Prospect Info: With the 33rd overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Nico Myatovic

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Will say, its impressive that he managed to tie for second in goal scoring on a super team while mostly relegated to the third line with little to no PP time due to team star power. Perhaps with less blocking his way next year he reaches another level. He also managed to outscore Danielson, heidt, Ziemmer, Yager and others at even strength points per 60.

In terms of total even strength points they rank

Heidt 54 pts - 68 games played
Ziemmer 53 pts - 68 games played
Myatovic 52 pts - 68 games played
Yager 44 pts - 67 games played
Danielson 40 pts - 68 games played

surprising considering Myatovic likely was getting significantly less opportunity and prime usage. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye here.
Tied second on goalscoring on his team with not alot of PP time, that's pretty exciting to me. Also a shooting percentage of 17% so not like he was shooting at a highly unsustainable level.

Have to think if he is on the first line this coming season, not unrealistic to think there will be a nice uptick in offensive numbers.

Big body, goalscoring winger with untapped offensive potential and solid in his own zone....doesn't read too badly to me.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
I actually like Nico as a player but he was really a reach at 33. And no, comparing two absolutely awful picks in Stramel and Cowan doesn't make the Ducks decision any better. But we'll see how it all plays out. Lots of talent was on the board at 33.
So here’s a fun update via Scott Wheeler of The Athletic in his draft grade article:

“Nico Myatovic with the first pick of Day 2 wasn’t a surprise, even if I had him ranked as more of a late second than an early second. There were multiple teams prepared to take him in the 30s.”

Again, you don’t have to like it, but teams usually aren’t trying to just light 2nd round picks on fire for the fun of it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Interesting that he was the V02 champ this year… we’ve only drafted one other champ and it was Hampus.

He also placed first in reaction time among the CHL prospects.

Here's the link to the top-25 in the combine testing. Just select which testing you want via drop down option. Terrance and Pitre are in the top-25 in other events.

V02 max
1. Myatovic​
14-t. Pitre​
22-t. Terreance​

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Well spoken young man. I'd love to see him get 50 goals next year.
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the player and his upside. It seems at least initially you thought he was picked too early. Do you think he has decent upside, do you see him in a similar light as Gaucher?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the player and his upside. It seems at least initially you thought he was picked too early. Do you think he has decent upside, do you see him in a similar light as Gaucher?
I knew going into the draft that he played very well at the Memorial Cup and really improved this past year going from 4 to 30 goals. If he can continue to progress at anywhere close to that rate next year then he could be a really good prospect. The lack of progression in Gaucher's numbers this season really soured me on him especially after watching him live and seeing his very average skating and well below average puck skills. I think Myatovic has a much higher ceiling than Gaucher.

I still think most other teams in the 33 slot would not have taken him but I'm ok with the pick. Definitely need to see progression though next year. IMO when you start seeing a lack of progression it is time to worry.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
was he worth the 33rd pick?

Short Answer: Maybe?

Longer answer: Worth is kind of interesting word. I thought Sawchyn would get taken higher, I love Myatovic's all round game. Not sure he will ever be a top six guy, but a guy on your 'blue' line that can play scrappy andhave some scoring punch. Maybe less upside than some others taken around that time, but might be more reliable to slot into certain roles.

Next year, this will be Nico's team along with a couple of others, Seattle graduates a ton. I could see him with 40-50 goals and 30-40 assists next year.

Reactions: Kalv and tomd

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I knew going into the draft that he played very well at the Memorial Cup and really improved this past year going from 4 to 30 goals. If he can continue to progress at anywhere close to that rate next year then he could be a really good prospect. The lack of progression in Gaucher's numbers this season really soured me on him especially after watching him live and seeing his very average skating and well below average puck skills. I think Myatovic has a much higher ceiling than Gaucher.

I still think most other teams in the 33 slot would not have taken him but I'm ok with the pick. Definitely need to see progression though next year. IMO when you start seeing a lack of progression it is time to worry.
Exactly, same thing happened with Tschigerl, likely why he wasn’t signed.

Reactions: tomd

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
@superdeluxe can you share some details of how Nico was deployed this year, and how you expect he will be deployed next year. Such as ice time, line mates, was he mostly on the third line, special teams time and so on. And next year is it likely he can get bumped up to the first line with PP1 time, seems like a lot of the guys who kept him down in the line up are on their way out.

P.s. I was lucky enough to be in Vancouver at the time of the memorial cup, and drove up to Kamloops, was surprised at how many Seattle fans there were and how passionate they were. Kind people as well. I payed a bit extra attention to Sawchyn as he has kinda been a scouting media darling but I guess I should have had my eye on Myatovic more. Although I went to the first game against Quebec which did not seem to be Seattle’s best showing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

It's probably true that other teams wouldn't have Myatovic at 33rd because they're not Anaheim. The other lottery teams don't have four out of their top-6 already figured out. Anaheim already does. Asst coach Madden cited he wanted Myatovic to be an "elite support" player and went with a safer prospect. Myatovic is a defensive forward who's goal scoring improved greatly. If his scoring isn't there, then at least he will still be able to contribute defensively at ES and PK.

I wanted Halttunen because I wanted a homerun swing for a top-6, high end scorer. Halttunen is a far riskier gamble than Myatovic. Myatovic's skating is far better than Halttunen, which increases the likelihood of becoming an NHLer and effective PF.

We have a few years to reflect on the decision. Even then, it may not be enough time because the NHL is a different beast. Sam Steel had an amazing D+1 season, looked very good in the AHL, but crapped out at the NHL.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's probably true that other teams wouldn't have Myatovic at 33rd because they're not Anaheim. The other lottery teams don't have four out of their top-6 already figured out. Anaheim already does. Asst coach Madden cited he wanted Myatovic to be an "elite support" player and went with a safer prospect. Myatovic is a defensive forward who's goal scoring improved greatly. If his scoring isn't there, then at least he will still be able to contribute defensively at ES and PK.

I wanted Halttunen because I wanted a homerun swing for a top-6, high end scorer. Halttunen is a far riskier gamble than Myatovic. Myatovic's skating is far better than Halttunen, which increases the likelihood of becoming an NHLer and effective PF.

We have a few years to reflect on the decision. Even then, it may not be enough time because the NHL is a different beast. Sam Steel had an amazing D+1 season, looked very good in the AHL, but crapped out at the NHL.
Good point about why Ducks would take guys like Myatovic and Gaucher. Better fits with who are already going to be in the forward group. I look at the Vegas model with 4 lines that can play and produce. Everyone can't be on the PP, penalty killers are needed as well as guys that are physical and can hold up in their own zone.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

It definitely is team preference. Over the past couple of drafts, teams within the Pacific like Seattle and San Jose have been very focused on high ceiling players in almost every round. By contrast, the Ducks under PV have focused on high ceiling players for only their top pick. They have gone heavy on character and sandpaper for almost every pick after their first pick. I'm not judging either approach but it will be interesting to see which team is more successful in their draft results.

Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It definitely is team preference. Over the past couple of drafts, teams within the Pacific like Seattle and San Jose have been very focused on high ceiling players in almost every round. By contrast, the Ducks under PV have focused on high ceiling players for only their top pick. They have gone heavy on character and sandpaper for almost every pick after their first pick. I'm not judging either approach but it will be interesting to see which team is more successful in their draft results.
I feel like they see value on having a constant stream of middle 6 players in the system… depth is usually a huge deal come playoff time and being able to just plug guys in every year would be a nice way to stay competitive

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I feel like they see value on having a constant stream of middle 6 players in the system… depth is usually a huge deal come playoff time and being able to just plug guys in every year would be a nice way to stay competitive
I agree. But they have to make the playoffs first. And at some point they are going to have to take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round who has a 1st line ceiling. TB did it with Kucherov and Point. Maybe PV will do it next year. He's certainly got the bottom six fully covered with the last couple of drafts.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree. But they have to make the playoffs first. And at some point they are going to have to take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round who has a 1st line ceiling. TB did it with Kucherov and Point. Maybe PV will do it next year. He's certainly got the bottom six fully covered with the last couple of drafts.

In theory the coaching change should improve the team on its own…. And as the defensemen mature and start making the team that’ll help too.

I’m not super concerned with the forwards…. I think there’s a lot to work with and we have plenty of assets to look for those moves to get the burakovsky type players when they become available and we’re ready to make that move

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
In theory the coaching change should improve the team on its own…. And as the defensemen mature and start making the team that’ll help too.

I’m not super concerned with the forwards…. I think there’s a lot to work with and we have plenty of assets to look for those moves to get the burakovsky type players when they become available and we’re ready to make that move
Always cheaper to draft talent than trade for it or acquire through free agency. I don't think the forwards are very deep right now in terms of scoring...especially on the wing. Terry is the only natural top six winger in the organization. Zegras or McTavish may eventually succeed on the wing but they haven't shown that ability so far. No one else is even close.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Don't have the quote handy, but I read something (I think it was Wheeler) that said he wasn't surprised by this pick like some were. He said he thought there were several teams who wanted him higher than his rankings suggested.
As expected. Rarely does 1 team love a player more then anyone else.
Like when Lindholm was drafted, Minny would have taken him a couple picks later.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

It's easy to find 2nd/3rd round guys with raw 1st line talent, but really hard to find a 2nd/3rd round guy who has a 1st line ceiling that actually cashes it in. You could take a high-risk high-reward 2nd rounder every single year for 10 years, and maybe end up with 1 of them? Maybe. The hit rate drops precipitously beyond round 1 for scoring forwards, the vast majority fizzle out for a reason.

You do need to sometimes swing for the fences, but as a general MO I'm not sold on it. It's a strategy that can quickly produce a bare pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad