Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I mean I see a lot of top centers around the league the same height so I don't understand that notion, and I expect Zegras to add muscle this summer. Some people don't seem to think he can do it, this is going to be a challenge for sure, but Zegras looks like the type who is up for this kind of challenge, and if he is able to touch the puck more and possess the puck more, this could be a very good thing. Like you said they missed out on Dubois, and I highly doubt they can get someone like Barkov. So have to look within and hopefully this draft, they can even add another potential 1C/2C as well.

Best case scenario if Zegras makes it as a Center in the NHL and they draft Beniers or Johnson with a top 5 pick.
Comtois/Zegras/Perreault - The Greek & French line. Zegras passes, Perreault shoots, if there is a rebound Comtois puts it in.
Henrique/Beniers/Terry
Jones/Lundestrom/Tracey ?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
In my opinion, I like my playmakers at center for a puck logistics standpoint. As a center hes got a pass option on either side of him in general while on the wing his options are a bit more limited. To pass from wing to wing you have to cross a lot more ice so there is a lot more time for someone to get in the way and disrupt the pass. Not saying that is always the case but just seems its more likely to have more options at center. Not sure if it is a real think or just an theory.

Reactions: Trojans86
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In my opinion, I like my playmakers at center for a puck logistics standpoint. As a center hes got a pass option on either side of him in general while on the wing his options are a bit more limited. To pass from wing to wing you have to cross a lot more ice so there is a lot more time for someone to get in the way and disrupt the pass. Not saying that is always the case but just seems its more likely to have more options at center. Not sure if it is a real think or just an theory.

Offensively forwards don't just stay stapled to their third of the ice, though, it's all fairly positionless in that zone. I think its always mostly been this way, Selanne's office was on the left remember, but in recent years this has especially been the case, where there's so much movement it really doesn't matter. Wingers seem to be switching much more effortlessly than I can recall.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s worth a try. I just don’t think it’ll work. I think his biggest obstacle in becoming a center is his skating, not his size. He’s not an elite level skater. You don’t have to be to be a center, but you better have great defensive instincts if you’re not a great skater. Don’t think he has those either.

I hope he can gain a step skating wise though

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
This seems like a good thing? I'm not sure why people are so mad about it. If he can be a dominant center, great. Our long term future at center is pretty bleak right now.

Yeah, the only (near) sure fire bets in the organization to be long-term fits at center are Lundestrom and BO Groulx, and while I’m higher on their ceilings than the consensus, both of them top out as middle-6ers. I don’t think Zegras will stick as a pivot, but he solves a huge future headache if he does

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It’s worth a try. I just don’t think it’ll work. I think his biggest obstacle in becoming a center is his skating, not his size. He’s not an elite level skater. You don’t have to be to be a center, but you better have great defensive instincts if you’re not a great skater. Don’t think he has those either.

I hope he can gain a step skating wise though
I agree. While strength is an issue right now I'd bet he will be sufficiently strong to play center as he gets closer to his prime. The defensive instincts is probably the more important attribute.

As for skating I feel like he is very quick and shifty, just lacks top end speed. I'm not too worried about it. To me top end speed is more important at winger where they are trying to get behind the defense or drive wide and around the defense.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If you don't think Zegras has good instincts defensively you should watch some more games.... he is also stealing pucks from knowing where to put his stick and feet. Especially in San Diego he had a knack for it. I mean look at the goal he just assisted on to Carrick stole the puck easy and in 1 motion threw a perfect pass to Carrick.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If you don't think Zegras has good instincts defensively you should watch some more games.... he is also stealing pucks from knowing where to put his stick and feet. Especially in San Diego he had a knack for it. I mean look at the goal he just assisted on to Carrick stole the puck easy and in 1 motion threw a perfect pass to Carrick.
That was a beauty and a clever little play. He definitely thinks the game very well.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm not sure why some think Zegras can't, or is unlikely to be a good center other than he's not a very big guy. What exactly are our concerns with him at center in regards to HIS game?

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I'm not sure why some think Zegras can't, or is unlikely to be a good center other than he's not a very big guy. What exactly are our concerns with him at center in regards to HIS game?

At his current state players simply push him over / off the puck. Faceoffs are another big concern. Internationally he has always been used on the wing as well. He just needs to get stronger. Work ethic and hockey IQ are non issues. He may simply end up more effective on the wing which isnt the end of the world either.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
At his current state players simply push him over / off the puck. Faceoffs are another big concern. Internationally he has always been used on the wing as well. He just needs to get stronger. Work ethic and hockey IQ are non issues. He may simply end up more effective on the wing which isnt the end of the world either.
this is the case for most (not all)....i think terry is a perfect example, while he can still get tossed at times he has come a long ways, its part gaining man strength and part mental IMO...i dont think in 2 years this will be a concern with zegras....i think the ducks would be dumb not to give him/the ducks every chance to make him a C....my concern would be with anyone in this situation, that they can have a tendency to sacrifice defense for offense or vis versa...i dont want zegras to loss any offensive he would bring to this team, which is what this team needs more out of him then for him to be a center.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Guessing some people in here don’t remember ANDY MACK was our first line C
Good point. He was built like a truck though, there was no separation from his face and neck :laugh:

But there are other examples. Joe Sakic was a mid-round pick, under 6 feet and around 180 lbs and I heard he was pretty good.
Checking out the stats, at Z's age Sakic was almost a PPG player already though. But oh well, not matching Sakic stats might not immediately mean he has no future, right

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

He sits in soft spots hoping to grab mistakes. Which isn't nothing, but it's the least a defender can do. He can't effectively pressure and deny right now.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I think most of the disagreement here seems to be less about who Zegras is/can be and more about what the role of a C is in the modern NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Good point. He was built like a truck though, there was no separation from his face and neck :laugh:

But there are other examples. Joe Sakic was a mid-round pick, under 6 feet and around 180 lbs and I heard he was pretty good.
Checking out the stats, at Z's age Sakic was almost a PPG player already though. But oh well, not matching Sakic stats might not immediately mean he has no future, right

McDonald also had the benefit in that the 2 years he was the 1C, the Pahlsson line did all the heavy lifting defensively and we had a coach who would actively go out of his way to get McDonalds line (and every other line) specific matchups, even at the detriment to the flow of the game.

Reactions: Kalv

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
This is so strange here. If Z would have been physically ready, he would have been gone at #3.

He is the most talented guy out of this draft but also risky, how much of his potential he can reach only time will tell.

He should add muscle and speed over the next 2 years.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Zegras has already gotten so much better on faceoffs. When he first went back down to SD, it looked like he was just trying to utilize his stick skill to win draws, but last night you saw him battling with his body to win some. He might not be the biggest guy, but he is skilled and crafty enough to be good on the dot.

He's clutch with his wins, too. It's not really situational. Really encouraging how he throws himself into trying to improve whatever is asked of him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I tend to worry about point production but think that’s more of a HF thing in defending a player. Especially on this Ducks team with this PP, points are not easy to come by.

But I was more focused on how he would handle his first NHL game at center. Thought he looked very comfortable at it was very good on face offs and in his own zone, made some good plays to get the puck quickly out, and his offense didn’t seem to effected and was still able to pressure.

I just feel Eakins is the wrong coach for guys like Drysdale and Zegras to truly succeed and hit their ceiling, especially on the PP.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I tend to worry about point production but think that’s more of a HF thing in defending a player. Especially on this Ducks team with this PP, points are not easy to come by.

But I was more focused on how he would handle his first NHL game at center. Thought he looked very comfortable at it was very good on face offs and in his own zone, made some good plays to get the puck quickly out, and his offense didn’t seem to effected and was still able to pressure.

I just feel Eakins is the wrong coach for guys like Drysdale and Zegras to truly succeed and hit their ceiling, especially on the PP.
absolutely

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad