'm always surprised to hear this about Canada. Does adding Aaron Ekblad totally fix this problem or are they all terrible?
Looke and Karlsson looked pretty good.
Not enough is made of how Looke has looked in this series. That's a quality name joke thing and I'm ... wait for it ... looking forward to seeing it for the next few years.

I'm sorry.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
In Srome'a better games in this tourney he's been moving his feet and his skating looked great. Today he was coasting way more in all three zones and he was much less effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad