tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
NHL.com profile
Twitter @Gaber_29
HockeyDB
hockeyfights.com
Story/profile on him done by his team's website
Gabriel can’t recall how many times he had gone to triple-A tryouts. But he instantly recalls the number of times he had a sniff of interest from a team, a look past the first skate. “None,” he says. The biggest hole in his game was skating. He struggled to keep up and was pushed off the puck too easily. “There were times when I was out there and I couldn’t wait to get off,” Gabriel says. “I knew I wasn’t making it. I was a double-A player. There were 15 guys better than me every time I stepped on the ice.” But he didn’t know and the coaches who cut him couldn’t see what his best asset was.“The first thing I think of is his focus,” says Joe Pacione, Gabriel’s coach in double-A. “I had to push other kids but not him. Nobody was harder on himself than Kurtis. I went to him before tryouts one year and said that I thought he could play on our blueline. He looked me straight in the eye, dead serious, and said, ‘If I can’t make it as a forward, I don’t deserve to be on this team.’”

5871031.jpg

6'3" RW from the OHL, overager first available in the 2011 draft.

This season:
67GP | 13G | 15A | 28P

Last edited:

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Overager (20 years old), hard-worker, was a feel-good story for Owen Sound. Google his name for some interesting stories.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Very off the board but I enjoy knowing the fact he is a working on and off the ice. Like the fact he sounds like a kid that will give his everything and do anything to improve himself. Sounds like a coach's dream

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Uh, did GMCF stop scouting after the 2011 draft? The last two drafts have been pretty dreadful and this picks makes me think Riser somehow is back with this organization.

What an appalling pick this was.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
oh ****...the 81st pick might not be an impact player?!

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
Actually...

I can't find anything in my draft guides for the last 3 years about this kid. NOT A WORD. This is a complete throw away signing and feel good story or not its an absolute joke we picked him when we did. He would've been available at 207 if we really had to have him that bad. What a crock. Why, wasn't Taro Fujishima's kid not available?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I can't find anything in my draft guides for the last 3 years about this kid. NOT A WORD. This is a complete throw away signing and feel good story or not its an absolute joke we picked him when we did. He would've been available at 207 if we really had to have him that bad. What a crock. Why, wasn't Taro Fujishima's kid not available?

Actually, Gabriel's agent thought there was enough interest in him to be picked 4th-5th round.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
There were some solid talent still there. I mean you can find impact players in the 3rd round.

yes, you can, but it appears to be more luck than anything if you look at how many 3rd rounders are impact players in the NHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
yes, you can, but it appears to be more luck than anything if you look at how many 3rd rounders are impact players in the NHL.

Impact players no. Good players though can still be found. This pick is baffling due to being an overage player, having Bussieres and Bulmer in the system, and who was on the boards.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
how is it perplexing? this team is ****ing soft. he's not a pure goon...he's agitatory. he has work ethic. we all know how the team feels about that.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Impact players no. Good players though can still be found. This pick is baffling due to being an overage player, having Bussieres and Bulmer in the system, and who was on the boards.

Agreed it was off the board pick but do not see anyone I would call a "must have" prospect that we passed up on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad