Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dont get me wrong im not expecting a transformation into a pt per game player but i do feel he could bring a Torres/Hansen like hybrid game to a really good 3rd line or be the grinder along with Horvat/Baertschi and Pettersson/Boeser from time to time.

My contention is with trading Virtanen while his value is low and potential has not been reached. I have provided examples of many (sure most don't work out but not many players are at their peaks at 22 either which was my point).

He has stalled somewhat but i think at this point it would be foolish to cut bait with him when he has positional and dedication issues that can be erased and improved with some further commitment and maturity. You see a guy who has physical traits that should allow him to be who he isat 22.....i see a player who still has some incredible leaps in consistency, hasn't defined his role and needs to learn to crash the net and play with urgency.

At very least he makes this soft slow weak team a little faster and stronger and i agree that's not enough for a long term commitment is dissappointing and sure if a team offered a decent top4 RD for him that would be a good trade but its not gonna happen as he currently is.

I guess i'm preaching patience. We're a bad team and that can affect how players play and are perceived. We've come this far i really want to see what he does next year with his career and future earnings hanging in the wind. I still feel he has much more to offer but i do have doubts about his willingness to work and his mental make up. We'll see where it goes....i can bet you that like Hutton last year Green will call him out....lets see if he can respond

I agree with most of what you are saying. We shouldnt trade him unless the return is good. He has already proven to be a very effective bottom 6er. I just dont expect him to develop in to anything more at this point because the issues he has are have not improved one bit in 3 years.

Still would keep him around as an effective 3rd/4th liner.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't get why you guys think he has all this unrealized potential.

He's not really a powerforward from what I've seen. He finishes his check at a decent rate and occasionally fights but he doesn't really have powerforward moves. It's not really his play style. Just look at all his goals from last season, almost all of em are him sniping the puck.
I see Horvat drive to the net more than Virtanen and I don't see him classified as a powerforward.

Virtanen has fantastic tools but expecting him to change and suddenly use it like William Carrier is just wishful thinking imo. Virtanen is a shooter who can be physical but not overly. He doesn't have the hockey sense to take his game to the next level but I hope he can develop his offensive game more. If he doesn't take a step forward next season, it's unlikely he will ever develop into a top 6 guy. 200+ career games and not breaking 20 goals is enough of a sample size. Even Benning has stopped mentioning him as part of the young core that excites him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Dont get me wrong im not expecting a transformation into a pt per game player but i do feel he could bring a Torres/Hansen like hybrid game to a really good 3rd line or be the grinder along with Horvat/Baertschi and Pettersson/Boeser from time to time.

My contention is with trading Virtanen while his value is low and potential has not been reached. I have provided examples of many (sure most don't work out but not many players are at their peaks at 22 either which was my point).

He has stalled somewhat but i think at this point it would be foolish to cut bait with him when he has positional and dedication issues that can be erased and improved with some further commitment and maturity. You see a guy who has physical traits that should allow him to be who he isat 22.....i see a player who still has some incredible leaps in consistency, hasn't defined his role and needs to learn to crash the net and play with urgency.

At very least he makes this soft slow weak team a little faster and stronger and i agree that's not enough for a long term commitment is dissappointing and sure if a team offered a decent top4 RD for him that would be a good trade but its not gonna happen as he currently is.

I guess i'm preaching patience. We're a bad team and that can affect how players play and are perceived. We've come this far i really want to see what he does next year with his career and future earnings hanging in the wind. I still feel he has much more to offer but i do have doubts about his willingness to work and his mental make up. We'll see where it goes....i can bet you that like Hutton last year Green will call him out....lets see if he can respond

I'd agree with this. He has no real value on the trade market, all you'd get at this point is some other bust or a 3rd. His $$$/effectiveness ratio is good, he makes $1.25m next year and won't make much more than $2m on the next contract without big improvement. Just write off the #6 overall completely and think about him a player we picked up for a 3rd round pick in a trade and he's not so bad.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd agree with this. He has no real value on the trade market, all you'd get at this point is some other bust or a 3rd. His $$$/effectiveness ratio is good, he makes $1.25m next year and won't make much more than $2m on the next contract without big improvement. Just write off the #6 overall completely and think about him a player we picked up for a 3rd round pick in a trade and he's not so bad.
How about we trade our two bust picks (Virtanen and Juiolevi) to move in round one?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know all the focus has been on the glamour prospects like Pettersson and Boeser, but quietly Jake has had a nice season for the Canucks....scored last night and could finish the season with 17-20 goals despite missing almost a month of the season.

More importantly, he's no longer the guy that Green calls out for his play or is subjected to healthy scratches. He's a guy the coach now clearly trusts in terms of defensive responsibilities and is now an everyday winger for this team.

I think the Canucks would still be ill-advised to move him and would definitely be dealing him at a market discount if they did.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't get why you guys think he has all this unrealized potential.

He's not really a powerforward from what I've seen. He finishes his check at a decent rate and occasionally fights but he doesn't really have powerforward moves. It's not really his play style. Just look at all his goals from last season, almost all of em are him sniping the puck.
I see Horvat drive to the net more than Virtanen and I don't see him classified as a powerforward.

Virtanen has fantastic tools but expecting him to change and suddenly use it like William Carrier is just wishful thinking imo. Virtanen is a shooter who can be physical but not overly. He doesn't have the hockey sense to take his game to the next level but I hope he can develop his offensive game more. If he doesn't take a step forward next season, it's unlikely he will ever develop into a top 6 guy. 200+ career games and not breaking 20 goals is enough of a sample size. Even Benning has stopped mentioning him as part of the young core that excites him.

Maybe he’s not a power forward?

Maybe he’s a playmaking winger kinda like Kass?

I definitely see a lot of unrealized potential in Jake.

I just don’t know if the Canucks is the team to be able to unlock it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think other teams see that same potential in Jake, so he could be a nice piece to add to our 2019 first to move up in round one. If we pick 7, adding Jake might get us into the top 3.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

The problem is more hockey iq in my opinion. He's got all the tools already (great shot, can skate really well, good at zone entries, etc...) and just has to put it together.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Virts is a horrible passer, everything is either too weak or too hard

This guy is what he is at this point - dumb, fast, decent forchecker with an inaccurate shot. 3rd liner

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Two plays tonight really exemplify this player for me.

1) Early in the 3rd period, Canucks are pressing in Calgary's end. Jake gets the puck along the boards to the left of Smith. Nobody's near him. Smith has the short side sealed off as any goalie with half a brain would. What does Jake do? Pass? Change the angle? Look for options? No. he takes the short side shot and the puck's easily recovered by Calgary and the play goes up ice.

2) Calgary's 3rd goal. Puck goes back to Giordano at the left point. Jake goes out to check him, Giordano fakes left, keeps the puck. Jake skates a lazy circle to his left, angling back into the zone...as Giordano passes to a wide-open...whatshisface for the 3rd Calgary goal on a one-timer.

Yeah, I want to like Virtanen but I just don't think he's got a head for the NHL game.

Reactions: vanuck

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

1) Early in the 3rd period, Canucks are pressing in Calgary's end. Jake gets the puck along the boards to the left of Smith. Nobody's near him. Smith has the short side sealed off as any goalie with half a brain would. What does Jake do? Pass? Change the angle? Look for options? No. he takes the short side shot and the puck's easily recovered by Calgary and the play goes up ice.

2) Calgary's 3rd goal. Puck goes back to Giordano at the left point. Jake goes out to check him, Giordano fakes left, keeps the puck. Jake skates a lazy circle to his left, angling back into the zone...as Giordano passes to a wide-open...whatshisface for the 3rd Calgary goal on a one-timer.

Yeah, I want to like Virtanen but I just don't think he's got a head for the NHL game.
He made one terrible play. He just needs to finish on Gio every time. He did that in a game earlier this year. I did see Beagle, Motte and Schaller losing the puck multiple times tonight so there is few safe players. Jake had a bad game hope tomorrow is a good one.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

delete

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Virts is a horrible passer, everything is either too weak or too hard

This guy is what he is at this point - dumb, fast, decent forchecker with an inaccurate shot. 3rd liner

Hes probably never had chemistry with any center in his life. Hes always been too athletic and talented compared to everyone that he can just blast through every defender in junior and midget. Raffi Torres is probably his upside.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Would be on his 3rd team if he were drafted #177 instead of #6 overall.

Reminds me of faster Steve Bernier. Low IQ player with with an alleged physical game that shows flashes of potential but lacks consistency. You really cling to hope based off plays but often see shit.

Cant teach hockey IQ. This is inherited and/or developed at an early age.

Reactions: vanuck

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Virtanen is frustrating but there are 4-5 more useless forwards on this team that should go before him.

I cant really agree with posters who say Jake isn’t physical. Would we like more, sure but he is second on the team in hits this year and was first of all forwards last year.

His progress is slow, but there has been progress in his NHL game. Aside from last night he has become better defensively.Last year 10 goals maybe 15 this year. Maybe 20 next year?

Before the book is closed on him I still say Green should have given him a long run on Bo’s wing in the top 6 over the likes of Eriksson and a turnstile of others. And I mean not just a period or two before Green shuffles his lines. Isn’t that what consistent non playoff teams are supposed to do? Find out about the young players in your team conclusively before you move them out and watch them blossom for another team like Jared McCann.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Jake would score fifty if he even had half a brain. This coming draft is the time to move on from having low Hockey Q players.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Virtanen is frustrating but there are 4-5 more useless forwards on this team that should go before him.

I cant really agree with posters who say Jake isn’t physical. Would we like more, sure but he is second on the team in hits this year and was first of all forwards last year.

His progress is slow, but there has been progress in his NHL game. Aside from last night he has become better defensively.Last year 10 goals maybe 15 this year. Maybe 20 next year?

Before the book is closed on him I still say Green should have given him a long run on Bo’s wing in the top 6 over the likes of Eriksson and a turnstile of others. And I mean not just a period or two before Green shuffles his lines. Isn’t that what consistent non playoff teams are supposed to do? Find out about the young players in your team conclusively before you move them out and watch them blossom for another team like Jared McCann.

Virtanen played 264 mins with Horvat. Most out of every center. Throw in 91 mins with Pettersson. Around half of the season he has played with an offensive center. He has gotten lots of chances to produce. Aside from that hot streak of 20 game to start the season he is the same Virtanen. The fact he is just not a very good offensive player and is a bottom 6 forward.

The funny thing is when JB trades a pick for a 22/23 year old. Most people argument is I rather keep that pick because 22/23 years don't usually get much better. But For drafted Canucks players, it's a different story, Our drafted players can get better while other team can't. I sense a double standard here.

If Virtanen wasn't local boy. Most likely we won't have so many pages of Virtanen

Reactions: bossram

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Ive heard people dont wanna give up on him cause some times power forwards dont even emerge as power forwards who can dominate until later then avg players. Now is probably unlikely, and people compare when we traded Cam Neely who later became a really good power forward. Was Neely as bad as Virtanen before he was traded? Is this just a joke, Ive defended Virtanen the last two years but this last half of the season has really been Truly truly truly disappointing. Gotta be fair, he has sucked. Is it time to pull the plug (even tho if he does end up sucking we should have said the time to trade him was MUCH sooner)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad