Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I tend to worry about point production but think that’s more of a HF thing in defending a player. Especially on this Ducks team with this PP, points are not easy to come by.

But I was more focused on how he would handle his first NHL game at center. Thought he looked very comfortable at it was very good on face offs and in his own zone, made some good plays to get the puck quickly out, and his offense didn’t seem to effected and was still able to pressure.

I just feel Eakins is the wrong coach for guys like Drysdale and Zegras to truly succeed and hit their ceiling, especially on the PP.

I think Eakins is the wrong coach for this team full stop. Our young guys haven’t exactly been developing at an exceptional rate since he came here.

Oct 18, 2011
I think if he really applies himself he can make himself into a Datysuk type of player. There is no reason he cant be a great 3 zone player he has the ability

Reactions: Zegras11
Oct 18, 2011
I think Eakins is the wrong coach for this team full stop. Our young guys haven’t exactly been developing at an exceptional rate since he came here.
We need a coach with credentials...I think Boudreau would be a great coach for this team if he would come back

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think if he really applies himself he can make himself into a Datysuk type of player. There is no reason he cant be a great 3 zone player he has the ability

I think he is more Zetterberg than Datsyuk. Pavel was a relentless forechecker with incredible quickness, I dont think that is Zegras.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Couldn't agree more. He's cocky but willing to put in the work and doesn't seem to take things for granted.
I was talking to a coach and was told he is cocky in a confident way but he isn't selfish or a jerk at all to anyone in the organization. He is a super nice guy to the lowest level employees, totally a team guy and just super dedicated to his craft. He said some guys are all about themselves, like comtois (not sure what that means because Comtois seems like a great teammate), said the vets have a lot of internal issues with guys hating each other and not speaking to each other (probably happens a bit everywhere) and hinted the vets are almost jealous of Eakins bond with the young guys. The vets walked off of last practice wilhen Eakins was working with the young guys on the pp.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I was talking to a coach and was told he is cocky in a confident way but he isn't selfish or a jerk at all to anyone in the organization. He is a super nice guy to the lowest level employees, totally a team guy and just super dedicated to his craft. He said some guys are all about themselves, like comtois (not sure what that means because Comtois seems like a great teammate), said the vets have a lot of internal issues with guys hating each other and not speaking to each other (probably happens a bit everywhere) and hinted the vets are almost jealous of Eakins bond with the young guys. The vets walked off of last practice wilhen Eakins was working with the young guys on the pp.
This is interesting if true.

I did notice in previous games Eakinswas putting vet line out there first.
Last game Eakins gave young guns mich more PP time right away.

But i dont understand if vets dont like to hate on each other instead of talking, why they walked out?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This is interesting if true.

I did notice in previous games Eakinswas putting vet line out there first.
Last game Eakins gave young guns mich more PP time right away.

But i dont understand if vets dont like to hate on each other instead of talking, why they walked out?
Walking out was in reference to de focusing on the kids on the pp and not the whole team. The thing about the vets not getting along I'm not sure who fights or hates each other, just that there are some issues between some of the vets.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Walking out was in reference to de focusing on the kids on the pp and not the whole team. The thing about the vets not getting along I'm not sure who fights or hates each other, just that there are some issues between some of the vets.
We have been playing better without them. If they cant put their differences aside for the good of the team then we should cut them loose.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We have been playing better without them. If they cant put their differences aside for the good of the team then we should cut them loose.
That was exactly what I said when I heard that. The vets have a historically bad pp and the kids are creating chance after chance.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it’s confidence and determination to get better, don’t see him being cocky. He never puts himself above his team, he works hard, and he is always congratulating teammates and is happy when they score and whatnot. He has tweeted good luck tweets to all his Team USA buds who have started their first NHL game.

That Interview during the Worlds, felt more of a confidence booster for his entire team. I read it as hey my team is good and think we can test their goalie. I think it’s more of a leadership thing and raising morale for his team. I don’t see it as hey you are beneath us and we will win. He has respect for the opponents he plays.

One thing that stood out for me and this is minor but him rushing back to break up a play, or going to the boards to help aid a line mate. Other players may not want to get dirty, he has no problem doing that. To me that is what will make him a better complete overall player. Points will come but I like when he does all the little things. Comtois has been doing that as well when he is on his game.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If this is true, then those vets need to be jettisoned immediately after the season ends. This is a rebuild where you are supposed to be helping cultivate young talent.

Spoiled bitches

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If this is true, then those vets need to be jettisoned immediately after the season ends. This is a rebuild where you are supposed to be helping cultivate young talent.

Spoiled bitches

If this is true, I highly doubt Getzlaf is in that group, same with Fowler. Those guys seem to enjoy mentioning and being looked up to. But most of the vets have underperformed badly this season so if they have a problem with the coaching being focused on developing the youth they need to move on now.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I've wondered if the veterans have respected Eakins since at least midseason and I'm sure some of you have been on it longer. Their body language certainly looks like they've tuned him out.

It appears the chickens have finally come home to roost on Bob's end though. 3-4 years of bluster and prepared statements talking about how major changes to the core group need to be made with no action allowed the rot to set in, and now that a wave of young players who can not only challenge them but actually supersede them have arrived, they don't seem willing to deal with that adversity and have put Murray in a position to where he HAS to make a move to clear out some of the negative influences.

Last edited:

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was talking to a coach and was told he is cocky in a confident way but he isn't selfish or a jerk at all to anyone in the organization. He is a super nice guy to the lowest level employees, totally a team guy and just super dedicated to his craft.

I think it’s confidence and determination to get better, don’t see him being cocky. He never puts himself above his team, he works hard, and he is always congratulating teammates and is happy when they score and whatnot. He has tweeted good luck tweets to all his Team USA buds who have started their first NHL game.

Yeah, didn't mean that in a negative way. Meant more as "boldly confident".

Reactions: Leonardo87
Oct 18, 2011
It's hard to tell what's true. I think one thing that has really bothered me is that not enough players seem angry about the losing. I'd like to see more outward anger instead of the cliche bullshit we hear on a regular basis.

Besides that it time to turn over the leadership manson,rakell, and lindholm should all be moved for a variety of reasons

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's hard to tell what's true. I think one thing that has really bothered me is that not enough players seem angry about the losing. I'd like to see more outward anger instead of the cliche bullshit we hear on a regular basis.

Besides that it time to turn over the leadership manson,rakell, and lindholm should all be moved for a variety of reasons
Honestly the only players that ever seemed mad about losing from what I’ve seen was Gibson and lindholm(then again lindholm looks mad every time they score a goal when he’s on the ice) ... and occasionally getzlaf the rest seem like they are just collecting a pay check and don’t care about losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad