Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I don’t get that sense at all. I think it’s Henrique probably

But we’re all just guessing here

True that we’re all speculating, but the fact that he’s the only one who got waived on a team of veterans who have all deserved to get shot into the sun at various points this year makes this an educated guess

Reactions: AngelDuck

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure if it's a coincidence but since Henrique has been out 4 games, they have looked much better, put in a lot of effort, and worked hard and even won a couple and were close in the other ones. Maybe that's just the Zegras effect. lol. 3 points in 4 games since returning. Should have double the amount of points if he had better luck, with the way he has been playing, lol.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Honestly the only players that ever seemed mad about losing from what I’ve seen was Gibson and lindholm(then again lindholm looks mad every time they score a goal when he’s on the ice) ... and occasionally getzlaf the rest seem like they are just collecting a pay check and don’t care about losing
Like Fowler who just stands there when getting scored on as if nothing happened.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I can't tell if zegras is unlucky with his shot or just lacking accuracy. He could easily have 10 goals so far this season. It feels like bad luck but who knows.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I can't tell if zegras is unlucky with his shot or just lacking accuracy. He could easily have 10 goals so far this season. It feels like bad luck but who knows.
I think the accuracy is not bad, but I think he needs to put more power behind it.
He gets a lot of PP one-timers on the right side, but by the time the puck gets to the net the goalies are always there already.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

Bad luck? He just got called up. And he’s transitioning from wing to center as a first line with Comtois. If Murray wants to save his job and even be considered. He better sign that kid Comtois. We making big moves this off season. And that line is dynamic if we ever seen one for the past 3 years. Wait for the transition @Trojans86 Zegras isn’t all talk in the AHL and no walk in the NHL. You’ve seen his brilliance barely here while his ears are still wet

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Bad luck? He just got called up. And he’s transitioning from wing to center as a first line with Comtois. If Murray wants to save his job and even be considered. He better sign that kid Comtois. We making big moves this off season. And that line is dynamic if we ever seen one for the past 3 years. Wait for the transition @Trojans86 Zegras isn’t all talk in the AHL and no walk in the NHL. You’ve seen his brilliance barely here while his ears are still wet

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My bad. I was saying he is doing a great job getting high quality of chances but hasn't hit the back of the net a ton. He has hit a ton of posts and has barely missed a bunch of other times.

I think he is doing amazing and the stint in SD really helped his confidence.

Reactions: Kalv

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. My bad. I was saying he is doing a great job getting high quality of chances but hasn't hit the back of the net a ton. He has hit a ton of posts and has barely missed a bunch of other times.

I think he is doing amazing and the stint in SD really helped his confidence.

Completely agree. It’s partially my fault because I included Comtois into the mix as well. But I’m going to be very upset if they don’t re sign Comtois this off season. Every fan, every Coach, everyone in our front office, even our parking staff knows how good Zegras has been with Comtois as his line mate. They are two peas in a pod. I would love both to grow with each other.

Im going on a tangent, and I get that. But did you see the Kings game? The kid has eyes in back of his head and knew Comtois was crashing the net when he passed the puck back behind the Kings goal. That’s some Perry and Getzlaf shit man. Chemistry is very hard to be taught. And that came natural

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Zegras and Comtois together is kind of just common sense. Comtois is good at getting to scoring areas and getting shots off quickly, whereas Zegras has the vision and skill to find anyone anywhere. As long as they aren't a disaster defensively, they should work very well together. Finding their RW will be important. I don't mind Terry there for now, but I'm sure plenty of players will get an opportunity with them over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Leonardo87

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Zegras and Comtois together is kind of just common sense. Comtois is good at getting to scoring areas and getting shots off quickly, whereas Zegras has the vision and skill to find anyone anywhere. As long as they aren't a disaster defensively, they should work very well together. Finding their RW will be important. I don't mind Terry there for now, but I'm sure plenty of players will get an opportunity with them over the next couple of years.
oh, so we're back to having to find a winger for our top center and top winger again lol. Getz/Perry 2.0

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The fact that he’s at .5 PPG in his age 19 season while shooting 4% is very very encouraging.

We have definite reason to believe he will be our leading scorer starting next season

Reactions: Leonardo87 and Kalv

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The fact that he’s at .5 PPG in his age 19 season while shooting 4% is very very encouraging.

We have definite reason to believe he will be our leading scorer starting next season

He could easily be at a PPG with the amount of chances he set up for his line-mates, and the amount of posts he hit. Glad he picked up a point, deserved it, that pass to Comtois was sweet, if he buried it, would have been a highlight play. He also had 6 SOG, which is also encouraging.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras leads the team in PP TOI/game. Can't say they're not giving him his chances. He also has zero PP points (in 22 games!) which isn't great. Plenty of room for improvement there.

Yeah, I think he has made the PP look a lot better, especially with Drysdale on there. Drysdale is very good at keeping the puck in the zone something Shattenkirk was very bad at and Z is good at finding those open lanes, and will take the shot himself. But guys need to move more on there, let the PK'ers work and tire them out. It's in the right direction but really want to start seeing some results, so yeah room for improvement no doubt. The fact that he is at a .50 PPG from just ES production is a very good sign.

If they can fix this PP, make it middle of the road, this team may be on the bubble as soon as next season.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, I think he has made the PP look a lot better, especially with Drysdale on there. Drysdale is very good at keeping the puck in the zone something Shattenkirk was very bad at and Z is good at finding those open lanes, and will take the shot himself. But guys need to move more on there, let the PK'ers work and tire them out. It's in the right direction but really want to start seeing some results, so yeah room for improvement no doubt. The fact that he is at a .50 PPG from just ES production is a very good sign.

If they can fix this PP, make it middle of the road, this team may be on the bubble as soon as next season.
I mean, only 7 Ducks have power play goals this year. Rakell also has zero. Comtois has just 1, in 53 games. Getz leads the team with 3. We may end up under 9% this year.

Reactions: Leonardo87

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What would you say his odds to win Calder next season are? Who will be his competition?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean, only 7 Ducks have power play goals this year. Rakell also has zero. Comtois has just 1, in 53 games. Getz leads the team with 3. We may end up under 9% this year.

It's so bad dude. imagine if they had maybe another 10 PP goals? They are also 2nd to last, next to Columbus for PP opportunities. Buffalo who is the only team below them in the standings has 29 PP goals. Crazy.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think he is a favorite lol, who do you think will be his competition? No one from this draft will probably be in NHL next season because of missed time from COV.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Completely agree. It’s partially my fault because I included Comtois into the mix as well. But I’m going to be very upset if they don’t re sign Comtois this off season. Every fan, every Coach, everyone in our front office, even our parking staff knows how good Zegras has been with Comtois as his line mate. They are two peas in a pod. I would love both to grow with each other.
Why are you worried about it? Comtois is a RFA
What would you say his odds to win Calder next season are? Who will be his competition?
Will he be eligible?
And Drysdale?

To me they are NHL regulars already.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Competition would probably be somebody from the 2019 or 2020 who sort of comes from off the radar - who knows, could even be one of his own teammates :nod:. I do think he has the best shot of anybody though, but the lack of finish on the Ducks is a legitimate concern - don't see Bob doing anything big in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad