Prospect Info: With the 33rd overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Nico Myatovic

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
For as much as we hit on high end defensive talent in the early/mid rounds, it seems our philosophy is the opposite with forwards for whatever reason. There's this weird obsession we have with big bodied, high floor/low ceiling guys.

Hopefully we keep some of that cap space in the coming years for high end wingers, because at this point I don't know where our offense is coming from. Carlsson/Terry/Zegras are all creative, naturally pass-first guys that are more 25-30G players than 40+ goal snipers (outside of Terry's 37G season with 20% shooting that we'll likely never see again).
Good point and it’s probably why we find impact forwards in the late first and beyond at a lower rate than other teams.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Here is the scary part of this pick...by virtue of being the 1st pick of the 2nd round it means that the Ducks had him rated as a 1st round pick. That's just crazy.

I don't mind the player but PV showed absolutely horrific asset management. Trade down! That pick was worth way more than the player taken!!!! This is going to be a very long rebuild.
This is only true if you believe NHL teams are working off the same lists the public is, which history has shown they are not.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Here is the scary part of this pick...by virtue of being the 1st pick of the 2nd round it means that the Ducks had him rated as a 1st round pick. That's just crazy.
Why is that scary? And while this is true by technically, I don’t think teams view value in the same way. It’s more likely the Ducks saw an ‘x’ amount of grade A talent in the draft, and then a drop off to B and C grade talent etc. I’m sure the 1st round had already progressed well into their B talent list at some point, there isn’t any other rigid view of what it means to be a 1st rd pick. And I mean, Nico is no crazier than Cowan or a Stramel really. I’m always amazed that people think kids that pop in junior are guaranteed higher ceilings in the pros vs guys that are developing pro league tools slowly.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why is that scary? And while this is true by technically, I don’t think teams view value in the same way. It’s more likely the Ducks saw an ‘x’ amount of grade A talent in the draft, and then a drop off to B and C grade talent etc. I’m sure the 1st round had already progressed well into their B talent list at some point, there isn’t any other rigid view of what it means to be a 1st rd pick. And I mean, Nico is no crazier than Cowan or a Stramel really. I’m always amazed that people think kids that pop in junior are guaranteed higher ceilings in the pros vs guys that are developing pro league tools slowly.
I actually like Nico as a player but he was really a reach at 33. And no, comparing two absolutely awful picks in Stramel and Cowan doesn't make the Ducks decision any better. But we'll see how it all plays out. Lots of talent was on the board at 33.

Reactions: Hollel

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I actually like Nico as a player but he was really a reach at 33. And no, comparing two absolutely awful picks in Stramel and Cowan doesn't make the Ducks decision any better. But we'll see how it all plays out. Lots of talent was on the board at 33.
Lots of tiny forwards, goalies, and offensive D. Verbeek was obviously looking for a physical two way forward. Kind of like Gaucher. The two of you have a different vision of how to build a team.

Reactions: Hollel

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is only true if you believe NHL teams are working off the same lists the public is, which history has shown they are not.

And even then, the one public list that you could perhaps default to (CSB - the one the league contracts to put out public lists), actually had Myatovic ranked right in this range.

27th ranked NA skater goes 33rd overall - really shouldn't be seen as a reach. That would put him somewhere in the 35-40 range on what should be the most reputable ranking we have.

But like you said, it all comes down to how the individual teams have them each ranked. The public lists or consensus don't really mean anything.

The definitive statements people make as though they know for sure a player could be picked later - absolutely ridiculous. You could not begin to know that without having the lists of every team, don't kid yourselves.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
I have no faith in this team identifying forward talent especially after the early first round, so it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they apparently reach on a guy, I've defended Gaucher and we definitely need to get tougher and more physical but using high draft picks on guys with seemingly low ceilings doesn't inspire confidence

Again if Anaheim had a good track record with these types of players or forwards in general I'd be much more willing to trust them going off the board

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

On Nico Myatovich (2nd Round, 33rd Overall)

We've loved Nico from last year. Really, really good hockey sense and applies it in different ways. He's a support player for good players. He did it on a elite Seattle team this year. He does all the little things right and he has the skill to be able to produce in front of the net. So he makes plays, but mostly he's an elite support player, somebody who can get pucks for first and second line players.

He's somebody who's the first on the backcheck and somebody who's always in the goalie's face. He's a culture guy, an unbelievable kid who is mature beyond his years with lots of room to grow and get stronger and faster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This was prob the pick that concerned me the most(mostly where it was, not so much the player himself).

He strikes me as a turcotte type player, he’s not going to be a star…. But we have star players in zegras terry mctavish and carlsson…. What we need is a complimentary player/support player.

Seems like we liked him and been watching him for a bit …. He does fit that idea of identity/ being hard to play against. Guess we’ll see…. He has a lot of qualities you want to see in a middle 6 guy.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020

On Nico Myatovich (2nd Round, 33rd Overall)

We've loved Nico from last year. Really, really good hockey sense and applies it in different ways. He's a support player for good players. He did it on a elite Seattle team this year. He does all the little things right and he has the skill to be able to produce in front of the net. So he makes plays, but mostly he's an elite support player, somebody who can get pucks for first and second line players.

He's somebody who's the first on the backcheck and somebody who's always in the goalie's face. He's a culture guy, an unbelievable kid who is mature beyond his years with lots of room to grow and get stronger and faster.

This rundown gives me Hyman vibes.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Will say, its impressive that he managed to tie for second in goal scoring on a super team while mostly relegated to the third line with little to no PP time due to team star power. Perhaps with less blocking his way next year he reaches another level. He also managed to outscore Danielson, heidt, Ziemmer, Yager and others at even strength points per 60.

In terms of total even strength points they rank

Heidt 54 pts - 68 games played
Ziemmer 53 pts - 68 games played
Myatovic 52 pts - 68 games played
Yager 44 pts - 67 games played
Danielson 40 pts - 68 games played

surprising considering Myatovic likely was getting significantly less opportunity and prime usage. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye here.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Past Late 1st to 2nd round forwards under Madden:
The good: Rakell, William Karlsson and Palmieri.
The rest: Jones, Steel, Comtois, Morand, Colangelo, Tracey, Perreault, Smith-Pelly, Etem, Kerdilles, Groulx, Sorensen.
Mid 1sts: Peter Holland.

Yzerman/Verbeek in Tampa were able to get Kucherov, Cirelli, Point, Palat etc.
Maddens biggest steals with Forwards is Terry and Wild Bill after he was gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheesymc

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Link to his main board thread where there are more highlights and comments from the local fanbase.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The rest: Jones, Steel, Comtois, Morand, Colangelo, Tracey, Perreault, Smith-Pelly, Etem, Kerdilles, Groulx, Sorensen.

Yzerman/Verbeek in Tampa were able to get Kucherov, Point, Palat etc.
yes…. a lot of big misses. Terry feels like luck.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
yes…. a lot of big misses. Terry feels like luck.
I hope Verbeek had a large influence on who they picked with forwards so we can finally see some Cirelli, Palats, and Points.

I'm extremely confident with the Dmen they picked. Feel like 1 of them will be an NHLer.

Reactions: cheesymc

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Yzerman/Verbeek in Tampa were able to get Kucherov, Point, Palat etc.
Yup. If the Ducks had had more recent success in drafting forwards in the late 1st / early 2nd then I'm sure fans would trust them more on these types of picks. For a lot of fans the first thought is "oh no, here we go again!".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad