OT: Winter Olympics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Was Mrazek expected to make the Czech (or Slovak?) team?

Thought he might get a chance at the three spot, but I think they have a flat out open competition so the KHL guys are going to duke it out with Pavelec. If they had a known starter, maybe they bring him to get an Olympic feeling, because he does look like their long-term stater. Quite frankly the kid in Nashville probably should have gone over one of the KHL guys.

The Czech team really has the most curious selections across the board, whether it be players that don't get along with the coach, the selection of his own son in law (I think that is the case or some relation) to some of the older guys they brought. Heck it might work out great, but right now I have the feeling they are about to get absolutely pounded.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty clear the Detroit brain-trust and coach still has a thing for Rick Nash. Wish they had a thing for Jeff Carter when he was on his way out of Columbus.

Nash is the only guy I firmly believe doesn't belong on Team Canada.

Think a lot of people have forgotten that Kunitz played with Getzlaf before his move to Pittsburgh and is quite familiar with three of the other forwards up front.

Who is the best Canadian scorer ever in big ice tournaments?

Yeah, it's Rick Nash.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Who is the best Canadian scorer ever in big ice tournaments?

Yeah, it's Rick Nash.

Are we talking a single tournament there? If so in any case hasn't been that great since 07-08. Since that point he has had two mediocre WC and two pretty terrible playoff runs.

Rick Nash's three big runs in WC at no point did he lead the team in scoring.

By the way this distinction belongs to Heatley really but obviously his game has fallen completely apart. However, Nash's game has fallen off enough it should be concerning.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Sweden will probably be playing with Kronwall - Ericsson at D. Is that Detroits first pairing? How do you rank their season so far?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Ericsson is injured right now so it's Kronwall-Smith, but yes Kronwall-E is usually the first pairing. They work well together and it's normally the only pairing on the team worth a damn, so I'd say it's good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Are we talking a single tournament there? If so in any case hasn't been that great since 07-08. Since that point he has had two mediocre WC and two pretty terrible playoff runs.

Rick Nash's three big runs in WC at no point did he lead the team in scoring.

By the way this distinction belongs to Heatley really but obviously his game has fallen completely apart. However, Nash's game has fallen off enough it should be concerning.

Watched last Rangers game yesterday and he scored twice and was nothing but great. :dunno:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden will probably be playing with Kronwall - Ericsson at D. Is that Detroits first pairing? How do you rank their season so far?

Kronwall is having a career year when you consider his play at both sides of the puck, imo. Ericsson is starting to hit his prime. Both play kinda conservative, trying to keep it simple this year. Something I hope they'll do at the Olympics aswell. Their collective upside isn't the greatest out there, but it's a steady pairing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Watched last Rangers game yesterday and he scored twice and was nothing but great. :dunno:

watch the last 27 and you see what TZE is talking about. or even go back to the playoffs.

but yes, he is babcock type player, good track record and the thing that he was pretty good in checking role in vancouver, probably sealed the deal for him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I suspect this years Olympic hockey won't be as exciting as 2010. Team USA just doesn't look very intimidating. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but Canada should dominate.

The amount of talent Team Canada possesses on and off the ice is scary.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I suspect this years Olympic hockey won't be as exciting as 2010. Team USA just doesn't look very intimidating. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but Canada should dominate.

The amount of talent Team Canada possesses on and off the ice is scary.

:naughty:

Goaltending, though...

crashman

What kinda irks me is that J-Bo is apparently good enough for the team Canada roster, which Holland and Babcoack both have a say in the selection of, but they didn't think enough of him to outbid St. Louis to get him. We still desperately need a player like J-Bo in Detroit, but instead we have Quincey.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
What kinda irks me is that J-Bo is apparently good enough for the team Canada roster, which Holland and Babcoack both have a say in the selection of, but they didn't think enough of him to outbid St. Louis to get him. We still desperately need a player like J-Bo in Detroit, but instead we have Quincey.

The (rumoured) cost would have been Sheahan+Jurco+ 2013 2nd (Nastasiuk) if Calgary had accepted the offer, if KH outbid St. Louis Jaybo would (again allegedly) cost Jurco+Sheahan+1st (Mantha)

Jaybo is good and I'd like him on the team but I don't think I'd give up our 2 best forward prospects and Sheahan (still promising for a bottom 6 role) for Jaybo when he had a massive caphit and was performing poorly in Calgary.

Aug 6, 2012
Its not that big of a deal. Give him the rest of the year in GR as the go-to-guy then bring him up next year. Don't understand why everyone wants him up immediately. He's still got lots to work on and improve.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hate to defend Holland. But he really had no choice but to send Jurco down when he has waiver options. It's a mess he made. Being unwilling to cut players like Sammy and Cleary etc..

crashman

The (rumoured) cost would have been Sheahan+Jurco+ 2013 2nd (Nastasiuk) if Calgary had accepted the offer, if KH outbid St. Louis Jaybo would (again allegedly) cost Jurco+Sheahan+1st (Mantha)

Jaybo is good and I'd like him on the team but I don't think I'd give up our 2 best forward prospects and Sheahan (still promising for a bottom 6 role) for Jaybo when he had a massive caphit and was performing poorly in Calgary.

I wouldn't give up Jurco and a 1st either, but I still think we could have bested what Calgary got from St. Louis without sacrificing the future of the team. It's all water under the bridge at this point. I'm just frustrated with our defensive corps at the moment. I know Holland has tried to acquire players (Edler, Jaybo, Suter) but he just hasn't got it done. Every move he's made or didn't make recently with trades and FAs has been terrible, except for DeKeyser and Alfie.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5m
Stick taps at start of #RedWings practice as Mike Babcock reads off team's Olympians (nine, plus Jurco in minors).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't give up Jurco and a 1st either, but I still think we could have bested what Calgary got from St. Louis without sacrificing the future of the team. It's all water under the bridge at this point. I'm just frustrated with our defensive corps at the moment. I know Holland has tried to acquire players (Edler, Jaybo, Suter) but he just hasn't got it done. Every move he's made or didn't make recently with trades and FAs has been terrible, except for DeKeyser and Alfie.

So you would have bested it by doing what, improving an offer by pulling a guy that wasn't even enough?

They wanted a first and they wanted a goalie prospect. If McCollum had looked like he does this year maybe we could have got him still doubt it, basically they wanted Mrazek and first on the table. The first and a goalie prospect near NHL ready was a sticking point, I don't know that they don't still demand Sheahan/Jurco at that point.

They were very high on the goalie they got. This reminds me of the I would have traded for Brent Burns and on and on and on. I don't think you're taking a realistic look at how hard it is to get another team to the table, you would have landed JayBo without Jurco, interesting.....

On the he can make his Olympic team and not the NHL team, while I agree I would like to see him up and the contracts are playing a factor this statement doesn't really hammer home a point. Slovakia has 7 other forwards that probably couldn't make the Wings not including Jurco.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

That 1st might not have been Mantha though. With Jbow we might have beat chicago. I think our offer was bett the the blues anyway though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad