Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just do all the sidequests as soon as possible expect if the recommended level is much higher than the one you are at.

To find the sidequests check your map regularly: whenever there's an exclamation mark it's usually someone who wants to give you a quest. Make sure you go to every village to find all the quests via villagers and the billboards.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Up to about 125 hours now and only halfway through Skellige. All quests and locations finished/discovered in Velen and Novigrad except for the very upper Northeast portion since I don't want to finish all of the Hearts of Stone stuff at the moment. Playing on Death March, had to get creative to take out Fallen Knights, Wraiths, Arachamorphs, Nekkers, Haripes etc 15+ levels higher than me.

Headed to Skellige at level 20, a little overlevelled but I didn't really care. With every passing hour I play this game, the more I'm convinced it's the greatest videogame ever created. The Witcher lore in and of itself has fascinated me from the time I picked up the first game but this world is so alive and so beautifully crafted. Can't ever remember another game that felt like it lived and breathed or had such nuanced characters and depth to its quests. Witcher 3's side quests are better than the majority of main story-lines in video games these days and it's hard to play anything else *cough* Fallout 4 *cough* after a game like Wild Hunt.

Last edited:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I've had the exact same feelings.

I haven't been able to really get into any other games since I beat Wild Hunt. Hopefully Dark Souls III can offer what the other games I've played were lacking.

edit:

Looks like they are starting up their advertising campaign for Blood and Wine.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/04/witcher-medallion-antenna/

Our sneak previews continue today with another special one! Starting with the FREE “Hoops†update on April 26, Witcher fans can customize their Battle-Cars with the Witcher Medallion Antenna thanks to our friends at CD Projekt Red! We thought it was an apt choice in anticipation of their upcoming Blood and Wine expansion.

CD Projekt continuing to restart their marketing for the game. I imagine we'll get a release date/trailer soon.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So I would expect them to announce the release date on May 19th which would be the anniversary of the release of the game.

A glorious day that was!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Anyone got a good synopsis read through/video I could watch for the first two games? Not really interested in playing the first 2 (I have them on steam, but my computer has all sorts of problems atm), but I want to know whats happened in the story up to 3 (which I've got on ps4) before I get it going.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone got a good synopsis read through/video I could watch for the first two games? Not really interested in playing the first 2 (I have them on steam, but my computer has all sorts of problems atm), but I want to know whats happened in the story up to 3 (which I've got on ps4) before I get it going.

They don't really matter to be quite frank. There's a love story that continues in the third game but it's very minor.

Don't fret not having played the first two games.

EDIT: looks like Steam had a release date for Blood and Wine of May 31st!! The page was taken down obviously and it could have been a mistake but it makes sense.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
EDIT: looks like Steam had a release date for Blood and Wine of May 31st!! The page was taken down obviously and it could have been a mistake but it makes sense.
This is pretty good timing for me. I should be able to play through Uncharted 4 and finish my Death March play through in time. Looking forward to it for sure.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So picked this up today, based exclusively on the rave reviews of you guys in this forum. Never played any of the Witcher games before, any non-spoilery advice for a complete noob?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
So picked this up today, based exclusively on the rave reviews of you guys in this forum. Never played any of the Witcher games before, any non-spoilery advice for a complete noob?
Get to know about oils and decoctions. Use the Quen sign often and learn when to roll and when to dodge. If you're playing on a high difficulty, be wary of mobs. Everything else is up to your play style.

Also, get familiar with the crafting system. Crafting Witcher gear helps a lot.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I was in the same boat when I bought it, having not played the series. Just power through to the bloody baron part and the story/world really opens up after that sequence (JMO). I found it boring and blah up until that point. I had actually quit playing it for a few months and then gave it another go. after the initial bloody baron parts it really got good and gripping imo. became my favorite game actually.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

Make sure you use your full arsenal, bombs, oils, potions, crafting, signs, etc.

If you just try to get by with your two swords you'll manage but the game will be hard, especially for someone new.

Without spoiling anything, fully explore the 1st area to get a decent level, then try to advance the main quest up until the Red Baron. Once you've finished that section, then start exploring everything.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Contrary to the above point (which I took to heart on my playthrough), I'd actually say don't be afraid to power through the main quest (although obviously just go through it at a pace which you find most enjoyable). I'm a bit of an OCD video game player where I like to take my time, explore everything, and "save" the main quest to some degree, or at least really drag it out so I can see what else the game has to offer.

That's the way I started this game (I spent something like 15 hours in the opening area which, looking back on it, was absolutely ridiculous), but found out as I went along that's probably not the best idea. The reason for that is that the sidequests are awesome in this game (especially relative to what you're used to in an RPG), so you still have a lot to look forward to outside of the main quest. Hell, even just walking around taking in the world is rewarding in this game. And I'm not even including the ~30 hours of expansions if you decide to get those. Also, I found I was over-leveled for a lot of stuff considering I did a ton of sidequests instead of the main story to start off.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Pretty big info dump today on Blood and Wine. Looks like it adds 30+ hours of gameplay and just a ridiculous amount of content overall.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Quen is your friend, especially if you're playing on higher difficulties.

Don't tarry too long in an area. If you want to push through for the story then just do it. Like others have said, there's no need to putz around in White Orchard once you've gotten bored of it. There are other better side quests which you will actually want to do and will net you what you need. Just keep going.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pretty big info dump today on Blood and Wine. Looks like it adds 30+ hours of gameplay and just a ridiculous amount of content overall.

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely pumped for this.
The whole thing looks positively delicious and a perfect way to round out Geralt's story.

And then I'll be replaying it over and over while waiting 5-6 years for the next Witcher. :D

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Contrary to the above point (which I took to heart on my playthrough), I'd actually say don't be afraid to power through the main quest (although obviously just go through it at a pace which you find most enjoyable). I'm a bit of an OCD video game player where I like to take my time, explore everything, and "save" the main quest to some degree, or at least really drag it out so I can see what else the game has to offer.

That's the way I started this game (I spent something like 15 hours in the opening area which, looking back on it, was absolutely ridiculous), but found out as I went along that's probably not the best idea. The reason for that is that the sidequests are awesome in this game (especially relative to what you're used to in an RPG), so you still have a lot to look forward to outside of the main quest. Hell, even just walking around taking in the world is rewarding in this game. And I'm not even including the ~30 hours of expansions if you decide to get those. Also, I found I was over-leveled for a lot of stuff considering I did a ton of sidequests instead of the main story to start off.

Your post is a fair point but i'd say the main problem is the part i bolded.

Even if the quest is fun and the story is interesting it kinda sucks to get 1xp reward for a quest.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah the overleveling safeguard kinda sucked for a completionist like myself. Had to specifically do quests at the lowest doable level one after the other to make sure I could get the maximum xp reward from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad