Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester City was a champion. Pep just isn't that great of a manager. The City roster never needed overhauling.

This new age of football with managers needing to overhaul squads and spend hundreds upon hundreds of millions to "compete" is ridiculous.

Pep is ridiculous.

Manchester City was a champion three years ago. The average age of that roster was 25.54. Not a single player from that roster under 25 is in the squad today. At the end of this season the average age of the squad will be almost 28. Aguero is the only key player left from that title-winning team still under the age of 30.

There's plenty of room for criticism of how much City are spending, but the idea that the 2013-14 roster was going to cut it this year or for Pep's entire tenure at City is far more ridiculous than Pep.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Manchester City was a champion. Pep just isn't that great of a manager. The City roster never needed overhauling.

This new age of football with managers needing to overhaul squads and spend hundreds upon hundreds of millions to "compete" is ridiculous.

Pep is ridiculous.

Even before Guardiola took over there was talk of how that team was a bunch of expensive players thrown together without much concept. Their performance has long been rather schizophrenic. The need for an overhaul seemed evident even before Pep was brought in so I don't think it's surprising, I don't think it can be attributed solely to him and I definitely don't think it's ridiuclous.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

Pep is ridiculous.
Yaya Touré was a key player and dominant force in those squads.At his age you can't say that he can still impact a game like he used to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pep's biggest failure this year is that he spent more money than anyone, but the team really hasn't improved overall in results compared with last year. Is he going to need to spend £600 million to 'fix' the club?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Pep is ridiculous.

I find Pep to be one of those managers who isn't too flexible when speaking of systems, which makes him dependant on building a team with specific players. When he has acquired these specific players, that's when he will be able to do some real damage. And he hasn't even completed a full season for the team mate.

Pep is still one of the best managers in the world. I'd be more worried about my own club if I were you.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I find Pep to be one of those managers who isn't too flexible when speaking of systems, which makes him dependant on building a team with specific players. When he has acquired these specific players, that's when he will be able to do some real damage. And he hasn't even completed a full season for the team mate.

Pep is still one of the best managers in the world. I'd be more worried about my own club if I were you.

His inability to win the CL with Bayern Munich is pretty damning. He had plenty of rest, an easy route, and he couldn't win. Ancelotti's Munich are better. What happens if Munich win the CL this year?

I have no doubts that Wenger would have CL's and multiple league titles had he left Arsenal. Not sure why he's even being brought into this.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ancelotti's Munich are better.

Better how?

They're less dominant than with Pep, also when I watch them at times they're not as fun as they were before. Pep had these hybrid tactical formations that were always interesting to see, with Ancelotti it's more of a boring 442.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
His inability to win the CL with Bayern Munich is pretty damning. He had plenty of rest, an easy route, and he couldn't win. Ancelotti's Munich are better. What happens if Munich win the CL this year?

I have no doubts that Wenger would have CL's and multiple league titles had he left Arsenal. Not sure why he's even being brought into this.

When did he have an easy route with Bayern? If Munich wins the CL this year, luck with bounces, draws, and referee decisions will undoubtedly play a big part, as they do with nearly every CL title winner. When a huge match is decided over 90 or 180 minutes, upsets will happen, and a lot of luck will be involved. It's not like if they win the CL the year before and the year after Pep, with a different coach they would have won it every year in between as well. Or even have won it once.

In their case, it also helps that all of the top Spanish teams are having an off year compared to the past three.

Better how?

They're less dominant than with Pep, also when I watch them at times they're not as fun as they were before. Pep had these hybrid tactical formations that were always interesting to see, with Ancelotti it's more of a boring 442.

They aren't better or more fun imo. None of the Bayern fans whose opinions I read or hear think this year's team is better than under Pep. More direct though and more of a typical top team that wins through individual superiority.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Pep is ridiculous.

The Manchester City squad at present is not capable of competing at the levels the owners and manager wants it to be.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Because I interpreted it as you ****talking about nonsense. As DM said, City were champions in 2014, with plenty of key players in their prime. They went on to finish second in 2015 and fourth in 2016. I don't see how you can criticize Pep for improving the team during his first season. Losing Gündogan to injury for basically the entire season is a pretty big loss. He still has some refurbishing of the back-line to do though.

And I too think Bayern were better under Pep.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Losing Gundogan was also very much possible when he spent loads of money on him.

His investments have been pretty poor compared to the money spent. Only Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sané have given some good impact and they too were huge money investments.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Losing Gundogan was also very much possible when he spent loads of money on him.

His investments have been pretty poor compared to the money spent. Only Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sané have given some good impact and they too were huge money investments.

When Moreno - Jesus - Sane combine to be one of the most deadly attacking trios in football in a couple of years...especially if they add a star striker for them to play around...they'll justify those outrageous transfer fees; just like Mbappe will if they can sign him this summer.

Those transfers are much less problematic than the money they blew entirely on defenders.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Maybe. Or maybe Torres. Or maybe Simeone just likes to have a lot of options at striker. Like how they started 15/16 with Griezmann, Jackson, Vietto, and Torres.

I'm looking at it from an economical stand point. They are going to pony up for Lacazette and not sell Griezmann? Unless they are moving someone else for a large price.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm looking at it from an economical stand point. They are going to pony up for Lacazette and not sell Griezmann? Unless they are moving someone else for a large price.

They've shown a willingness to run a large transfer deficit in past summers. Spent 42.5M more last summer than they got from sales. We'll see.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
When did he have an easy route with Bayern? If Munich wins the CL this year, luck with bounces, draws, and referee decisions will undoubtedly play a big part, as they do with nearly every CL title winner. When a huge match is decided over 90 or 180 minutes, upsets will happen, and a lot of luck will be involved. It's not like if they win the CL the year before and the year after Pep, with a different coach they would have won it every year in between as well. Or even have won it once.

In their case, it also helps that all of the top Spanish teams are having an off year compared to the past three.

They aren't better or more fun imo. None of the Bayern fans whose opinions I read or hear think this year's team is better than under Pep. More direct though and more of a typical top team that wins through individual superiority.

Bayern always have an easy route. Barcelona/Madrid/Altetico have to play each other, and Sevilla/Valencia are no slouches either. Bayern Munich winning the CL just prior to Pep arriving, and then just after his departure, says lots. To me anyway.

Diego Maradona could've coached Barcelona/Munich to titles. This notion that Pep is a genius and has a huge affect needs to die.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
City have needed new full backs for years. They have shockingly trotted out Clichy, Sagna, Kolarov and Zabaleta over the years.

It's hard to understand why they have ignored the position for this long. This and Liverpool's insistence on not buying a left back are some of the more intriguing mysteries of the league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Edo has just let EPL commentary warp his understanding of football too much. That's why he hates attractive football and loves stiff old-fashioned 'lob it into the box & hope' football.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Not necessarily Atleti have the means to buy lacazette without having to sell Greizz. I doubt he leaves without Simeone.

Edo has just let EPL commentary warp his understanding of football too much. That's why he hates attractive football and loves stiff old-fashioned 'lob it into the box & hope' football.

Edo just hates anything Barca related best not to take him serious.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It comes down to what you ultimately mean by system. I wouldn't use the term in that context, to be honest. Pep certainly has a clear basis of possession for how he approaches the game. If you have the ball, keep possession, if you do not, get it. In terms of what people more usually call "systems", I'd say Pep is one of the most flexible managers I've seen. The groundlying idea remains possession, but how he attempts to get it to work can come in very different forms. Particularly in regards to in-game adjustments of the systems, I haven't seen many more visibly flexible coaches.

Ancelotti's Munich are better.
So far, that's unquestionably incorrect.

What happens if Munich win the CL this year?
Then we celebrate a title that even the greatest of teams sometimes don't win for a decade.

I'd call Gündogan quite the bargain. That was far from loads of money in today's market.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It comes down to what you ultimately mean by system. I wouldn't use the term in that context, to be honest. Pep certainly has a clear basis of possession for how he approaches the game. If you have the ball, keep possession, if you do not, get it. In terms of what people more usually call "systems", I'd say Pep is one of the most flexible managers I've seen. The groundlying idea remains possession, but how he attempts to get it to work can come in very different forms. Particularly in regards to in-game adjustments of the systems, I haven't seen many more visibly flexible coaches.

So far, that's unquestionably incorrect.

Then we celebrate a title that even the greatest of teams sometimes don't win for a decade.

I'd call Gündogan quite the bargain. That was far from loads of money in today's market.

^This is all very right

The part about Gündogan as well. If he didn't have health issues, he would have either been sold for a lot more money (and earlier), or he would have gone to Bayern/Barca. Players of Gündogan's class who don't have health concerns go for a lot more than ~€27M these days. Only perspective from which they overpaid is that Gündogan only had one year left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad