Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would have liked to see Liverpool go after Onyekuru. Really like what I've seen of him. But BMG would be a good place for him too as long as he'll get playtime.

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
I think he's not far from Verratti because he brings more in the finishing part. PSG will happily keep him, but I'd say a team like Barca would be interested in Verratti and him. Bayern might be interested too. And then both Manchester clubs. Juventus too.
Rabiot's among the very best young CMs in the game, in fact young or not.
It's just a matter of unleashing him and his playing time. When you see his performance against Barca this year or Real last year, it's quite telling.

I agree Evilo. He has impressed me every time I've watched him play, especially this year. I don't know how Motta, when healthy, still gets the nod over him. I was hoping Arsenal would have went for him this past summer instead of Xhaka.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's been a bit of a sensation in the Belgian league this season, although since December he's slowed down a bit. Had his mind set on a transfer but the owners want to wait till the end of the season to negotiate, and he's been somewhat surly since then. But he's also one of the main reasons why a very small club like Eupen will not be relegated this year.

While he's still a bit small and fragile, he's been a nightmare for a lot of defences this year. As you said, he's got very quick feet and he can score. His dribbling skills can be amazing to watch one game but then the next game it seems like he's fighting the ball so that needs some work. He usually plays left wing at Eupen but he can probably play any forward position. Sometimes he reminds me of Mane. He just needs to grow stronger. But the basics are there, it would surprise me if he didn't at least became a solid player in a top league.

However, if you want to sign him, get in line. Most pundits over here say he should move to a Belgian top club in the summer, and then make a big move next year if he continues to impress. But there are so many rumours that he will probably go abroad as fast as he can. Furthermore, Eupen's owners are Aspire Academy from Qatar and they'd rather sell him to a high profile club to boost their own brand then let him stay in Belgium for another year. CSKA Moscow and Fenerbahce have been interested for quite a while and are talked about a lot in Belgian media as his possible next destination.

Thanks for the info

How inconsistent is that? Is it more just sporadic games where he's off, or is it a pretty regular occurence? Mane is a player who sprang to mind watching his compilations; I also couldn't help but think of Ibrahima Traore when he's playing well given the gladbach links.

As for the move, I don't think Eberl's ever signed someone who hadn't been tracking & in touch with for a few years prior to the move. :laugh: Usually when the rumors start firming up from BMG's end it's because they're already starting to get somewhere with the financial arrangement. And depending on the kid's focus for his career, the decision between CSKA/Fener & BMG should be no decision for him; one is a premiere club for young starlets to break through with; the others pay higher wages & stagnate the development of a lot of young talent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Melissa Reddy has Liverpool interested in Naby Keita.

Would be very happy about that one but there are obvious challenges with that one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Liverpool is interested so that means he will go to Dortmund

That would be wonderful, Keita and Dahoud. Now lets just add Tielemans, and Rode will never step foot on the field for Dortmund again. :laugh:

I really don't see the Keita fit, if Dahoud has actually signed. We are probably out on Keita, clearing the path for Liverpool.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm down for Keita. I'm still not overly sold on Lallana who I think had a really good run of form but ultimately should be used as a squad player.

Henderson
Keita - Wijnaldum​

That's a nice trio I think. Though I still think we need someone that can properly deputize for Henderson and give Can the boot. Our performances without Henderson this season have been dreadful.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Keita is a magnificent player. I've been following Leipzig's games this season and he's the team's engine in midfield, he's everywhere, really high work rate, extremely intelligent and is talented on top of it. Last place I'd want to see him is at Liverpool, doesn't look like a good fit. Also, the way things are going right now, he'd be playing CL football with Leipzig next season, which he wouldn't at Liverpool.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be interesting to see what happens in Leipzig this summer. If they can resist raiders with their funds, as is expected, and instead add to their backline & midfield; they could be a very fun team to watch in the CL next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought they weren't allowed to play in UCL because Red Bull owns two clubs in the UCL for next season, and you can't own two teams in the same European club competition, so the team thats placed lower in the standings of their league is the team that doesn't compete in the Champions League.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's the Leipzig Keita, right? Good luck buying from them.

Yup. I doubt it happens unless Leipzig misses CL. Liverpool's implosion won't help things either. That being said he would be one of the two perfect midfield signings for them. I'd put Rabiot out there but that ship has sailed, he has no reason to leave PSG now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought they weren't allowed to play in UCL because Red Bull owns two clubs in the UCL for next season, and you can't own two teams in the same European club competition, so the team thats placed lower in the standings of their league is the team that doesn't compete in the Champions League.

I can't imagine UEFA wants RedBull to put this before EU courts any more than the DFB wanted to put the 50+1 rule in front of the European courts. So I'll be shocked if there's any issue with the second best team in German this season playing in the CL...and it's highly unlikely BVB, TSG or anyone else catches RB for second; never mind two teams passing them to push them out of an auto-qualifier spot.

They'll play in the CL. The only questions will be if they can add a young stud CB or if they'll have to settle for Ginter; whether they'll be able to add another stud CM to join Keita & Ilsanker behind Werner, Forsberg, Sabitzer, Poulenc and Burke...preferable one without the ego issues that have pushed Janelt & Toure out of the organization...as I'm skeptical anything will come of the rumors linking them to Amiri; at least not if TSG doesn't implode while Keita is sold; and whether they can avoid raiders to only sell guys who haven't worked out (like Selke).

All in all their pressing and danger on the counter will make them fun in Europe, but that midfield needs more talent around Keita and the back line will be iffy in the middle even if Upamecano has a Tah like breakthrough next season...as their FBs are quite intriguing with Halstenberg locking up the left and Klostermann set to battle Bernardo for the RB position moving forward.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Keita is the sort of player Liverpool should have been trying to sign last summer. Sure, he was already the best player in Austria and in the Red Bull family of teams, but it's easier to buy a player with fewer remaining years on his contract from Salzburg than from Leipzig. I don't know why Liverpool apparently continue to go after Leipzig and Dortmund players either, or in general players who have already made their breakthrough for a good team in a top European league. If Keita moves on now, he will go to a club like PSG or Bayern.

Leipzig will be in the CL next year. Red Bull would sell Salzburg before they turned down Leipzig's automatic CL spot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Keita is beyond our reach I'd like to see us try and grab Tielemans maybe. Apparently the teams sniffing around him are Everton and Tottenham.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They'll play in the CL. The only questions will be if they can add a young stud CB or if they'll have to settle for Ginter; whether they'll be able to add another stud CM to join Keita & Ilsanker behind Werner, Forsberg, Sabitzer, Poulenc and Burke...preferable one without the ego issues that have pushed Janelt & Toure out of the organization...as I'm skeptical anything will come of the rumors linking them to Amiri; at least not if TSG doesn't implode while Keita is sold; and whether they can avoid raiders to only sell guys who haven't worked out (like Selke).

They have that French CB who's name I'm going to butcher, if I try to spell it. He looked pretty good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, Upamecano. Looked pretty decent, when I saw him play, and they spent a lot of money on him. I'd suspect he gets a chance before they bring in another younger CB around his age, although they might bring in a Ginter or someone like that for some depth. I think Upamecano's probably their long-term answer at the position.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Upamecano is just one guy. Orban is very meh and Compper is a liability against teams who are any good. Ginter would be an upgrade for them, but they have the funds & CL-football to offer to get better. And not to get exposed in the CL next season, they're almost certainly going to need better; even if Upamecano has a huge break through campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad