Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kabak is a good young CB if moving to a healthier environment gets him to bounce back to last season's form. Schalke has been such an unmitigated disaster collectively, that it's hard to assess anyone on that team individually, this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's no hyperbole. Phillips has played really well (many called for him to be MotM vs. Spurs) in every game he's played for Liverpool. He did really well in Germany, locked it down in the one game he played for Liverpool in the cup against Everton despite getting called back from loan for that one game. There are better young defenders out there than Kabak and Phillips can be a great role-player for the team. His handling has been weird in general. Does Kabak really have a 'much higher ceiling'?
I think the important people tend to think so. Kabak is also like 4 years younger than Phillips. Phillips isn’t really soccer young anymore. There was a reason that he was supposed to be sold to Swansea and that he wasn’t registered for Champions League. He is a limited player. Of course that being said I don’t think LFC bin him right away. There is also no obligation to keep or even to play Kabak if he shows he doesn’t deserve it. Kabak partially by his own doing have had a season from hell. Let’s see if Klopp can work his magic.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kabak has excellent potential. Any team should be happy with this signing. Then again, player evaluation and all...

Anyway, Giorgino Rutter is going to Hoffenheim now. They gave up a few M to save the next 6 months and have him now rather than on a free this summer.
Great move for them, terrible news for Rennes.
He's an exciting young striker, who's capable of playing far from the goal, come back to midfield or go to a wing. He's a confident lad who, if he progresses in terms of finishing, could be a great player.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rugani sucks too much for Rennes. They terminated his loan. He could be loaned to Cagliari.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kabak is a good young CB if moving to a healthier environment gets him to bounce back to last season's form. Schalke has been such an unmitigated disaster collectively, that it's hard to assess anyone on that team individually, this season.
But how much playing time is he going to get once Reds get healthy? That's the problem I see...he's fourth or fifth on their depth chart at most.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But how much playing time is he going to get once Reds get healthy? That's the problem I see...he's fourth or fifth on their depth chart at most.
At a six month loan who cares? He earns a spot and then he is fine or he isn’t good enough and someone else can try next year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Our top three CB's are not likely to be healthy the entire rest of the season. I know Matip is going to come back but he'll play for three weeks and get hurt again. Matip should be leaving in the summer anyway so there is a position to be won there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There's even been a game where Fabinho and Henderson were the CB pairing. Fab also did just pick up a minor injury.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Kabak physically is much better than Phillips. all of his abilities are better. Phillips is just taller (though Kabak’s header stats are good). He also will play. When everyone’s fit, he’s the third choice; and if Gomez has consistency issues, he could give him a run. Talent wise his ceiling is very high.

Phillips has done a job, and he’s been ok when he plays, but he just isn’t good enough. If he was, he would’ve been playing months ago. He actually needs playing time elsewhere to find his level.
Looks like Newcastle had tried to get Kabak over the line but Liverpool made the move.

on the Davies move, not exactly the Klopp ringing endorsement of basically “well if we weren’t broke, and had a bunch of people hurt we wouldn’t have looked at Preston”. For me on this one, I think if he’s decent, plays a little, they can easily recoup double what they paid.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
With Klopp's track record I like the Davies signing. I'm not going to rule out the idea he'll be good. Already been proven wrong many times on that front. Not going to get my hopes up either though.

Dunno what to say about Kabak other than that they obviously tried to sign other players and wound up forced to sign the spitter guy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
With Klopp's track record I like the Davies signing. I'm not going to rule out the idea he'll be good. Already been proven wrong many times on that front. Not going to get my hopes up either though.

Dunno what to say about Kabak other than that they obviously tried to sign other players and wound up forced to sign the spitter guy.
Kabak has been linked with Liverpool for a while. He was always high on their list. He's a MUCH better signing than DCC.

However, Leipzig got Simakan for 15M+bonuses.
Player will be loaned to Strasbourg to finish the year (like the club and the player wanted).
Great, great move for them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean if Kabak is a loan with an option, it all doesn’t matter. Get him in house, see how he is. If he sucks, get one or both of the guys from RB Leipzig this summer

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I also think the Ben Davies signing could turn into another Andrew Robertson situation.

People forget that before Robo became the LFC legend he was also viewed as a longshot when he was signed.

I think Davies and/or Kabak could set their future as LFC starter if they perform very well. Yes even ahead of Gomez who is also very inconsistent.

Anyway the best situation for LFC is that Fabinho and Henderson can finally return in midfield where they are elite.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I also think the Ben Davies signing could turn into another Andrew Robertson situation.

People forget that before Robo became the LFC legend he was also viewed as a longshot when he was signed.

I think Davies and/or Kabak could set their future as LFC starter if they perform very well. Yes even ahead of Gomez who is also very inconsistent.

Anyway the best situation for LFC is that Fabinho and Henderson can finally return in midfield where they are elite.
Robertson looked great in the PL with Hull right? I could have sworn Robertson was really good before moving to Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Minamino going on loan to Southampton.

I mean if Liverpool aren’t going to play him, may as well?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Robertson looked great in the PL with Hull right? I could have sworn Robertson was really good before moving to Liverpool.
He was fine but wasn’t near the player he is not. Hell when he went to Liverpool he was still behind Alberto Moreno for a couple of months.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He was obvously highly regarded by LFC scouting team but the fans/pundit had very little expectations.

He was LFC Plan B to Ben Chilwell (which was highly praised by David Wagner (Klopp best friend) who coached him). The fans had little expectations for Robo and he was actually criticized for joining LFC as he was considered a longshot to start and he would not receive enough playing time. He was used as a backup initially and by his fabulous play, he proved that he was amazing and became the undisputed starter by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I don’t know if Minamino will start but if this deal gets done it at least means Shane Long gets loaned to Bournemouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad