Prospect Info: With the 33rd overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Nico Myatovic

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Well I don't pretend to follow the draft as closely as past years but I figured I still had a good read on the 2nd and 3rd rounders. I've literally never heard of this guy. Looks like last year our height floor was 6'2 and this year it's 6'3

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Welcome to Nico....

*Carey Price looooong pause... Turns around dumbfounded*

... Who?

Myatovic!

Pretty good soccer name indeed.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This could turn out to be an okay pick. It is a bit disappointing given the other players available, but then that is what we said with Lindholm. It is pretty clear that the Ducks didn't think that he would last until #59, so they took him here when they had a good choice of better known players. We will see, but this is a "keep your fingers crossed and hope" type of pick.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
For as much as we hit on high end defensive talent in the early/mid rounds, it seems our philosophy is the opposite with forwards for whatever reason. There's this weird obsession we have with big bodied, high floor/low ceiling guys.

Hopefully we keep some of that cap space in the coming years for high end wingers, because at this point I don't know where our offense is coming from. Carlsson/Terry/Zegras are all creative, naturally pass-first guys that are more 25-30G players than 40+ goal snipers (outside of Terry's 37G season with 20% shooting that we'll likely never see again).

Reactions: Son of Gib

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Myatovic was one of the many tall forwards I was looking at with our 59th or 60th pick. Other forwards I was looking at were 6'3 Danny Nelson, Carey Terrence (our 59th pick), 6'2 Suniev, and 6'3 Nehring.

I was dead set on 6'3 Halttunen at 33rd, but he's a bigger boom/bust Top-6 prospect who already has had a concussion injury this past season. Myatovic is your safer pick to the NHL.

So this years Tracey?

Myatovic is a different forward makeup from Tracey. Here's THW's write up on him:

While Myatovic took steps forward in his offensive game, where he impressed the most was on the defensive side. He is able to win board battles in his own zone and can make a good first pass to an open teammate to start the transition game the other way. His defensive play also translates well to the penalty kill, as he was on Seattle’s top unit this season which ranked second across the entire Western Hockey League (WHL).
One of the reasons Myatovic is such an effective forechecker is that he is an excellent skater. He can beat out icing calls with ease and is able to change directions without losing speed. His skating also helps him get to open areas on the ice, as he is able to break away from defenders and get into scoring positions. In the defensive zone, his strong skating helps him get to loose pucks, ensures he is generally in shooting lanes and starts the transition game the other way. He is a smart player that understands how to utilize skating to his advantage, which has allowed him to develop into one of the best defensive wingers available in this draft.

Myatovic is more like Lundy than Tracey. Except, we're hoping that his offense can continue to develop. He would be a great complement to our skilled players in the middle lines or at the end of games, especially with that speed.

Back to his offensive improvement...

Myatovic, EP stats 2023.png

Look at that goal and offensive production jump between his D-1 and D+0! If Myatovic is able to reproduce his D+0 production or improve upon it while being great defensively, then we got a potentially good player.

If the image is too small to read...

D-1: 67 games, 4g + 27a = 28 pts, and +21 rating
D+0: 68 games, 30g + 30a = 60 pts, and +41 rating

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This is the one pick that I am actually annoyed at. I seriously doubt they couldnt have traded down to get him.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Myatovic was one of the many tall forwards I was looking at with our 59th or 60th pick. Other forwards I was looking at were 6'3 Danny Nelson, Carey Terrence (our 59th pick), 6'2 Suniev, and 6'3 Nehring.

I was dead set on 6'3 Halttunen at 33rd, but he's a bigger boom/bust Top-6 prospect who already has had a concussion injury this past season. Myatovic is your safer pick to the NHL.

Myatovic is a different forward makeup from Tracey. Here's THW's write up on him:

While Myatovic took steps forward in his offensive game, where he impressed the most was on the defensive side. He is able to win board battles in his own zone and can make a good first pass to an open teammate to start the transition game the other way. His defensive play also translates well to the penalty kill, as he was on Seattle’s top unit this season which ranked second across the entire Western Hockey League (WHL).
One of the reasons Myatovic is such an effective forechecker is that he is an excellent skater. He can beat out icing calls with ease and is able to change directions without losing speed. His skating also helps him get to open areas on the ice, as he is able to break away from defenders and get into scoring positions. In the defensive zone, his strong skating helps him get to loose pucks, ensures he is generally in shooting lanes and starts the transition game the other way. He is a smart player that understands how to utilize skating to his advantage, which has allowed him to develop into one of the best defensive wingers available in this draft.

Myatovic is more like Lundy than Tracey. Except, we're hoping that his offense can continue to develop. He would be a great complement to our skilled players in the middle lines or at the end of games, especially with that speed.

Back to his offensive improvement...

View attachment 723524

Look at that goal and offensive production jump between his D-1 and D+0! If Myatovic is able to reproduce his D+0 production or improve upon it while being great defensively, then we got a potentially good player.

If the image is too small to read...

D-1: 67 games, 4g + 27a = 28 pts, and +21 rating
D+0: 68 games, 30g + 30a = 60 pts, and +41 rating
Style of play or player similarities was not what I was referring to.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
McKeen's on Myatovic
His game is built primarily around strength and power and boy does he have an abundance of both. There aren't many, if any, better forecheckers in all of junior hockey at the moment.
Haha, I don't know about that "strength and power," I think they may have mixed this profile with Gaucher... Myatovic does really project to be a taller version Tracey... but it makes sense, again... this winger profile fits our MO.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Guacher - Myatovic could be a pretty sick pairing on the third line, especially if they both continue to develop some scoring upside. I don't love this pick for where he was drafted, if he's your guy and he's a reach you trade back. Plenty of teams would have been salivating for first choice this morning.

Reactions: cheesymc

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We could probably took him with 59, 60th pick...not happy.
But we have to accept it and go with it...in 4-5 years, we will know how good a pick this was.

It's highly unlikely Myatovic would have been there at pick 59 or 60. Nelson went 49th, which is also a lot earlier for him too. The big forwards went earlier in the 2nd round.

33. 6'2 LW Myatovic
36. 6'3 RW Halttunen
39. 6'3 C Wahlberg
49. 6'3 C Nelson
======
53. 6'3 C Kumpulainen
55. 62 RW Misiak

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Would have taken Rehkopf with this pick much more upside. With Myatovic you are really hoping he turns into a decent bottom 6 forward. Solid but not much upside would have been fine at 60.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Here is the scary part of this pick...by virtue of being the 1st pick of the 2nd round it means that the Ducks had him rated as a 1st round pick. That's just crazy.

I don't mind the player but PV showed absolutely horrific asset management. Trade down! That pick was worth way more than the player taken!!!! This is going to be a very long rebuild.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
To be fair, there were not a lot of trades this draft.

If he goes at 45, and no one wants to move up and give up another pick, you have to take him at 33.

Now whether he was the best choice at 33 is very debatable.

John

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia