Prospect Info: With the #81 pick, the Wild select RW Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This guy sounds like someone who if he never sees the NHL would at least be able to protect the developing talent in the AHL. If he makes it to the NHL I could see his ceiling being Clutterbuck. If he ever makes it that is.

It doesn't hurt to have a few guys that can bust heads in the system.

Agreed. I'm a bit skeptical about him but hopefully he can develop his physical game into something useful at the NHL level...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't see how anyone can defend the worst draft pick - on paper - since Matt Kassian.

Because sometimes being optimistic is more fun than being right, especially when it involves something that you have 0% control over.

But what do I know? I was actually rooting for the Wild to be successful in the playoffs last year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because sometimes being optimistic is more fun than being right, especially when it involves something that you have 0% control over.

But what do I know? I was actually rooting for the Wild to be successful in the playoffs last year.

But in a draft it's easier to be right if you claim bust everytime, since most players drafted never play in the NHL.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
All I will say is, work ethic is contagious.

Ive played ennough sports to know and witness when you see someone give 110% it only fuels the people around that person to work just as hard.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Based on Kurtis' age, anybody figure if he'll go straight to the AHL next season?

I still think that he was targeted to be a 3rd or 4th liner with an impact sooner rather than later.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Based on Kurtis' age, anybody figure if he'll go straight to the AHL next season?

I still think that he was targeted to be a 3rd or 4th liner with an impact sooner rather than later.

He should, not sure what the CHL rules are on if he can return or not, might have something to do with his bday.

In any case I don't mind this pick, its targeting a certain type of player.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Someone within the staff stuck their neck/opinion out in a big way in terms of what they see his prospects are moving forward. We'll see how it turns out.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So you don't think Clutterbuck or Hackett had any value for the Wild? See, I can play this game as well.

Not the same game. No one considers a 3rd round pick high. It was a clumsy attempt at making this pick seem worse.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Odd pick, yes, but Gabriel will be in Iowa next season and available for a call-up. And Iowa and eventually the Wild are going to need some big scary men at forward. Plus, there is some upside there.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not the same game. No one considers a 3rd round pick high. It was a clumsy attempt at making this pick seem worse.

Really? Why is it not the same game?

So, the Islanders didn't think the 3rd round pick they got for Nino, any value?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Really? Why is it not the same game?

So, the Islanders didn't think the 3rd round pick they got for Nino, any value?

Not sure why you always try this. You literally said high pick. A third rounder isn't a high pick. All picks have some sort of value. The third was a sweetener. It wasn't the focus of the trade for the isles. Necessary yes but not the main piece.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's AHL eligible but I can't imagine he's anywhere close to guys like Bussieres and Graovac in terms of skill or even Bulmer. I'd guess he's going to be fighting for the 12th spot when they need a tough guy in the lineup.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Interested to see in camp and any prospect tourney (if traverse is still happening?) if he focuses on gooning. Then we'll have a better read on what the club might be looking for exactly.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Interested to see in camp and any prospect tourney (if traverse is still happening?) if he focuses on gooning. Then we'll have a better read on what the club might be looking for exactly.

I think the Wild management is seeing the value in goons who can play 7-14 minutes a night, so Gabriel would be best suited by making sure he can do more than "goon". Whether its PK, forecheck, faceoffs, or emergency goalie .... he will needs to make sure he practices other skills than just fighting.

IMHO the era of 2 minute TOI Boogey/Gratton/Mirasty etc. players is over.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Couple of very recent pictures of Kurtis Gabriel at the Owen Sound website:
http://www.attackhockey.com/photo_gallery/gallery/id/6000

Look at how skinny this 20 year old is. His arms are like toothpicks yet several articles imply he's a workout warrior in the weight room. He's willing to drop the gloves in the OHL but from the clips I looked at his fights were unimpressive; lots of punches thrown, few landed. He got smoked by a 5'8" guy (hard to do when you're 6'4").

If he wants to be an enforcer type in the AHL he'll be facing some legit heavyweights. Guess we'll see if he can hold his own or not. I'm doubtful by looking at his small frame and lack of muscle. Hope he's not an Aaron Voros type tough guy.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
They've repeatedly said he's a good north/south player, fit the Mike Rupp mold?

I will celebrate the day when the Wild can supply the bottom lines internally. I do think a good 3rd line can be a scoring line, but your 4th line shouldn't be an off-season free agent target.

Carson McMillan, I'm looking at you dude!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
But you said last year's draft was atrocious.

Dumba can hit, the problem is, can he do that in the NHL?

Not sure why you always try this. You literally said high pick. A third rounder isn't a high pick. All picks have some sort of value. The third was a sweetener. It wasn't the focus of the trade for the isles. Necessary yes but not the main piece.

3rd round picks are high, especially in a draft like this. You still find some very solid players that can contribute to your team in the 3rd round and good draft projects. Once you get into the 4th-7th picks, those are the low draft picks. Hell, Zucker was 2 picks away from the third round.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I am fine with the pick, just get him later

Wish I were a car salesmen when half the poster come in. Over paying for what you want is only good if it is a sure thing your item will be gone. We could have gotten him later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad