Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part II

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Official

Wearing number 19 which is a horrible number for a centerback. Ironically Steven Caulker, the last loan CB wore 19 too.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Would like to see the math behind this statement. Don’t agree.

Signing a guy in January after he impressed in European competitions against them in the fall, then barely playing them even though they look decent in short bursts, and then (now it seems, at least) loaning them out. I was being tongue-in-cheek, but I could easily see Liverpool loaning Minamino and then selling them, and him breaking out in a significant way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Signing a guy in January after he impressed in European competitions against them in the fall, then barely playing them even though they look decent in short bursts, and then (now it seems, at least) loaning them out. I was being tongue-in-cheek, but I could easily see Liverpool loaning Minamino and then selling them, and him breaking out in a significant way.
I still don't understand the logic behind running Origi and Shaqiri out there when Minamino is rotting on the bench after impressing. Liverpool's player acquisition has been great the last few years, and they've obviously been really successful, but some of the decision making regarding personnel have been baffling to me. Same thing with his Kabak thing when you've got Phillips doing a great job and better players that will be available in the summer.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think some of Minamino’s issue is he’s a tweener. He isn’t pacey enough to play wide forward or striker, and he isn’t physical enough running wise to play midfield for Klopp.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They didn't loan him over money, they loaned him because he needs to play.

To be honest he hasn't been that decent and I don't like to say that about our players. He's not terrible like Origi, but he doesn't do very much. That being said our team is not engineered for a player like him to score a lot. Shaqiri is much more impactful and Jota will be back soon. Elliott is definitely going to be a major part of our plans next season as well.

I still don't understand the logic behind running Origi and Shaqiri out there when Minamino is rotting on the bench after impressing. Liverpool's player acquisition has been great the last few years, and they've obviously been really successful, but some of the decision making regarding personnel have been baffling to me. Same thing with his Kabak thing when you've got Phillips doing a great job and better players that will be available in the summer.

Shaqiri plays like crap a lot but he also makes a key play leading to a goal more often than not. He has end product and that's more important than his overall consistency. He's also a good soldier for the club as I've never heard him complain even though he has long gaps where he doesn't play, comes back and immediately does something good.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
And this is why LFC got two.

Jürgen Klopp confirms Joel Matip injury diagnosis

Matip out for the season

Yeah unfortunately as good as this guy is, and even though he is near world class when fit, Klopp and Edwards need to make plans where his fitness is a luxury rather than expected. It's too bad because a giant CB who can play with his elegance is great to watch, but he just can't stay fit.

Also, I am reasonably sure this deal for Kabak was made with the intention of buying him unless he completely flops. The club is going to be skint again next summer and need to prioritize. They can sell to buy one or two great players but probably not more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So basically Liverpool’s CB depth for the rest of the season is Fabinho, Davies, Kabak, Phillips?

Yup. Henderson probably ahead of Phillips and Kabak ahead of Davies. I still like Wijnaldum at CB but Klopp hasn't tried that again this season. But you can't make that shit up, like how could that even happen. Speaks to the quality of the midfielders that they play really well in that position, it's still absurd though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So basically Liverpool’s CB depth for the rest of the season is Fabinho, Davies, Kabak, Phillips?
And Henderson. I think I’d rather have Henderson CB and Fabinho in midfield.
Fabinho-Henderson is still the top choice pairing if I had to guess

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah unfortunately as good as this guy is, and even though he is near world class when fit, Klopp and Edwards need to make plans where his fitness is a luxury rather than expected. It's too bad because a giant CB who can play with his elegance is great to watch, but he just can't stay fit.

Also, I am reasonably sure this deal for Kabak was made with the intention of buying him unless he completely flops. The club is going to be skint again next summer and need to prioritize. They can sell to buy one or two great players but probably not more.

I'm still not entirely sure how Liverpool manage to be so skint given the already huge fanbase and the recent massive success with incredibly marketable personalities like Klopp and Salah. Shouldn't this really say that the gentlemen in Boston are being miserly?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm still not entirely sure how Liverpool manage to be so skint given the already huge fanbase and the recent massive success with incredibly marketable personalities like Klopp and Salah. Shouldn't this really say that the gentlemen in Boston are being miserly?
They actually care about FFP? No stadium revenue and giving tv money back... ad money is also down.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

They got hurt worse by lack of matchday revenue than most teams, and they needed that revenue to pay off the stadium expansion. They have lost a massive amount of money. They also have a gigantic wage bill and made quite a bit of transfers in the summer despite any financial problems. That being said I'm not remotely bothered by the lack of funds given the level of the team and what they've spent in the last few years. Perhaps skint isn't the right word because they're one of the clubs that did not cut their players wages, but they can't afford to buy 50m players without making some sales.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Here’s another factor. Roster numbers and registration play into it. Kabak can register as a u21 spot, considering he’s 20. Davies being English can take Joe Hardy’s spot, allowing them to save one for VVD if he makes it back by April. Not sure if they would have done the wrangling with numbers with some of the other players they were linked with.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gini can’t do central defense, because who runs in the midfield if he’s there?
Yeah it's very important to have one of Henderson or Gini in midfield IMO. The amount of work they do and their ability to glue the midfield (along with many other positive traits) is really important to how Liverpool play. I think the midfield is fine with Fabinho on defence though. Sucks to have both Fabinho and Henderson back there, but even a midfield of Thiago/Jones/Wijnaldum is pretty impressive. Jones is a very good player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Jean Clair Todibo from Barcelona to OGC Nice, done deal confirmed on loan with buy option.
Exclusive details about the buy option: €8,5m + add ons up to potential €15m. Barcelona will also have 15% of future sale. #DeadlineDay #FCB

From Fabrizio

Again, smart move by Nice here. Low risk, high reward potential.

More importantly, happy for the player as I think he'll get playing time again Hopefully he kills it with Nice.

Were that true then Spurs did PSG a big favor.

Still never saw a source out of France about this. All they do is use the english sources.
And I also see zero point for PSG to get him.
The only sense it made was because of Poch but even then the rumor was on before he came.

I would think so. Can't imagine why they'd make that move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad