Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
I think he'll hit the 20 goal mark next year. With the amount of quality chances he's able to generate with his speed if he just works on his shot accuracy and beating goalies one on one he'll easily hit that mark.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He scored 10 this year, he's making baby steps in his development...

15ish goals sounds about right. Next year is a big year for him though, he should be looking for 20 min.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
10-12 seems right. I don't think he's shown to be able to play well consistently enough to warrant a significant bump in ice time which could result in increased production.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Based on this year, 13 goals sounds about right. Even if you take out his first 2 months where he got very few minutes, he was still only scoring at an 11 goal pace over his final 50 or so games where he was averaging about 13 minutes a night.

On the other hand, if he improves year over year like he this year where he went from a mediocre AHLer to a 3rd/4th line NHLer then he could be a bigger threat. Who knows though.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
16 sounds about right to me. Just think his shooting % has likelihood of going up a few ticks, and he'll probably see more ice time just given the Sedins being gone. I mean in the past guys like Pyatt, Bernier etc. have potted 16, so it can't be that tough right ?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
16 sounds about right to me. Just think his shooting % has likelihood of going up a few ticks, and he'll probably see more ice time just given the Sedins being gone. I mean in the past guys like Pyatt, Bernier etc. have potted 16, so it can't be that tough right ?

What makes you think that tho..?

WHL didn't track shots so we dont know his shooting% from Jr. (Correct me if Im wrong on this)
During his NHL and AHL careers he has been shot around 7% going 3 years now.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm going for broke - 25+ it is!

And I have a Lotto Max ticket for the $60 million on Friday. Always keep optimistic.

Reactions: jd22

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This came up in the JV thread.

...which is where it should have stayed. Just what we need, another Jake thread. Me, I'm thinking he will do about the same as last year but will also suffer some sort of injury which will take him out of the lineup for a couple of weeks but will also serve as the perfect excuse for his apologists. All the people who are assuming he will double his production have more faith than I...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't know if he's joking, but my guess is also around 12-13. I doubt his shooting percent will jump up, but he might get a bit more ice time this year and I imagine he'll be slightly better than last year.

I hate you too;

Stop sitting on the fence you 12-13 truthers. What is it, 12 or 13?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He scored 10 this year, he's making baby steps in his development...

15ish goals sounds about right. Next year is a big year for him though, he should be looking for 20 min.

Thats a 50% improvement. He would need a significant increase in ice time or shot percentage for that to happen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He was at 75gms, 11:59/gm, 130 shots, 7.7%, 10 goals last yr...

I expect his opportunity and ice to go way up, and with him building on his physicality, conditioning and experience... I also expect increased usage on the PP, 4on4, 3on3, and I'm hoping he finally gets a shot on the PK.
I wanna see him hit 20.

Lots of room to grow for him.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
What makes you think that tho..?

WHL didn't track shots so we dont know his shooting% from Jr. (Correct me if Im wrong on this)
During his NHL and AHL careers he has been shot around 7% going 3 years now.

Just a guess. If you disagree I can't really argue, i'm an optimist (just not a 25+ level optimist).
I think he's going to figure out where to shoot from, how to use d-men as a screen, how to use his strength and speed to get to the net a little better (with and without the puck). I mean incremental improvements- if he ever really figured it out he could score 30+, and no i'm not predicting that will ever happen.

Also 1 line that sucked up a bunch offensive zone starts is gone, although I expect that lw?- Horvat- Boeser will suck up most of those o-zone faceoff shift starts.

Also.2- whoever it was that said that Virtanen didn't work out with Horvat-Boeser (in the other thread) because he's not smart enough, is totally full of shit, Virtanen has almost never been tried on the left side here. I'm not sure he's ever been on the ice with Boeser at the same time. If you argued it wouldn't work because Virtanen doesn't have the iceQ to be useful there that would be different. That line has never actually been tried. (or was it one of 3 or 4 games I didn't watch last year ?) If it has, prove me wrong with a video link, and i'll apologize for calling you full of shit.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
14 goals, 17 assists, 31 pts. (Based on around 80 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->