Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
he just confirmed hes staying at United.

Too bad, wouldve been nice to cash in on him

Yeah, I was basing that previous post on reports that his agent is in China to negotiate a move.

I don't mind him staying at all. It's good to have numbers in depth with all the competitions we are in. I reckon we'll see him play a lot against Rostov in the first leg.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Definitely Park as well. Maybe Merino. No one has any clue what's happening with him. There were rumors he might go out on loan in the January window. Mor is another one. What will happen with him? He's barely played this season.

Castro goes instead of Goetze. Goetze has been good. It seems like he might be having a problem with Tuchel, but there's no reason he should leave. He's a definite positive for the team.

Again, the club doesn't sell players after one year barring exceptional circumstances. Rode may be bad/unimpressive enough to merit that, but Merino and Mor definitely aren't. Loan moves if anything.

Neither Castro nor Götze should go. Castro is a very good utility player across many positions as long as he isn't relied upon to run the game in midfield. Götze drama is probably a bit overblown as always. When Tuchel shifts back to an attacking style that is less fast-paced and counter- and dribble-oriented, Götze will again be an important player.

If Tuchel stays (and I have my doubts he will) it must be clear for Götze another season on the bench might happen.
From what I read Klopp likes Götze and vice versa. Not saying it will be Liverpool, but I don't see Götze staying.

Tuchel will also stay. I will be furious if they let him go after two years. And it has been far from a full season on the bench for Götze anyway. He was one of the team's most regular players before the winter break, and has had a couple of injury issues that have kept him from regaining fitness since then. I don't think Tuchel is perfectly happy with him, or that the team's current style suit Götze, but it's an absurd exaggeration of the recent situation of the team to think that the club will have to make a choice between Tuchel and Götze this summer. The media has been happy to continue the narrative of Götze's demise, but let's not forget how often Tuchel changes his strategy over the course of a season. I fully expect Götze to return to relevance.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again, the club doesn't sell players after one year barring exceptional circumstances. Rode may be bad/unimpressive enough to merit that, but Merino and Mor definitely aren't. Loan moves if anything.

Neither Castro nor Götze should go. Castro is a very good utility player across many positions as long as he isn't relied upon to run the game in midfield. Götze drama is probably a bit overblown as always. When Tuchel shifts back to an attacking style that is less fast-paced and counter- and dribble-oriented, Götze will again be an important player.

Tuchel will also stay. I will be furious if they let him go after two years. And it has been far from a full season on the bench for Götze anyway. He was one of the team's most regular players before the winter break, and has had a couple of injury issues that have kept him from regaining fitness since then. I don't think Tuchel is perfectly happy with him, or that the team's current style suit Götze, but it's an absurd exaggeration of the recent situation of the team to think that the club will have to make a choice between Tuchel and Götze this summer. The media has been happy to continue the narrative of Götze's demise, but let's not forget how often Tuchel changes his strategy over the course of a season. I fully expect Götze to return to relevance.

I was suggesting loans for Merino and Mor, not saying they'll leave permanently. What good does it do them or Dortmund to have them not play another season?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Mbappé's sotck has risen apparently (I can't imagine scouts discovered him in that CL game or really it's getting pretty bad), and Bayern, Barca, Real, Tottenham and Arsenal have shown interest.

Not scouts, one would think, but you also have to factor in the influence of people more involved in the business side of things, or like, friends of the owners. Maybe the scouts have been talking about this guy, they've all heard things about him, but now he puts it all on display right in Manchester so there's suddenly all this hype. It's the same as when players shine at the Euro or other big tournament, shouldn't be all that much of a surprise that a global game like that changes teams' approach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It should change some media and some fans' view of the player.
Officials and agents though? Ouch...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not scouts, one would think, but you also have to factor in the influence of people more involved in the business side of things, or like, friends of the owners. Maybe the scouts have been talking about this guy, they've all heard things about him, but now he puts it all on display right in Manchester so there's suddenly all this hype. It's the same as when players shine at the Euro or other big tournament, shouldn't be all that much of a surprise that a global game like that changes teams' approach.

This is probably right. I'm sure all the professional scouts who have been assigned to watch either L1 or him specifically have a pretty good knowledge of him and have reported him to their club. It's a different thing though for the manage/owner who has likely never watched him (or only watched him once or twice) and only read reports to be sitting there as he performs greatly against their club.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hopefully team officials that want to win don't get interested in Mbappé because fans noticed him but because they think he can help them win...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Both :D
Basically, I think Sainté would have signed for half that offer.
Malcuit is a former winger, from Monaco's academy IIRC. He was a quick guy who dazed for short stretches because of that explosiveness.
Couldn't cut it in L1 though because he lacked other offensive weapons, including offensive IQ. Full effort guy, no doubt, and big speed, but that was about it.
So he moved to L2 and at some point was played as RB (and I think I saw him at LB sometimes).
His qualities are clearly a better fit there and he's been good with St Etienne since coming back to L1 (but has only started this year). But I'm still far from convinced he's good enough to face good wingers. St Etienne is a defensive team and he looks better than he is because of the system IMO.
So basically you're signing a 25 year old who has 6 months of L1 experience at RB.

Signing a RB for that much money is questionnable, but given the context is IS insanity.
I'm not sure if Corchia would join West Ham (he has big suitors for years, but hasn't signed anywhere), but he's a much more proven commodity and probably available for the same price.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Both :D
Basically, I think Sainté would have signed for half that offer.
Malcuit is a former winger, from Monaco's academy IIRC. He was a quick guy who dazed for short stretches because of that explosiveness.
Couldn't cut it in L1 though because he lacked other offensive weapons, including offensive IQ. Full effort guy, no doubt, and big speed, but that was about it.
So he moved to L2 and at some point was played as RB (and I think I saw him at LB sometimes).
His qualities are clearly a better fit there and he's been good with St Etienne since coming back to L1 (but has only started this year). But I'm still far from convinced he's good enough to face good wingers. St Etienne is a defensive team and he looks better than he is because of the system IMO.
So basically you're signing a 25 year old who has 6 months of L1 experience at RB.

Signing a RB for that much money is questionnable, but given the context is IS insanity.
I'm not sure if Corchia would join West Ham (he has big suitors for years, but hasn't signed anywhere), but he's a much more proven commodity and probably available for the same price.

How long do you think Corchia stays in France? Seems like he could be a really smart buy for a lot of teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How long do you think Corchia stays in France? Seems like he could be a really smart buy for a lot of teams.

No idea. There have been rumors about him moving to PSG, OM, OL, Bayern and many other teams over the years, but he still hasn't moved from Lille.
Now Lille targets bigger things, so they might hang onto him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BMG sniffing around Henry Onyekuru; read something about a 7M fee being banded about. Can some of our belgian posters comment on this kid? Looks to have some incredibly quick feet & a good nose for goal. I'm wondering if he's more of a Traore successor on the wing, or if he could end up in the center of the attack next to Hazard & Avdijaj/Hagi/etc.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What's happening with Rabiot? Just a way to pressure PSG for a new contract or is he seriously thinking of moving?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Probably tired of being benched in favor of Motta, but I think the last games have shown he can play the 6 with ease and since Motta is leaving next summer, I think it'll go fine.
One thing's for sure, Rabiot has a high opinion of himself (to be fair, he's quite a talent) and thinks he should be starting every game and he's probably frustrated being behind Verratti and Matuidi and until recently Motta.
I think he can be sure to start next year since Motta is leaving and Matuidi might.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks.

Assuming he has actually said anything (I used to live in France, but can't understand much French unfortunately - and I don't trust English media on these kind of things) the timing seems a bit odd. If he isn't playing 1 year from now I would have understood, but as you say he will most likely get more and more minutes in the near future - so why come with this now?

Do you think there might be a chance that some bridges are actually burned with PSG (due to his personality)? And that he will "force" a move even if it is likely PSG will give him more minutes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Frankly, bridges could have been burnt a long time ago. He had some tensions with Laurent Blanc, and his mother (also his agent) is quite a pain.
Don't think he'll force a move out since El Khelaifi will gently give him a huge extension and he'll be a starter from next summer on.

That said, if Barca puts 70M€ on the table and Rabiot wants out, who knows?
But the guy's ambitious and he won't sign on a lesser team than PSG.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
OK. No-one can know of course, but I value your input. Sounds most likely to me as well even if I don't know much about Rabiot's personality and situation behind the scene at PSG myself.

Only if he desperately wants out and the handful teams that are bigger than PSG show no interested could I see him making a move to London (recently been linked to Arsenal and Spurs - whatever a "link" means these days).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Frankly I have a hard time seeing him sign with Spurs or Gunners. No harm intended, but I think he targets a top 5 team in Europe. Like he should because he belongs there.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
BMG sniffing around Henry Onyekuru; read something about a 7M fee being banded about. Can some of our belgian posters comment on this kid? Looks to have some incredibly quick feet & a good nose for goal. I'm wondering if he's more of a Traore successor on the wing, or if he could end up in the center of the attack next to Hazard & Avdijaj/Hagi/etc.

He's been a bit of a sensation in the Belgian league this season, although since December he's slowed down a bit. Had his mind set on a transfer but the owners want to wait till the end of the season to negotiate, and he's been somewhat surly since then. But he's also one of the main reasons why a very small club like Eupen will not be relegated this year.

While he's still a bit small and fragile, he's been a nightmare for a lot of defences this year. As you said, he's got very quick feet and he can score. His dribbling skills can be amazing to watch one game but then the next game it seems like he's fighting the ball so that needs some work. He usually plays left wing at Eupen but he can probably play any forward position. Sometimes he reminds me of Mane. He just needs to grow stronger. But the basics are there, it would surprise me if he didn't at least became a solid player in a top league.

However, if you want to sign him, get in line. Most pundits over here say he should move to a Belgian top club in the summer, and then make a big move next year if he continues to impress. But there are so many rumours that he will probably go abroad as fast as he can. Furthermore, Eupen's owners are Aspire Academy from Qatar and they'd rather sell him to a high profile club to boost their own brand then let him stay in Belgium for another year. CSKA Moscow and Fenerbahce have been interested for quite a while and are talked about a lot in Belgian media as his possible next destination.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Frankly I have a hard time seeing him sign with Spurs or Gunners. No harm intended, but I think he targets a top 5 team in Europe. Like he should because he belongs there.

I don't disagree. But what does he do if RM, Barcelona, BM etc. aren't interested? I agree with you I think he will stay at PSG. It was his comments that made me a bit curious.

I don't think it is given that bigger clubs than PSG are, at the moment, desperate to sign Rabiot. He is good with a lot of potential, but if any of the big ones really want to spend on a young midfield player in the summer Saul, Verratti and maybe a guy like Tielemans will be hunted first (guessing Verratti won't be sold regardless and Saul's price tag will of course be far higher than Rabiot).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think he's not far from Verratti because he brings more in the finishing part. PSG will happily keep him, but I'd say a team like Barca would be interested in Verratti and him. Bayern might be interested too. And then both Manchester clubs. Juventus too.
Rabiot's among the very best young CMs in the game, in fact young or not.
It's just a matter of unleashing him and his playing time. When you see his performance against Barca this year or Real last year, it's quite telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad