Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Doesn´t mean players don´t have to tackle and understand how to position themselves defensively.

It is different being the first defender in such a setup and being the one that steps into the space that might be threatened if the press fails. Coutinho does the first thing well enough, but doesn´t mean he would work in a central midfield role.

Coutinho has played in a central midfield role in the past and did very well. Man of the match performances in a few cases where he had the most tackles of any player on the field. Most memorable being a match against City where he was everywhere and doing everything. He once commented that Rodgers saw him really as an 8 and that he would fit well into that role and it's true. He has the tenacity (or did). I think he's become a bit lazy and too selfish personally, but the attributes are there to be a fantastic CM.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doesn´t mean players don´t have to tackle and understand how to position themselves defensively.

It is different being the first defender in such a setup and being the one that steps into the space that might be threatened if the press fails. Coutinho does the first thing well enough, but doesn´t mean he would work in a central midfield role.

I think Coutinho is best in a center midfield role. LCM in midfield 3 is his best spot

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I still disagree. And I think you are exaggerating how good he has been when playing deeper for parts of games. You kind of got to wonder why he rarely plays there if he has been that good.

I mentioned Coutinho as an example of how the roles are different. Even if you argue Coutinho would be a no. 8 he would still be a very attacking minded midfield player. Lallana the same. And even if Henderson can play deeper as a playmaker he is also more of an "all action" midfield kind of guy. His greatest strength is not to balance a midfield (which IMO is one of the reasons why Liverpool gets cut open so often because Henderson and others just aren´t disciplined enough in their positioning - even if they got the engine). Give Henderson a Kante or Wanyama so that he can roam and he is much more effective. Ask him to babysit Coutinho and Lallana and he won´t be.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah but apparently it's the language and the food he's not getting used to. Well duh, what did he expect?

That's a big reason why I wouldn't want to live there haha, I'd have a lot of trouble adapting to their culture and language I would assume. Granted if I'm getting paid 700k a week I would try and make it work.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Language wouldn't bother me. Get an interpreter. Food however would be a big deal. Again though, get a personal chef. The guy is how rich that it shouldn't be an issue.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Language wouldn't bother me. Get an interpreter. Food however would be a big deal. Again though, get a personal chef. The guy is how rich that it shouldn't be an issue.

I mean culture is a big part of it too, if you aren't comfortable with how China is and how things go there there's no amount of money to fix that. Language and food are easy to fix but I can totally see how living in China culturally could be a real issue for a lot of people.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Plus it's not like chinese food isn't delicious; even if it is different from Argentinian cuisine...although even then it's not that far off; there's plenty of steak houses & Empanada's aren't far from many chinese deep fried pastries. Finding chimichurri sauce on the otherhand could be a challenge.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Shanghai is a financial center filled with Western expats who are also millionaires. There are probably all the comforts of the west there so I doubt amenities or food are issues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's obviously a big culture difference that many people think wouldn't be a big deal, but until you go through it, you wouldn't know and it affects everyone differently.

Even if Tevez just makes it half a season, he's still going to make a butt-load of cash.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Shanghai is a financial center filled with Western expats who are also millionaires. There are probably all the comforts of the west there so I doubt amenities or food are issues.

I mean it's definitely a lot more western than it used to be, but I can absolutely understand why he'd be uncomfortable there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Emre Can has almost a year remaining on his contract and wants 100k a week.

Think he's going to have to go, but I'm afraid he won't get that kind of money anywhere.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Chinese food is greasy and unhealthy, not like he's losing out not eating it.

All of it?

I used to live in Shanghai. Great great city. Certainly far better than Manchester (and London in my opinion). Only reason why I'm not still living there is the pollution. Food certainly isn't an issue even if I'm not exactly big on the local Shanghai cuisine (which is greasy).

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Emre Can has almost a year remaining on his contract and wants 100k a week.

Think he's going to have to go, but I'm afraid he won't get that kind of money anywhere.

Yeah if that's what he's demanding they will have to let him go. I could see him claim about 70k a week or something like that, that would be fair imo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To be fair he is not that far off worth 100k.
FSG are really cheap.

I find it very difficult to evaluate how much a player is "worth" in salary because where do you find trustworthy information on what players are paid?

http://sillyseason.com/football/fc-barcelona-players-salaries-69077/

http://sillyseason.com/football/real-madrid-players-salaries-69080/

http://sillyseason.com/football/fc-bayern-munich-players-salaries-69075/

I have no idea if those numbers are even close to reality, but if they are Can certainly isn't worth 100k.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
To be fair he is not that far off worth 100k.
FSG are really cheap.

lol what?

He might be worth half that. I'm glad that he's holding out for money though because he needs to go despite Klopp really liking him for some reason. If this forces the hand then I hope he asks for even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->