Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Also I don't know what the hell just happened. I killed all the monsters for this level 7 mission and I was heading back to turn it in, stopped to kill some wolves for some wolf liver, got a text from my girl so I stopped in the middle of a road to text her back, and when I look up I see Geralt being assaulted by tree roots, I turn around see a level 20 monster, and the next thing I know I'm dead. Totally random encounter. Weird.

/subtlebrag

That's how I felt playing Dark Souls back in the day. Just got done fighting on an empty bridge, got distracted for a quick second, turn back to the screen and see myself being stabbed in the back by some random dude invading my world. Been playing offline ever since. :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Meh. 6 months in, it's hardly "haha guys I get laid, you jelly?". Just the reason why I had to stop.

Apparently it's called a Leshen and apparently it was nearby and I pulled its attention but it didn't show on the minimap. And it took my whole encounter with the wolves to come ruin me from behind.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah I ran into that one in almost the same circumstance. I assume they put it in the forest there just to remind you you're still weak :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean I've seen the occasional guarded treasure with an enemy way above my level, but I thought this was like a strange demon coded into the game that on rare occasions gets you at random if you stand around in the dark.

But then I found someone else on youtube who died the same way but in the daytime.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yeah I remember the first time I ran into a leshen. Freaked me out. But after you level up, you just burn those fools with Igni.

I played about 20 minutes of Blood and Wine. It's a pretty environment so it's a nice change; all the depressing villages in Velen get boring after a while.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I never found the Leshens that hard, they were just too weak to fire.

But maybe I was slightly overleveled.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well he killed me in one shot and I was half his level. I didn't want to even try. I can handle at most 6 levels above me. If that.

Yeah I never met a leshen unless part of a quest I was actively pursuing.

If I met the same one you did I would have been knocked silly, I'm sure.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
My first play through was on the second hardest difficulty and that was a lot of fun.

Doing my second play through with New Game + on Death March and it's even better.

It isn't that hard, especially if you abuse Quen but I've decided I was going to not level Quen at all and instead focus on the other powers.

Switching between powers as you dodge hits and get in for a few here and there is smooth and engaging. I'm really liking it.
I'm finding Death March to be more fun as well. I went full mage my first play through and now I'm full attack with Cat school gear. I find full attack actually suits my play style better. Pretty much the only sign I use is Quen and I've also not upgraded it at all. I might look at changing it up and doing more of a mixed build, but so far full attack has been fun and pretty challenging.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
:laugh: So I'm doing this mission that involves a horse race and I get to pick one of four horses. I pick the gray one after forgetting all their names. When I do, the brunette chick is like "I'm not riding but I pick the black horse. No horse can beat that one" now, granted, the Black horse was introduced as being the finest Nilfgaardian breed so I was like okay I made the wrong choice.

Mid race I accidentally backed out of the game. So the next time I choose the horse I pick the black one. Instead of "good choice Witcher, my money is on you to win" I get "I'm not racing but I bet on the gray horse"

You little ****.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I never found the Leshens that hard, they were just too weak to fire.

But maybe I was slightly overleveled.

First time I came across one was in the Southern part of Velen and it was a deathskull. One hit killed me every time... Katakans are what I always find a pain in the ass, especially in enclosed spaces. That quest in Oxenfurt where you track the one that preys on drunks and have to finish it off in that tiny house was a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This really irks me, since I took pride in having no failed quests but after I

[spoil]Lifted the curse from Uma and transformed him back to Avallac'h[/spoil]

Trying to enlist Keira Metz for the quest Brothers In Arms: Velen automatically failed. I allowed her to leave in the Towerful of Mice quest... does that have something to do with it? You'd think I'd at least have a chance to convince her.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
btw, Blood and Wine's main quest goes by very quickly. I put maybe about 10 hours before I got the no turning back message. So now I'm just doing the side content before I finish that up.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Can someone explain food/drink vitality regeneration?

Why do some items have a vitality regeneration over so many seconds while other list vitality regeneration with a fixed figure and also regeneration during combat, even though I can use any food item during combat?

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't overthink it and focus more on not getting hit then meditating after an engagement. Food should be used in emergency situations IMO.

Anyway. I love playing this game like an *******. I see the situations where it's like "you should've been more polite, now you have to fight these jerks" but I genuinely enjoy the combat as someone who has been doing FPS' the last few years.

Also Novigrad is beautifully designed. If too big at times.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't overthink it and focus more on not getting hit then meditating after an engagement. Food should be used in emergency situations IMO.

Anyway. I love playing this game like an *******. I see the situations where it's like "you should've been more polite, now you have to fight these jerks" but I genuinely enjoy the combat as someone who has been doing FPS' the last few years.

Also Novigrad is beautifully designed. If too big at times.

I agree, however I feel like for what should be a simple game mechanic its needlessly complicated.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Finally got around to installing 1.21 and Blood and Wine. I hate updates because it can be a pain in the ass trying to get all my mods to cooperate.

Figure I'm going to finish up Act II, go through Hearts of Stone, go through most of Act III then knock out Blood and Wine before the final main quest. Probably will be even more over-levelled than I already am (and under-levelled for Blood and Wine)... but something weird about playing DLC after finishing the main story for me.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ugh... script compilation errors, how I missed you. Witcher 3 has to be the most impossible game in existence to have coexist with mods. I guess it could be worse though, only 7 of them are being *******s this time.

Last edited:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Meditating doesn't work to refill vitality on the highest two levels. At the beginning of the game you pretty much need to rely on food. As you upgrade swallow and can carry more potions around it makes life a lot easier.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Not a huge fan of the menu redesigns. Some good aspects to it but it seems way too dumbed down and consolized.

And it's also broken my XP which is stuck at 2000/2000 on level 26.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So is this expansion any good? Trying to avoid spoilers

I'm only a few hours in story-wise, but absolutely. The new region is easily the main draw here; it's absolutely beautiful and is a really welcome change from the main game's world. The dreary landscapes of the main game are beautiful in their own way, but this expansion looks as if CD Projekt Red wanted to create their own Utopian world (at least in terms of look/atmosphere) and it's ****ing amazing.

Surprising amount of new material as well (in terms of both gameplay elements and enemies).

If you liked/loved the main game, I honestly cannot think of a reason to not invest the $20 to get it. For something like Hearts of Stone, if you didn't play the game for the story, I could see not getting it, but this expansion is new everything. It's pretty much its own new game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad