Prospect Info: With the #81 pick, the Wild select RW Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Nobody said we were more qualified. But most of these kids won't make the NHL. Sorry I'm not going to jump for joy and defend every Fletcher pick for no reason whatsoever.

I don't think any of us are jumping with joy. I believe most of us are all a bit surprised about the pick. But at the same time, I'm not going to the other extreme either and jump in angry and attack every Fletcher pick for no reason whatsoever.

The only thing I think all of us are going on is stats and numbers. I think the best time to really go to either extreme is when we get to see him play during the Prospect Developmental Camp

OpRedDawn*

Nobody said we were more qualified. But most of these kids won't make the NHL. Sorry I'm not going to jump for joy and defend every Fletcher pick for no reason whatsoever.

Lol.....

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

Eh in general most people on message boards don't scout heavily, so when someone tries to use "facts" which they made up or have a huge bias for to try and say why people who get paid money to do this are dead on wrong it sounds foolish. Its fine to not like the pick, but there are ways of stating that with out looking like a fool, this isn't everyone btw, just a few individuals who "know it all"

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Where were my opinions "extreme"? I said the player doesn't seem like a guy who will ever make the NHL. That's an extreme opinion? Really?

Have you been to the trade forum at all? Have you read those guys posts?

Just find it hilarious the last three months since the Pominville trade a huge number of posters in this forum have completely thrown me under the bus. Ridiculous.

J22*

I just find it ridiculous the few people who aren't cheerleading the picks are getting completely ripped and thrown under the bus and treated like idiots.

Almost as ridiculous as a person who thinks they know what a good or bad pick is after 3 minutes on hockeydatabase

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I don't think any of us are jumping with joy. I believe most of us are all a bit surprised about the pick. But at the same time, I'm not going to the other extreme either and jump in angry and attack every Fletcher pick for no reason whatsoever.

The only thing I think all of us are going on is stats and numbers. I think the best time to really go to either extreme is when we get to see him play during the Prospect Developmental Camp
I don't disagree with that at all and this was the only pick I am complaining about and it is because this pick is completely out of left field and involves a player that no one even bothered to do a profile on.

Sorry, but it certainly appears for all intents and purposes to have been an incredible reach when there was still reasonable talent on the board. You will have to convince me that Gabriel was not going to be around later or wait until Gabriel proves me wrong in order for me to not be critical of this particular pick at this particular point in time.

No anger or extremes involved at all to say today that there were better players on the board than Kurtis "Rudy" Gabriel.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
I'd be okay with a Rudy.

250px-Ruutu_2009-05-12_531v1_wiki.jpg

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Where were my opinions "extreme"? I said the player doesn't seem like a guy who will ever make the NHL. That's an extreme opinion? Really?

Have you been to the trade forum at all? Have you read those guys posts?

Just find it hilarious the last three months since the Pominville trade a huge number of posters in this forum have completely thrown me under the bus. Ridiculous.

I'm sorry, did I write "you" or "Jarick" by mistake into the post? I'm sorry, English isn't my first language. The post wasn't meant to single you out, just quote your point and didn't mean to make upset on my poor English comprehension.

I didn't even read your previous post but now that we ARE on to you....yes, it is a bit extreme. It is extreme is because you have written him off before seeing him play. Adding the word "seems" doesn't lighten it you most likely unintended effect.

And you know what I do find ridiculous .. you thinking any of us are cheerleading the pick. There is a difference between bring out the pom poms and willing to wait to perhaps see him with our own eyes or getting more scouting reports outside of stat lines.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't disagree with that at all and this was the only pick I am complaining about and it is because this pick is completely out of left field and involves a player that no one even bothered to do a profile on.

Sorry, but it certainly appears for all intents and purposes to have been an incredible reach when there was still reasonable talent on the board. You will have to convince me that Gabriel was not going to be around later or wait until Gabriel proves me wrong in order for me to not be critical of this particular pick at this particular point in time.

No anger or extremes involved at all to say today that there were better players on the board than Kurtis "Rudy" Gabriel.

I agree he was a reach and I could very well come back this Christmas totally hating the pick, but I am very willing to wait and watch him play and talk to some OHL scouts before saying he is a bust. Its too immature, same as it is too immature to say he is a GREAT pick!

Many see his flaws on hockeydb + quick articles: overager, limited scoring, little news of him.
But the EXACT same thing can be done to identify his strengths: 6-4 210lbs, nicknamed The Sledgehammer, worldclass work ethic.

I'm on the fence leaning towards the disappointed side, but I disagree with anyone that goes to the extreme and calls him a waste of a pick without actually watching him play or talking to OHL knowledgable people. I would attack anyone equally who says HE IS GOING TO BE AN NHLER FOR SURE!

OpRedDawn*

It's not like they sat there and said "well, there's this guaranteed NHLer, but I'd rather take this guy who sucks and prolly won't make it lol"

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Paper is all we really have to go on. So if we go by what we have, it's a selection that should be universally questioned.

Love this attitude.

I question it. An overager tough guy with limited offensive stats? Not exactly an exciting pick...

But when I am defending the pick, I'm more along the lines of defending it against people who go past the point of questioning and just have one simple answer stuck in their head: he's a bust.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Bjorkstrand, Slepyshev (might have been a better overager), Thompson, Williams, Fasching, Fitzgerald,

We got Bulmer and Bussieres. Dumba as well. Not to mention Veilleux, Rupp, and Konopka. Nieder and Heater aren't pansies either and Setoguchi can hit.

But you said last year's draft was atrocious.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
This guy sounds like someone who if he never sees the NHL would at least be able to protect the developing talent in the AHL. If he makes it to the NHL I could see his ceiling being Clutterbuck. If he ever makes it that is.

It doesn't hurt to have a few guys that can bust heads in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad