Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Good he’s going to the AHL. Everything about that formal statement though is weird.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
10 years ago maybe but for today's players that more describes wingers. Aside from the Hart level types all the best playmakers play the wing now. Which isn't to say anything of Zegras but it's very easy to see why some would think he ends up there.
I would say the only time you don't see an elite playmaker play center is when he isn't physically strong enough to play center. There are always exceptions but in general you want your best player and best playmakers to play center if they can handle it. No guarantee zegras will be able to handle the physicality but I bet his man body will be pretty solid. Playmaking wingers like Kane, marner, gudreu are usually much slighter and weaker than where I project zegras.

Imo

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I would say the only time you don't see an elite playmaker play center is when he isn't physically strong enough to play center. There are always exceptions but in general you want your best player and best playmakers to play center if they can handle it. No guarantee zegras will be able to handle the physicality but I bet his man body will be pretty solid. Playmaking wingers like Kane, marner, gudreu are usually much slighter and weaker than where I project zegras.

Imo

Again, this was true ten years ago but it just isn't anymore. You obviously have your McDavids, your Crosbys, your Draisaitls and your MacKinnons but they're just the best players in the league. Past them the playmaking center is kind of a throwback and again, most of the best playmakers play the wing now, at least those just beneath that cream of the crop tier. Kucherov, Panarin, Wheeler, Marchand, none of those guys are weak.

None of that is to say Zegras can't or won't succeed at center but again it's not hard to see why some would think he'll be a winger.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Again, this was true ten years ago but it just isn't anymore. You obviously have your McDavids, your Crosbys, your Draisaitls and your MacKinnons but they're just the best players in the league. Past them the playmaking center is kind of a throwback and again, most of the best playmakers play the wing now, at least those just beneath that cream of the crop tier. Kucherov, Panarin, Wheeler, Marchand, none of those guys are weak.

None of that is to say Zegras can't or won't succeed at center but again it's not hard to see why some would think he'll be a winger.
Kucherov, panarin and marchand are all under 6 ft, which would be small for nhl standards but all 3 would also be great centers if needed. I'd also say zegras is more of a pure playmaker while those guys are kind of hybrid playmaker/scorers. Wheelers is a whole different category of power forward.

Zegras would be totally fine as a winger and nowadays there isn't nearly as much difference between winger and center (which makes sense with your comment about 10 years ago).

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Kucherov, panarin and marchand are all under 6 ft, which would be small for nhl standards but all 3 would also be great centers if needed. I'd also say zegras is more of a pure playmaker while those guys are kind of hybrid playmaker/scorers. Wheelers is a whole different category of power forward.

Zegras would be totally fine as a winger and nowadays there isn't nearly as much difference between winger and center (which makes sense with your comment about 10 years ago).

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

You said playmakers basically only get moved out if they're too weak to handle center lol and that's not true for any of those guys(or someone like Kane either for that matter). Zegras isn't exactly a giant either, don't know why you'd expect a drastically different body type than many of these guys.

These guys can all score but I'd hope Zegras can too once he's in his prime. But there's no mistake what they're better at and they're all some of the best playmakers in the league. At some point you've just gotta realize your beliefs are outdated, if anything teams have been kicking their playmakers out to the wing and not the other way around.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
You said playmakers basically only get moved out if they're too weak to handle center lol and that's not true for any of those guys(or someone like Kane either for that matter). Zegras isn't exactly a giant either, don't know why you'd expect a drastically different body type than many of these guys.

These guys can all score but I'd hope Zegras can too once he's in his prime. But there's no mistake what they're better at and they're all some of the best playmakers in the league. At some point you've just gotta realize your beliefs are outdated, if anything teams have been kicking their playmakers out to the wing and not the other way around.
My beliefs are that the forward spots are largely interchangeable and that isn't outdated. My other belief is that high end play makers with decent size usually end up at center. I will 100% give you that zegras isn't a big guy. I will also say that zegras is very much a pass first guy, which lends itself to being a center. Who knows where he ends up but that's just what I like to see. No idea what your prototypical center looks like if it isn't a larger playmaking center.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
My beliefs are that the forward spots are largely interchangeable and that isn't outdated. My other belief is that high end play makers with decent size usually end up at center. I will 100% give you that zegras isn't a big guy. I will also say that zegras is very much a pass first guy, which lends itself to being a center. Who knows where he ends up but that's just what I like to see. No idea what your prototypical center looks like if it isn't a larger playmaking center.

Lol Jesus Christ, no, not anymore it doesn't. Its like you're not reading anything at all.

Your second belief also isn't exactly compatible with the first and is not remotely true. I'd stick with the first, it's at least close enough.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This is a positive situation and i don't see why we should argue, they are gonna out if Zegras can transition to Center as well as they think he can.
Zegras succeeds either way, whether he does very well in transitioning to Center or goes back to the wing. In either case he's gonna be making a impact on the team next season.
If he succeeds at Center that means they get more value out of him based on value of the center position.

Reactions: MCB

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Lol Jesus Christ, no, not anymore it doesn't. Its like you're not reading anything at all.

Your second belief also isn't exactly compatible with the first and is not remotely true. I'd stick with the first, it's at least close enough.
Damn, so bent out of shape because someone has an opinion? I'll remind myself never to reply to anything of yours again.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Damn, so bent out of shape because someone has an opinion? I'll remind myself never to reply to anything of yours again.

You're not giving an opinion, though, you keep stating untrue things as facts. Like it'd be one thing to say you like playmakers to play center but you're not, you're saying the best playmakers generally play center and that's not remotely true.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
You're not giving an opinion, though, you keep stating untrue things as facts. Like it'd be one thing to say you like playmakers to play center but you're not, you're saying the best playmakers generally play center and that's not remotely true.
Do I need to rephrase it for you. In my opinion I see the best play makers playing center unless they are on the smaller side. I even said generally because there are clear exceptions. I don't have any stats so that's just what I see and also what I like for the Ducks (an opinion).

Zegras isn't that big so I can see him not fitting my bucket of big strong centerman but I not projecting his position on his body today. I'm trying to project where he will be.

Now if you have a different opinion, state it. Don't come in here and bitch and complain and have a tantrum without even providing what you like as a center. Only reason I was responding was because I was waiting for your viewpoint. I'm not married to mine, that's just how I see it right now.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Do I need to rephrase it for you. In my opinion I see the best play makers playing center unless they are on the smaller side. I even said generally because there are clear exceptions. I don't have any stats so that's just what I see and also what I like for the Ducks (an opinion).

Zegras isn't that big so I can see him not fitting my bucket of big strong centerman but I not projecting his position on his body today. I'm trying to project where he will be.

Now if you have a different opinion, state it. Don't come in here and bitch and complain and have a tantrum without even providing what you like as a center. Only reason I was responding was because I was waiting for your viewpoint. I'm not married to mine, that's just how I see it right now.

That's not at all what you said. You didn't say thats what you like, you said that's how it is. You even gave a laughable fake reason for why some playmaking types don't play center. It would be weird if it wasn't exhausting.

I'm not the one throwing a tantrum lol I'm just calling out the BS. And you're proving me right by now trying to claim its only an opinion. You didn't say anything about what you like, you literally said "in general you want your best player and best playmakers to play center".

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This seems like a good thing? I'm not sure why people are so mad about it. If he can be a dominant center, great. Our long term future at center is pretty bleak right now.

Yeah, I would think this is what everyone wanted. A potential 1c for this team, even if he ends up as a top line winger that is fine, but this is still an opportunity to really get what the Ducks truly need, a Top 6 center. I'm actually excited about this and really hope this works out for Z at center. Maybe they land another Top 6 , 1C potential center in this draft. Adds more depth to the center position and can then try and add some scoring wingers.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am mostly glad this is happening so he is sent down to develop a bit. I dont see him as a Center (too small and not as engaged-see Lundstrom as a good example), but think he needs some more time in the AHL to learn to dominate and add another year of physical growth. Long term i see him as a playmaking winger.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
This is a positive situation and i don't see why we should argue, they are gonna out if Zegras can transition to Center as well as they think he can.
Zegras succeeds either way, whether he does very well in transitioning to Center or goes back to the wing. In either case he's gonna be making a impact on the team next season.
If he succeeds at Center that means they get more value out of him based on value of the center position.
I agree with this, I just hope if it's not panning out they don't spend too much time on the project and waste his development.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm not an Xs and Os expert, but I believe most teams play an F1-F2-F3 system offensively, which limits the need for your C to be your playmaker.

In transition, I think he'd be better at making a quick outlet pass than he would be just skating the puck at full speed himself. His skating is more about quickness side to side and moves in small space than it is lateral puck-carrying.

When I think of Cs in the current NHL, I think defensive responsibilities and taking faceoffs. I have trouble imagining Zegras being the third guy I want in the high-priority defensive areas after the two D.

But maybe I'm basing too much of my impression on his scrawniness as a 20-year-old and he'll be a different player in a couple of years. I see a poor man's Patrick Kane out there right now.

I'm not sorry they're trying it or anything.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm not an Xs and Os expert, but I believe most teams play an F1-F2-F3 system offensively, which limits the need for your C to be your playmaker.

In transition, I think he'd be better at making a quick outlet pass than he would be just skating the puck at full speed himself. His skating is more about quickness side to side and moves in small space than it is lateral puck-carrying.

When I think of Cs in the current NHL, I think defensive responsibilities and taking faceoffs. I have trouble imagining Zegras being the third guy I want in the high-priority defensive areas after the two D.

But maybe I'm basing too much of my impression on his scrawniness as a 20-year-old and he'll be a different player in a couple of years. I see a poor man's Patrick Kane out there right now.

The biggest thing to me is where he's most comfortable. Obviously how he handles the defensive side too, otherwise you might end up with a Max Domi situation, but play style really has nothing to do with it to me. For the team's sake you probably hope he's a center but if he's not he's not.

I also don't think he is or is going to be nearly as pass first as others do. He's a teenage rookie not playing a ton and would probably be second in shots on goal if he had played every game. I don't think he'll be much like Getzlaf if that sense, he's not at all afraid to shoot.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I'm not sorry they're trying it or anything.
I agree with pretty much everything you said here. So much really just depends on how his body matures. When I look for centers I'm looking at 3 primary areas of focus. D zone coverage, faceoffs and supporting in transition.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's easy to say just keep him at wing and let him score points. But the Ducks weren't able to acquire DuBois and don't have anyone in their system that can center a legit first line. I have to assume that Zegras is on board with this, therefore I think it is in the best interests of the Ducks moving forward. The idea that a center has to be physically huge is narrow minded. Kind of like thinking that good goalies need to be 6'5'' or that D pairings have to include a puck mover and a net front stay at home guy.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's easy to say just keep him at wing and let him score points. But the Ducks weren't able to acquire DuBois and don't have anyone in their system that can center a legit first line. I have to assume that Zegras is on board with this, therefore I think it is in the best interests of the Ducks moving forward. The idea that a center has to be physically huge is narrow minded. Kind of like thinking that good goalies need to be 6'5'' or that D pairings have to include a puck mover and a net front stay at home guy.

I mean I see a lot of top centers around the league the same height so I don't understand that notion, and I expect Zegras to add muscle this summer. Some people don't seem to think he can do it, this is going to be a challenge for sure, but Zegras looks like the type who is up for this kind of challenge, and if he is able to touch the puck more and possess the puck more, this could be a very good thing. Like you said they missed out on Dubois, and I highly doubt they can get someone like Barkov. So have to look within and hopefully this draft, they can even add another potential 1C/2C as well.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I definitely don't think they have to be physically huge but I also think he has to be stronger than he is now. He just gets pushed off the puck too much right now. I'm sure he will grow into his body but I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring conversation with Zegras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad