Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Oh yeah, I'm absolutely pumped for this.
The whole thing looks positively delicious and a perfect way to round out Geralt's story.

And then I'll be replaying it over and over while waiting 5-6 years for the next Witcher. :D

Stinks that it may be that long. I figure CP2077 will be late 2017 or 2018. I do wonder if they'll just follow it up with another CP game (as long as it does well), go to new IP, or go back to Witcher. I just hope that CDPR can at least release a game every 2 years. 2007, 2011, 2015... they tend to average 4 years between releases. Since they're becoming a bigger company, I'd hope they can knock that down to 2 years. 4 years is way too long between games these days. Plus they're pretty much just using an upgraded version of the Witcher 3 engine on CP2077, so that should greatly cut down on development time.

It'd be best if they can at least have a primary game and then another kind of simmering in the background. For example, while TW3 was in development, CP2077 was kind of being worked on in the background. Now that CP2077 will be the main project (once B&W releases), then whatever comes next should be worked on as a secondary project. In the past CDPR wasn't big enough to do something like that.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised for them to go back to Witcher after CP2077 only because of how big TW3 was. It was really the first Witcher game that had a really big impact in the gaming world. TW2 was fairly popular, but I think TW3 broke CDPR into the mainstream. So they'd be foolish not to capitalize on that.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I thought the Witcher 3 did a perfect job of wrapping up the series; however, the variability of the endings kind of ties their hands.

I would have loved a series based around Ciri

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I thought the Witcher 3 did a perfect job of wrapping up the series; however, the variability of the endings kind of ties their hands.

I would have loved a series based around Ciri

Ciri would be fun, but she became kinda OP by the end of TW3. They'd have to tone her down a lot to make the game challenging.

IMO, the best would be to just create a new witcher character with his own backstory and such and then do a game based on him. I wouldn't mind a game based on Letho or something as well. I personally think you can have a better story when the character at least has a defined backstory and way of going about things. I know some people disagree.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'd rather not do a game around Letho. His story is already pretty much told at this point.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Word was they barely started work on Cyberpunk 2077 so I expect it to be at least 4 to 5 years away.

As far as another Witcher game I think it's best not too because they'd basically have to create a new Witcher for it.

I know plenty of people probably haven't read the books but they really helped make the cast of this game (not so much for the two previous ones) much stronger.

Not sure they could pull it off without the foundation they inherited. I suppose Cyberpunk might prove me wrong though.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't think a new Witcher would work without Geralt. He might be one of the best video game characters (I know, we're cheating here because of the books) of all time.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Gonna do another run through of this game before I get both of the expansions. I haven't played Hearts of Stone yet, so I'm excited to do both of them in succession.

I'm also eagerly awaiting an all Gwent expansion. I'll hand over my right arm for it if need be.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So I've played about 5 hours so far, just exploring round that first village, and I think I've died more in those 5 hours than I have in 50 hours of Fallout 4 haha.

Bit of a steep learning curve so far, but I think I'm starting to get my head round it. I'm impressed that every mini quest has a series of cut scenes - that's a lot of effort right there.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
So I've played about 5 hours so far, just exploring round that first village, and I think I've died more in those 5 hours than I have in 50 hours of Fallout 4 haha.

Bit of a steep learning curve so far, but I think I'm starting to get my head round it. I'm impressed that every mini quest has a series of cut scenes - that's a lot of effort right there.

In the early levels you should always try to fight the ennemies 1v1. mobs will wreck you quickly

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
In the early levels you should always try to fight the ennemies 1v1. mobs will wreck you quickly

Yeah, I'm figuring that out, trying to lure them out to fight 1v1, and then use that force wave sign to blast them back if more come out.

It's a real challenge to change the way I fight after years of Bethesda games were I've just rushed in mashing the attack button. I had a fight last night with some bandits, and I took them all out apart from the leader who had a large shield he hid behind that did nothing but blunt my sword*. The force wave staggered him but he kept his shield up, the fire sign didn't do much damage, and he had a very powerful counterattack. After about 5 minutes of stalemate and me wondering how I was going to defeat him, I tried the mind control sign - he lowered his shield and I sliced him in 2 with one swing of my sword :yo: It was a very satisfying moment.

* I hate this mechanic though. I hated it in Morrowind and I hate it here. I've just sold all my loot and then used the profit to pay to have my weapons repaired. This is not fun or interesting or challenging, it's just annoying. What next a whetstone mini-game where you have to spend and hour sharpening your swords every day? :shakehead

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I can't say I found my weapons and armour to deteriorate that quickly.

You should carry repair items with you at all times and use them ASAP: if the whetstone repairs 15% then use it as soon as the weapon hits 85%; waiting makes combat harder and repairs more expensive. Always check your items after two or three large encounters to stay on top of things.

For enemies that carry shields let them attack and sidestep them quickly to hit them from the side. It is similar to how you deal with people with long range weapons: one or two hits rather than a full combo and back off because they will recover, block and that will stagger you.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I love the combat in this game. It's simple, yet satisfying. You're able to be a total badass, but also get wrecked if you are reckless.

One thing that I didn't like about Skyrim was that you had a billion options to use in combat, and it was really just too much. I have a hundred shouts to use, a hundred special abilities, a hundred different pots, etc. The Witcher found a really good balance where you don't get overwhelmed with choices, and yet it's still rich enough to be rewarding.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
I am still working on my second walkthrough, I just recently hit level 10 I have so far to go. But I was able to fix one of the mistakes I did earlier in my first run through.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It was really tough for me to play Fallout 4 after beating this. The combat was just miserable. Too easy to crouch around and stealth shoot everyone. I love this game's combat. Probably my only beef is they could have made the boss / big monster battles more difficult and varied.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I am still working on my second walkthrough, I just recently hit level 10 I have so far to go. But I was able to fix one of the mistakes I did earlier in my first run through.

On my second walkthrough myself. Decided to do it on a harder difficulty, and I'm loving how I gain less xp. I drove myself mad trying to be at, or under the suggested level for the main quest line. I ended up not even doing any other quests or exploration until I finished the main quest line. Now I can go at the pace I like.

It was really tough for me to play Fallout 4 after beating this. The combat was just miserable. Too easy to crouch around and stealth shoot everyone. I love this game's combat. Probably my only beef is they could have made the boss / big monster battles more difficult and varied.

I'd agree with that. I walked through every boss battle, including the last fight of the game. Hopefully it's a little more challenging with the harder difficulty I'm on now, but yeah, the combat is still freakin' awesome in this game.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
On my second walkthrough myself. Decided to do it on a harder difficulty, and I'm loving how I gain less xp. I drove myself mad trying to be at, or under the suggested level for the main quest line. I ended up not even doing any other quests or exploration until I finished the main quest line. Now I can go at the pace I like.

I couldn't do that, I'm driven by doing side quests instead of the main storyline again. I see a sidequest I have to take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad