Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part II

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Schalke are also hemorrhaging money and about to get relegated. I don’t think Liverpool is getting new guys in just to throw them into the lions den. They’ll want to train them up first. Davies might get a game before Kabak. Again I could be wrong but Liverpool are not going to bet their season on these guys.

and not for nothing you also thought a week ago LFC wouldn’t get a CB because they started winning again. So let’s see what happens.

Well this looks like it's a compromise solution between 'getting help' and doing nothing. Not really a fully-fledged defender you want to put in there vs City, but a warm body with some potential upside and without much money involved.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well this looks like it's a compromise solution between 'getting help' and doing nothing. Not really a fully-fledged defender you want to put in there vs City, but a warm body with some potential upside and without much money involved.
Yes. You get what you pay for. Only City can spend 40m on a backup defender during a pandemic. LFC do not have a ton of money right now. They have to compromise.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Kabak is also 20. He's a beast in the air, and his stats last season were really good. This year? Mediocre. He was also suspended for 5 matches for spitting.

He has a ton of talent, sure, but he does need a change of scenery, already, which is a bit troubling. I will say, there's no way Klopp is authorizing getting him if he was a donkey. His buddy Wagner was his manager last year, and they've got a guy in the backroom who was just at Schalke recently. They've been on top of these types of things for a while now.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for whether he starts? He might. He might not. It all really depends on how he looks in training. He isn't being bought to play right away, though he has much more experience at a top level in central defense than anything else they have that is healthy. Liverpool are still going to buy for potential improvement.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Kabak is also 20. He's a beast in the air, and his stats last season were really good. This year? Mediocre. He was also suspended for 5 matches for spitting.

He has a ton of talent, sure, but he does need a change of scenery, already, which is a bit troubling. I will say, there's no way Klopp is authorizing getting him if he was a donkey. His buddy Wagner was his manager last year, and they've got a guy in the backroom who was just at Schalke recently. They've been on top of these types of things for a while now.

Well on that spitting thing...Wagner who was still the Schalke manager then basically defended Kabak 100% at the time - saying that it must have been unintentional while conceding that the footage makes it look like it was intentional. He based his defense on having known Kabak for a year as a great guy who wouldn't do something like that.

So it looks to me like Wagner probably gave Klopp the 'go-ahead' on the move while vouching for Kabak. I've seen the footage and you gotta have a lot of faith in the kid to say it was unintentional. It's not impossible, but the context kinda makes it difficult to believe. Kabak fouls the Bremen player, who hits the deck, then Kabak looks grimly down at him before spitting.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool also brought in that physio from Schalke. Schlumberger (maybe the right spelling?) he will know Kabak as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh he definitely spit on that guy on purpose. Ordinarily I’d have a problem with signing someone like that but this is a rather desperate situation.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Daryl Dike on loan from Orlando to Barnsley. Their is an option to buy, but apparently its very high (20 million)

A good chance for a bunch more MLS guys to go out on short team loan.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Oh he definitely spit on that guy on purpose. Ordinarily I’d have a problem with signing someone like that but this is a rather desperate situation.
Yeah, I'd say he is likely to have done it.

I don't have as much of a problem with any of that. Dude is young, makes stupid mistakes, though, clearly, if another one occurs, bomb him out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dumbasses OM rejected 23M for DCC from Liverpool !
KFC probably wants to pay 1 pound now and 22 million over the next seven years lol. The club is dirt poor at the moment, good for OM in rejecting rubbish deals compared to Wolves.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not happy about this. Would prefer keeping him as a starter to be honest. West Brom will now have an entirely Hale End academy backline. Maitland-Niles - Bartley - Ajayi - Gibbs, all Arsenal academy products.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
KFC probably wants to pay 1 pound now and 22 million over the next seven years lol. The club is dirt poor at the moment, good for OM in rejecting rubbish deals compared to Wolves.
I mean Schalke was okay with that too. OM fully within their rights to say no, but they aren’t going to hold Liverpool hostage either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am so happy I don't have to watch Mustafi play another match in an Arsenal kit again.
Not happy about this. Would prefer keeping him as a starter to be honest. West Brom will now have an entirely Hale End academy backline. Maitland-Niles - Bartley - Ajayi - Gibbs, all Arsenal academy products.

I just do not understand why Arsenal thinks Maitland-Niles needs to go on loan? We're not in the Barista Cup, the FA Cup, and we're going to play majority of starters in Europa since we're in knockout stages. We needed to loan out Willock or Nelson instead who probably got passed by Cebellos, ESR, and Odegaard on the depth-chart. AMN has played good and can play multiple positions, this is a weird one.

I mean Schalke was okay with that too. OM fully within their rights to say no, but they aren’t going to hold Liverpool hostage either.
Schalke has been one of the worst clubs in Europe this season, I doubt they have a lot of power with their current situation.

Reactions: AB13

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would rather re-sign Nat Phillips than buy Kabak right now.
That is quite some hyperbole there. Kabak has a much higher ceiling. Either way maybe neither is on the team next season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That is quite some hyperbole there. Kabak has a much higher ceiling. Either way maybe neither is on the team next season.
There's no hyperbole. Phillips has played really well (many called for him to be MotM vs. Spurs) in every game he's played for Liverpool. He did really well in Germany, locked it down in the one game he played for Liverpool in the cup against Everton despite getting called back from loan for that one game. There are better young defenders out there than Kabak and Phillips can be a great role-player for the team. His handling has been weird in general. Does Kabak really have a 'much higher ceiling'?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad