Prospect Info: With the #81 pick, the Wild select RW Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Someone is putting a very nice twist on how some were slammed for just questioning the pick.

Also, I am about to hurl listening to the he has a great "work ethic" argument as a reason to draft him in the 3rd. There are a whole **** load of players with great "work ethic" who also have skill to go along with it.

He has great "work ethic" is usually like saying to a friend before a blind date "she has a great personality."

yeah, they're usually gone halfway through the 2nd.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
someone compile an updated list of Wild player twitter handles? @Gaber_29

OpRedDawn*

Trusting Fletcher / Flahr to have their reasons for the pick =/= blindly defending a pick.

WildFinn*

Im not sure what to think, im trying to get info on him.

Flahr said its a reaction to where the game is developing but third round seems funny for his skill set.

If the attitude part is like in the story im sure he will be an NHL player in some role.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Someone is putting a very nice twist on how some were slammed for just questioning the pick.

Also, I am about to hurl listening to the he has a great "work ethic" argument as a reason to draft him in the 3rd. There are a whole **** load of players with great "work ethic" who also have skill to go along with it.

He has great "work ethic" is usually like saying to a friend before a blind date "she has a great personality."

So what are you suggesting? That the Wild just threw a dart at the wall and it landed on Gabriel's name? You don't think it's possible that the Wild have a legitimate reason for having him ranked higher on their board than CSS had him on theirs?

The chances of a 3rd round pick playing over 100 games in the NHL is pretty remote regardless of where they are ranked on anybody's list.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the Wild invested alot of time scouting this kid, in fact, probably more than some other teams and even the CSS.

My opinion of Gabriel is that I have no opinion because I've never seen even a picture, let alone of highlight reel on You-Tube. All he is to me is the name of a new Wild prospect who I will start to follow from here on out.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
So what are you suggesting? That the Wild just threw a dart at the wall and it landed on Gabriel's name? You don't think it's possible that the Wild have a legitimate reason for having him ranked higher on their board than CSS had him on theirs?

The chances of a 3rd round pick playing over 100 games in the NHL is pretty remote regardless of where they are ranked on anybody's list.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the Wild invested alot of time scouting this kid, in fact, probably more than some other teams and even the CSS.

My opinion of Gabriel is that I have no opinion because I've never seen even a picture, let alone of highlight reel on You-Tube. All he is to me is the name of a new Wild prospect who I will start to follow from here on out.

gabriel.kurtis2247.JPG

Alright, Muck. Time for you to form an opinion :naughty:

Personally, I think Fletcher had some type of reasoning as to why he picked Gabriel. I've said so before, but I am assuming they liked what they got out of Rupp this year and want a longer term option in a similar mold to the guy. A younger and healthier version.

:dunno: hopefully it pans out.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle

Yeah, that is what I have written, the Wild threw a dart at a board. :help: and :shakehead

I swear to ****ing god the snobbery around here sometimes is almost as unbearable as the Wild site board.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Hockey's Future and a few other websites talked about Gabriel.

Hockey's Future
Head Scratchers

The Minnesota Wild made a curious selection in the third round when they selected Kurtis Gabriel, a 20-year-old forward out of the OHL. Not ranked by Central Scouting, Gabriel projects as little more than a gritty journeyman forward. The Wild made another interesting pick in the fourth round when they selected Dylan Labbe, a puck-moving defenseman out of the QMJHL who last year posted a minus-40 rating with the Shawinigan Cataractes.
Gone Puck Wild
Gabriel brings a physical presence to the Wild with a power forward style of play and the willingness to drop the gloves and fight to defend a teammate or bring about a momentum swing. He’s had to work hard each step of his way toward a NHL career. Kurtis was a walk on and made the Attack team through tryouts in 2010. He was also passed over by all 30 NHL clubs in the 2011 and 2012 entry drafts before being taken in the third round this year. It wil be interesting to see how he performs at the Minnesota Wild’s prospect camps prior to Minnesota’s NHL camp this coming September. Gabriel strikes me as a Matt Kassian style of player with better offensive upside than the former Wild and current Ottawa Senator’s enforcer. Wild Assistant General Manager Brent Flahr described Gabriel as a, “Big imposing winger that brings a physical element every night.”

Seems that HF agrees with the general consensus here. Meh.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
what's the general consensus on HF's competency in grading/ranking prospects?

Mostly okay. Obviously they have some misses(Duncan Kieth was a 5.0D for a while, IIRC. And Filatov was like an 8.0B or something), but overall they do alright.

The problem is that each team has a writer, and some writers watch prospects more than others. So some writers have better prediction skills that some other writers.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Mostly okay. Obviously they have some misses(Duncan Kieth was a 5.0D for a while, IIRC. And Filatov was like an 8.0B or something), but overall they do alright.

The problem is that each team has a writer, and some writers watch prospects more than others. So some writers have better prediction skills that some other writers.

i'm not saying one way or the other, but it's generally a ****storm of "Wtf" when they post something from what i've noticed on the main boards.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
doesn't really matter though...he will most likely be a bust. simply because most players that late are. therefor not worth losing any sleep or vilifying the scouting staff over.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i think they're more bashing Flahr/Fletcher than the player, but same reasoning applies. For me, even if he looks atrocious in camp I'm not going to sweat it.

WildFinn*

Was this posted?

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2013/06/27/kurtis-gabriel-close-to-achieving-his-hockey-dream

He's already playing a pro-type game and that's what really put him on the radar," Attack coach Greg Ireland said.

"A lot of teams are saying that a guy that big who is that physical and skates that well and is only just starting to blossom now, where can he be in two or three years."

"I think his potential is huge," said Ireland. "His hands continue to get better. His hockey sense is above average. His work ethic is off the chart. Those are pretty good building blocks to start with."

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
doesn't really matter though...he will most likely be a bust. simply because most players that late are. therefor not worth losing any sleep or vilifying the scouting staff over.

81st pick?

Well after the 81st pick in the past 10 years you got these players:
Kyle Rau
Scott Wedgewood
Stanislav Galiev
Cody Eakin
Adam Henrique
Tom Sestito
Danny Syvret
Ben Bishop
TJ Hensick
(Jonathan Quick was 72nd overall pick)
Alexei Emelin
Justin Pogge
Alexander Edler
Thomas Greiss
Johan Franzen
Dustin Boyd

Yep, you can't get a good player after the 81st pick. And before you say it, I know it's not a lot of players but that is a damn good list IMO. That's why you don't reach for a player.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
81st pick?

Kyle Rau
Scott Wedgewood
Stanislav Galiev
Cody Eakin
Adam Henrique
Tom Sestito
Danny Syvret
Ben Bishop
TJ Hensick
Alexei Emelin
Justin Pogge
Alexander Edler
Thomas Greiss
Johan Franzen
Dustin Boyd

Yep, you can't get a good player after the 81st pick. And before you say it, I know it's not a lot of players but that is a damn good list IMO. That's why you don't reach for a player.

just a hunch, but i'm guessing a couple of those guys were "reaches". the truth is a third round pick--any of them--is a reach to even be called a career NHLr nevermind an impact player. What we have to go on as far as third party reporting has been pretty slim and mixed. Let's call it a wash. I get that you don't like Fletcher/Flahr/the Wild in general but lets just not pretend a 3rd round pick making an impact is anything but a shot in the dark for anyone.

edit: and i never said you couldn't get a good player, but keep repeating that if it makes you feel better.

mnwild2012

Jun 11, 2011
81st pick?

Kyle Rau
Scott Wedgewood
Stanislav Galiev
Cody Eakin
Adam Henrique
Tom Sestito
Danny Syvret
Ben Bishop
TJ Hensick
Alexei Emelin
Justin Pogge
Alexander Edler
Thomas Greiss
Johan Franzen
Dustin Boyd

You listed 16 players in the past 10 years past pick 81. That's a 1.2% chance you draft a good player. Real good odds. I'll wait to make judgement until I see him play.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You listed 16 players in the past 10 years past pick 81. That's a 1.2% chance you draft a good player. Real good odds. I'll wait to make judgement until I see him play.

Actually I left off this year. And I have no idea how the 2011, 2012 or hell even the 2010 draft picks will work themselves out.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How? Gillies was 16th overall.

Even if he doesn't pan out this is way different

Gillies was also picked around where he should have. He was rated in the top 30-45 of prospects. High character, power forward, we had hoped developed an offensive game. Gabriel is the same way. High character, power forward, hope developed an offensive game. It was in response to the lack of toughness that this organization had in both cases that they were picked.

In fact, Gillies made more sense because of where most scouts saw him being taken. Gabriel came out of left field. But both times, the team has needed toughness, so they ignored the skill players that had the same amount of questions, to pick up a checking line forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad