Player Discussion With how many goals will Jake Virtanen end the 2018-19 season?

How many goals will Jake Virtanen score in 2018-19

• Total voters

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Virtanen played 264 mins with Horvat. Most out of every center. Throw in 91 mins with Pettersson. Around half of the season he has played with an offensive center. He has gotten lots of chances to produce. Aside from that hot streak of 20 game to start the season he is the same Virtanen. The fact he is just not a very good offensive player and is a bottom 6 forward.

The funny thing is when JB trades a pick for a 22/23 year old. Most people argument is I rather keep that pick because 22/23 years don't usually get much better. But For drafted Canucks players, it's a different story, Our drafted players can get better while other team can't. I sense a double standard here.

If Virtanen wasn't local boy. Most likely we won't have so many pages of Virtanen

And he may never be a top 6 forward. Just would rather give him a longer look than Loui f***ing Eriksson and his 3 hits on the entire season, no battle level, terrible skating, and no production. (look at his last 30 games without the empty net goal from his own side of center and secondary assists against an AHL line up.)

Your point is valid about being a local boy. He will never be worthy of his draft position, but a 3rd line player, who usually leads the forwards in hits, is one of the 5-10 fastest players in the NHL at 226 lbs and chips in 15-20 goals a year as he matures is a useful player for this team. And he isnt being paid 3-6 million like some of the useless plugs on this team.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jake is dumb, he'll never be a playmaking winger. He needs to learn to use his physical gifts better though, he still plays like a junior at times, skate by people take low percentage shot that beats junior goalies but is not very effective NHL goalies. You can be dumb and get by at NHL, he really needs to drive the net and own the slot, but he doesn't want to play that game - that's a personal choice.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Jake is dumb, he'll never be a playmaking winger. He needs to learn to use his physical gifts better though, he still plays like a junior at times, skate by people take low percentage shot that beats junior goalies but is not very effective NHL goalies. You can be dumb and get by at NHL, he really needs to drive the net and own the slot, but he doesn't want to play that game - that's a personal choice.

You are right, even with his limited hockey smarts, if he would just use that speed and size and drive to the net regularly he would create scoring chances.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I disagree , David Booth is a weird dude. I didn't know you had to be Einstein to be a hockey player.

We are talking about Jake’s very low Hockey IQ. He doesn’t process the game fast enough. He’s slow thinking, in a hockey related sense. He seems like a decent kid, and I have no idea if he’s book smart.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

This pretty much. You don't need to be the smartest player in the world to drive the net and take advantage of your size and strength. With his lack of IQ he needs to make his bread and butter that of a power winger who can bully guys and take pucks to the net hard with his speed. He likely still sees himself as a sniper who can just score off the rush but that's not how he's going to be successful in this league offensively. It sure as hell won't be off his playmaking ability. :laugh:

Nov 1, 2011
This pretty much. You don't need to be the smartest player in the world to drive the net and take advantage of your size and strength. With his lack of IQ he needs to make his bread and butter that of a power winger who can bully guys and take pucks to the net hard with his speed. He likely still sees himself as a sniper who can just score off the rush but that's not how he's going to be successful in this league offensively. It sure as hell won't be off his playmaking ability. :laugh:

The snipe against Ottawa was pretty nice. Think maybe they should just let him play his off-wing, like he has his entire career to this point.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The snipe against Ottawa was pretty nice. Think maybe they should just let him play his off-wing, like he has his entire career to this point.
Jake does seem to be a lot better on his off wing, that’s for sure. Once out of his own end he naturally moves to the left side. You know, it couldn’t hurt to play Jake on left wing, but it seems our current coach has control freak issues.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Here's the thing. It's not his personal choice.

It's his coaches choice.

Jake is doing the same thing over and over again and failing over and over again.

Why is Jake constantly failing?

Because Jake wants to fail?

That's stupid.

This makes no sense.

Why isn't Jake being coached differently?

veJjden.gif

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Green is a lousy coach. He even had him in Utica. Green is either absolutely clueless or he's an ego freak like WD. WD called out Tryamkin and caused him to go back toe the KHL. Green did the same to Goldobin when he was third on the team in scoring and he does it in the f***ing media.. He even said he respected WD the supposed sports psychologist , that's all i need to know about him. New coach please. WD a sports psychologist . LOL

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
q668Nrb.png

Jake got second line minutes last night.

Jake did the exact same two failing things every time he entered the ozone with the puck (I believe that this was the case before his rib injury as well)
  1. Shoot the puck on the net
  2. Skate deep into the right corner and then button hook to either start a cycle or to pass back to the point
How does one explain the fact that Jake keeps getting minutes and Jake keeps failing in the same way(s).

Does Jake need shoulder surgery again?

Reactions: DonnyNucker

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Jake still plays offense the same way he played in Junior. The problem is that in the NHL he can't beat D-men simply with his speed and he can't beat goaltenders with a wrist shot from the perimeter.

He's more responsible defensively than he was but even that isn't anything more than average. He'll be 23 when camp opens with 300 pro games under his belt. He is rapidly approaching "he is what he is" territory.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Jake doessee the u e a lot better on his offwing, that’s for sure. Once out of his own end he naturally moves to the left side. You know, it couldn’t hurt to play Jake on left wing, but it seems our current coach has control freak issues.
I think I know what you are saying but some editing would help.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Jake still plays offense the same way he played in Junior. The problem is that in the NHL he can't beat D-men simply with his speed and he can't beat goaltenders with a wrist shot from the perimeter.

He's more responsible defensively than he was but even that isn't anything more than average. He'll be 23 when camp opens with 300 pro games under his belt. He is rapidly approaching "he is what he is" territory.

If we can just get a bit more improvement out of him, at this point I would settle for a big, fast 3rd line winger who chips in with 20 goal a year. Might get 15 this year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If we can just get a bit more improvement out of him, at this point I would settle for a big, fast 3rd line winger who chips in with 20 goal a year. Might get 15 this year.

That would be okay but I’m not sure in a pure third line role he’s going to consistently get to 20. I’m fine with him on the team but wouldn’t be that concerned if he were moved. Well except for the whole Jim is terrible at his job thing...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Here's the thing. It's not his personal choice.

It's his coaches choice.

Jake is doing the same thing over and over again and failing over and over again.

Why is Jake constantly failing?

Because Jake wants to fail?

That's stupid.

This makes no sense.

Why isn't Jake being coached differently?

veJjden.gif

Because it just isn't in some people's nature. They are confortable playing the way they play and don't want to or can't change. Tryamkin was a monster but that's not how he wants to play the game, he was happy just playing a steady sort of game, occasionally he squash someone like a bug but generally not his thing. They keep wanting him to play like Pronger.

I've seen nothing from Green that says he doesn't want his players crashing the net. It just isn't Jake's thing, if he wants to get better he should try it.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Green is a lousy coach. He even had him in Utica. Green is either absolutely clueless or he's an ego freak like WD. WD called out Tryamkin and caused him to go back toe the KHL. Green did the same to Goldobin when he was third on the team in scoring and he does it in the ****ing media.. He even said he respected WD the supposed sports psychologist , that's all i need to know about him. New coach please. WD a sports psychologist . LOL

WD was fired Apr. 10 2017, Tryamkin announced his departure from the Canucks Apr. 20 2017. He knew full well that he wouldn't have to deal with WD any more.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Green is a lousy coach. He even had him in Utica. Green is either absolutely clueless or he's an ego freak like WD. WD called out Tryamkin and caused him to go back toe the KHL. Green did the same to Goldobin when he was third on the team in scoring and he does it in the ****ing media.. He even said he respected WD the supposed sports psychologist , that's all i need to know about him. New coach please. WD a sports psychologist . LOL

A nobody on the internet calling out a professional coach and former NHLer like he knows better...

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I just saw the play where Stecher was hit in the face with the puck at the end of the Calgary game. I read a bunch of garbage in the game thread about how Virtanen was dumb because he left the zone early( which he didn't) the player threw the puck towards the offensive zone and it was turned over. If you think JV did something wrong on that play and blame him for Stecher getting hit in the face , you should stop posting like your a hockey expert immediately because you are as clueless as they come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad