Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
The conversation with the Nilfgaardian depends on how you set up the game before you start. Something to do with "simulate Witcher II save"

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
[spoil]The guy asks you directly about whether Letho is alive or not.

EDIT: Sorry, he doesn't asks directly, but there is a conversation about him where you say whether you killed him or not. Here is a video of the questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXR30lx43dY [/spoil]

[spoil]Yeah, I remember answering those questions in my first go, but my new game I just basically exchanged pleasantries with Morvran this time. I remember the first time being like, "uh okay, I have no idea what I'm answering, but let's pretend."This time, I never got asked those questions.[/spoil]

The conversation with the Nilfgaardian depends on how you set up the game before you start. Something to do with "simulate Witcher II save"

Mother****er.

You're exactly right. I had no idea what that **** was about, so I was like, uh whatever. They need to explain what that's about man, you get no information, and just have to guess.

Ugh, I'm going to have to start again I think. I'm just about finished with the Bloody Baron questline, so that stinks. At least I didn't get farther. Glad I came here before I hit Novigrad. Thanks for the help fellas, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
[spoil]RE: Witcher 2, I never felt like leaving Letho alive made much sense from a character perspective. It's a neat thing to let the guy go in a gamey/RPG sense but story wise I don't think it works.[/spoil]

I felt the same way as you before I started to actually learn about him. After that I felt the exact opposite.

I may be jaded from playing the third game first, though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well at least the upscaling thing is optional.

Don't know why anyone would want to fight a bunch of random higher level mobs later in the game for no reason but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Level scaling blows. I also really don't like default "level ranges" for lack of a better word where enemies get damage boosts if you're too low. It exposes the weak character system.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I like level scaling for one reason.

I don't have to worry about out pacing main story lines, mobs, or points of interest, while playing. I really like having a comparable enemy, and not just faceroll scrubs because I'm 25 levels higher than they are. With scaling, I wouldn't be so neurotic over my xp bar.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I like level scaling for one reason.

I don't have to worry about out pacing main story lines, mobs, or points of interest, while playing. I really like having a comparable enemy, and not just faceroll scrubs because I'm 25 levels higher than they are. With scaling, I wouldn't be so neurotic over my xp bar.

I don't see that as an issue normally, considering they made it so it is incredibly difficult to overlevel your character.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't see that as an issue normally, considering they made it so it is incredibly difficult to overlevel your character.

Really?

On the default setting I had to stop doing anything other than the main quest line because I was 5-8 levels higher than the suggested level. Even on the next hardest level I'm still getting more xp than I want.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Given im still very early in the game (just wetting my feet in Velen), Ive found a lot of enemies substantially higher then me. Like 3-5 levels higher, and wreck me quite easily. Im actually finding it quite hard to level up. Almost all the quests available to me are higher then me.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Really?

On the default setting I had to stop doing anything other than the main quest line because I was 5-8 levels higher than the suggested level. Even on the next hardest level I'm still getting more xp than I want.

Even a few levels up I don't think you are at that much if an advantage.

Maybe I'm just bad.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Given im still very early in the game (just wetting my feet in Velen), Ive found a lot of enemies substantially higher then me. Like 3-5 levels higher, and wreck me quite easily. Im actually finding it quite hard to level up. Almost all the quests available to me are higher then me.

If I remember correctly, they award XP based on your level in comparison to the quest's level. So if you knock out a couple of quests that are one or two levels above you you should leap forward pretty quick. I'm surprised you're not seeing any lower level quests in Velen though, I remember leaving Velen behind with a ton of quests that were lower than my character's level.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Downloading the expansion as I type this.

Pretty excited!! Just got out of White Orchard in my NG+ and am pleased to see the latest patch has further improved the game.

A bit of a shame I won't be getting to Toussaint anytime soon actually.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Gamespot gave Blood and Wine an 8. Apparently there were too many inside CD Projekt Red jokes for them, which I'm now looking forward to.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Already pre-ordered and pre-loaded it on my PS4. Now it's about finding actual time to play it. Probably won't be til next week lol.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Was the same case for me at the start. I did a ton of ? marks to try to get up a level if I could and drove myself crazy. Once I got to Novagrad I ended up a little ahead; when I got to Skelleg I was 3-5 levels ahead.

I suspect you are not done with the bloody baron questline yet? If not just keep doing quests around you - it is frustrating right now but once that is over everything will seem to line up better. I honestly think they want to push you through that questline to get into the "real" game so a lot of side quests are above you until around when you are done with that quest series.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just got this cause I've gotten bored of Fallout 4. Really regret not getting it sooner.

Lowering the score of a game because of something like that is really dumb.

maxresdefault.jpg

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Can anyone explain how finishers work? I was in a fight with two shielded soldiers then all of a sudden the camera switched location and Geralt finished both guys at once. I dont believe I pushed anything differently.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Was the same case for me at the start. I did a ton of ? marks to try to get up a level if I could and drove myself crazy. Once I got to Novagrad I ended up a little ahead; when I got to Skelleg I was 3-5 levels ahead.

I suspect you are not done with the bloody baron questline yet? If not just keep doing quests around you - it is frustrating right now but once that is over everything will seem to line up better. I honestly think they want to push you through that questline to get into the "real" game so a lot of side quests are above you until around when you are done with that quest series.

Yes. Just rescued that damn goat.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Can anyone explain how finishers work? I was in a fight with two shielded soldiers then all of a sudden the camera switched location and Geralt finished both guys at once. I dont believe I pushed anything differently.

Seems automatic when the enemy is low health.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yes. Just rescued that damn goat.

The thing with Witcher 3 is you really have to mix it up, it's not like other RPGs where it's optimal to delay doing main quest stuff by doing all the optional stuff in the area first.

Well you can I guess it just hurts the experience because of the way the leveling works and the fact that you can go the length of a couple AAA games in between playing main story bits depending on how much optional stuff you do.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Their random, basically. There is a small chance you'll get one in every swing of the sword. You can increase the chances with some of the perks (or whatever you want to call them) further up the unlock chain in the combat perks. It has something to do with how many adrenaline bars you have as well.

Also think some of the gear boosts the chances too. I might be wrong (going off memory) but I think they refer to them as critical hits.

Word on the street (google) tells me there is an option to make these manual and there will be a button prompt to perform one but I haven't tried that either. Might be something you want to look at? I kind of like it as is (random) otherwise I'd get the timing down, do em all the time and they'd loose their coolness.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I remember there was a point where I could've gotten the Witcher 3 used for cheap off of trade ins or pay what I did for GTA 5, which I had already beaten on ps3. I kinda wish I had gotten this then and paid a cheaper price for GTA 5 on eBay or something.

I've barely dipped my toes in and I'm constantly amazed by this game. The level of detail is great. The cutscenes and conversations are something I never want to skip. The combat is a lot of fun. I've also never encountered a game that made me feel for NPCs who in the grand scheme of things aren't that important. I feel the pain and horror of a war I haven't even really seen.

The one issue I have is there are times where the framerate drops to a low that I feel isn't acceptable for a next generation console. I understand there's a lot to render, and while it never breaks my gameplay it does halt my sense of wonder and amazement that the rest of the package brings me. But like I said. It's not unplayable. Whereas far harbor (fallout 4) on ps4 is borderline unplayable when Im in the island's fog. Like. It was so bad that I was pissed enough to cut my losses with the dlc and jump into the Witcher. And I'm so glad I did. The framerate drops aren't enough to ruin my experience. It's also possible that because I haven't downloaded the update data yet, that's why I have framerate issues.

The thing with Witcher 3 is you really have to mix it up, it's not like other RPGs where it's optimal to delay doing main quest stuff by doing all the optional stuff in the area first.

Well you can I guess it just hurts the experience because of the way the leveling works and the fact that you can go the length of a couple AAA games in between playing main story bits depending on how much optional stuff you do.

I'm confused. Should I do main stuff before the optional stuff or the the other way around? This is my first Witcher game.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I'm confused. Should I do main stuff before the optional stuff or the the other way around? This is my first Witcher game.

For maximum xp do all the side stuff at the lowest possible level that doesn't show up as grey, then when there are no side quests below the main ones in terms of levels then do those. Rinse and repeat.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
For maximum xp do all the side stuff at the lowest possible level that doesn't show up as grey, then when there are no side quests below the main ones in terms of levels then do those. Rinse and repeat.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I'd take a different approach and wouldn't worry about XP. You don't need to have a great build to destroy everything anyway. When I said experience before I meant in terms of enjoyment.

Just mix in both main and side content at a reasonable pace. If you delay doing the main story stuff it hurts the pacing tremendously. Especially because if you end up doing the story quests all in a row at certain points it starts to drag because the in-engine cutscene dialogs can take an awful long time sometimes so you're doing a lot of sitting around if you do like 20 hours of main story in a row. That's why I say mix it in because the non-main story quests are much more combat oriented. There's no one right answer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad