Transfer: Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion - October-December

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Buying a 21 year old? The previous mistakes have been buying older players and never giving young players a chance. If we're going to use our scouting and resources to collect players under 23, I'm all for it.

Strange transfer to claim we're doing the same thing on when that is clearly not the case.
I don’t see any difference whatsoever. Paying a ton on external players, pushing the internal players down the depth chart/churning and burning them. It’s not different just because you are buying someone is younger and Chelsea are still getting old players like Koulibaly and Aubameyang. It’s the same Chelsea just throwing money around.

I have disdain for low iq footballers, if he has that issue then he probably won’t make it as CB
In addition to that I am not impressed by his pace.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don’t see any difference whatsoever. Paying a ton on external players, pushing the internal players down the depth chart/churning and burning them. It’s not different just because you are buying someone is younger and Chelsea are still getting old players like Koulibaly and Aubameyang. It’s the same Chelsea just throwing money around.
Again, previous owner, management, and coaches. You'd think you'd know that but can't seem to follow along.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Both Todd signings
Koulibaly happened when all of Abramovich's people were still running the club, and Aubameyang was Tuchel's decision when they were letting him make decisions during the transition. It's more like billionaire didn't care about spending that money and it doesn't reflect the philosophy of anyone he has actually hired this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Koulibaly happened when all of Abramovich's people were still running the club, and Aubameyang was Tuchel's decision when they were letting him make decisions during the transition. It's more like billionaire didn't care about spending that money and it doesn't reflect the philosophy of anyone he has actually hired this season.
Right. So same Chelsea until proven otherwise

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Right. So same Chelsea until proven otherwise
This window we have bought an 18 year old, 20 year old, and 21 year old. Our biggest money deal is on pursuing another 21 year old. All of these are apparently driven by advanced stats and as a good fit for Potter's football philosophy. Odd that anyone would think this is the "same Chelsea".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have disdain for low iq footballers, if he has that issue then he probably won’t make it as CB
I would say that a 21 year old with 100+ starts in L1 already "made" it.
It's a matter of how high he can play, and he will be solid BUT his IQ could be a problem in certain situations.
Coaching could help.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This window we have bought an 18 year old, 20 year old, and 21 year old. Our biggest money deal is on pursuing another 21 year old. All of these are apparently driven by advanced stats and as a good fit for Potter's football philosophy. Odd that anyone would think this is the "same Chelsea".
I’m not having that until there is any evidence of having that. Advanced stats driving transfers is not unique to Chelsea and Chelsea need to prove they are sticking with Potter enough for his philosophy to matter. none of their signings except Cucurella scream Potter philosoph/anything unique to Potter. That’s just flowery Language they feed the fans. Unless you want to describe Potters
philosophy using words that don’t apply to 80% of the other teams. It’s like horoscope language.

I don’t know why Chelsea fans find It hard to admit the only thing special about the in their money. The only consistent is they spend A lot of it, and they are not even that good at it. usually they just fall upwards because they can buy their way out of their errors

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I’m not having that until there is any evidence of having that. Advanced stats driving transfers is not unique to Chelsea and Chelsea need to prove they are sticking with Potter enough for his philosophy to matter. none of their signings except Cucurella scream Potter philosoph/anything unique to Potter. That’s just flowery Language they feed the fans. Unless you want to describe Potters
philosophy using words that don’t apply to 80% of the other teams. It’s like horoscope language.

I don’t know why Chelsea fans find It hard to admit the only thing special about the in their money. The only consistent is they spend A lot of it, and they are not even that good at it. usually they just fall upwards because they can buy their way out of their errors
This is a bunch of nonsense.

I never said advanced stats driving transfers is unique to Chelsea, just that we weren't doing that before and represents a change. You claimed we haven't changed, which is blatantly untrue. You don't seem to know how we made transfer decisions before so can't recognize when things have changed. It's not like there is some inherent characteristic of Chelsea's identity that sets the decision making, it's based on the personnel involved which has almost entirely been turned over since the fall. It makes no sense to claim that a complete change in personnel would result in zero changes in philosophy, when has that ever been the case in the history of sports?

I never once claimed the money hasn't been a big benefit, that's a strawman. You're not even honestly engaged in this conversation, you're just arguing against your own perceptions instead of anything I have said.

Reactions: Peen

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would say that a 21 year old with 100+ starts in L1 already "made" it.
It's a matter of how high he can play, and he will be solid BUT his IQ could be a problem in certain situations.
Coaching could help.
Depends on what you mean by made it. He's clearly a footballer playing top level. Would he justify that fee? Coaching could help mitigate his issues. Im just saying 38 million on a player with that big of a weakness doesn't seem smart.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is a bunch of nonsense.

I never said advanced stats driving transfers is unique to Chelsea, just that we weren't doing that before and represents a change. You claimed we haven't changed, which is blatantly untrue. You don't seem to know how we made transfer decisions before so can't recognize when things have changed. It's not like there is some inherent characteristic of Chelsea's identity that sets the decision making, it's based on the personnel involved which has almost entirely been turned over since the fall. It makes no sense to claim that a complete change in personnel would result in zero changes in philosophy, when has that ever been the case in the history of sports?

I never once claimed the money hasn't been a big benefit, that's a strawman. You're not even honestly engaged in this conversation, you're just arguing against your own perceptions instead of anything I have said.
Every transfer is based on advanced stats. Its disingenuous to say they are only using it now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Depends on what you mean by made it. He's clearly a footballer playing top level. Would he justify that fee? Coaching could help mitigate his issues. Im just saying 38 million on a player with that big of a weakness doesn't seem smart.
In terms of price, it depends if the buying club feels he's coachable in order to progress.
If he does, given his potential, then 40M is very very fine.
If they feel he's a finished product, then by no means would I put 40M on him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hell freezes over before you could imagine a world without FC Barcelona. Immediately rendering your twitter guy a shit source.
Shit source is an understatement for instance this gem of a tweet

He’s “pro information” and yet thinks Bart is still in charge. A simple google search would have told him otherwise.

Reactions: luiginb

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He wasn’t in fact bart hasn’t been in charges for over 2 years now.
Balls didn’t realize it was that long. It’s been a real weird year. :laugh:

That guy is generally a good follow. He’s not perfect but pretty unbiased and tries to break down complex ideas (like the Barca situation). Issue is that he’s not good at not including his opinion but he is generally pretty good at disclosing what is his opinion. This thread was a bit unhinged when it happened though.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

That guy is generally a good follow. He’s not perfect but pretty unbiased and tries to break down complex ideas (like the Barca situation). Issue is that he’s not good at not including his opinion but he is generally pretty good at disclosing what is his opinion. This thread was a bit unhinged when it happened though.
He doesn't know who the president is of a top 10 club in the world. If that's a good follow ...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

This is the first I've heard of him and if he's making outrageous claims like Barca won't exist in a few years or simple mistakes as the Bart one, colour me unimpressed. Everything regarding barca and their finances coming from the EPL is unhinged. From Neville to the Athletic sources to this clown. It seems as though they really would like to see barca disappear and its clouding their judgment on things.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is the first I've heard of him and if he's making outrageous claims like Barca won't exist in a few years or simple mistakes as the Bart one, colour me unimpressed. Everything regarding barca and their finances coming from the EPL is unhinged. From Neville to the Athletic sources to this clown. It seems as though they really would like to see barca disappear and its clouding their judgment on things.
Yeah definitely. I think it’s just such a weird situation with Barca that everyone’s trying to make sense of it. Lots of those PL guys are trying to claim how it could benefit the PL without really getting all of the facts straight.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad