OT: Winter Olympics 2014

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I saw the highlight of yesterday's game against Caps

I'm happy for Nyquist to make the team but he better buy his linemates especially Z very nice presents.

Also Z and Gus should play together in Sochi to maximize both's ability. They compliment each very well.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I had no idea Jimmie Ericsson was our ericssons brother. Hopefully Gus plays well for the rest of the games and almost coaches team Sweden coach to give him an opportunity right away

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Silfverberg has been very cold lately and also scratched. Jimmie Ericsson is a 13th forward, the Dan Cleary of team Sweden(hopefully not falling down as often). Nyquist has a chance to play a regular shift from the get-go.

It would be nice if he does.

His confidence is sky-high right now.

If he gets to play for his home country and does well, that would be a huge lift. Maybe comes back and keeps riding the momentum.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I had no idea Jimmie Ericsson was our ericssons brother. Hopefully Gus plays well for the rest of the games and almost coaches team Sweden coach to give him an opportunity right away

jimmie is good for 3rd line in nhl. he is big, fast and physical. good defence and offence.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Russia's first game is February 13th.

Detroit's last game before the Olympic break is February 8th.

I am going to be very interested to see how Datsyuk looks if he doesn't play another NHL game before the break, but suits up for Russia on the 13th.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I am going to be very interested to see how Datsyuk looks if he doesn't play another NHL game before the break, but suits up for Russia on the 13th.

While the situations aren't identical, the majority of Wings fans had no issues with Yzerman when he played hurt for team Canada in '02, even though he didn't play much, if at all, after the Olympics. I'm trying really hard not to be hypocritical here, obviously if the Wings didn't win the cup that year things might have been received differently.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
While the situations aren't identical, the majority of Wings fans had no issues with Yzerman when he played hurt for team Canada in '02, even though he didn't play much, if at all, after the Olympics. I'm trying really hard not to be hypocritical here, obviously if the Wings didn't win the cup that year things might have been received differently.

Detroit was leading the league in points at that time. Yzerman could afford to take break.

Brandel*

jimmie is good for 3rd line in nhl. he is big, fast and physical. good defence and offence.

didnt his brother say that he could never make it out of europe because of his poor work ethic? (which i thought was a pretty rude thing to say lol)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
didnt his brother say that he could never make it out of europe because of his poor work ethic? (which i thought was a pretty rude thing to say lol)

Probably more in regards to his early days. Jimmie played tier 2 hockey until he was 25, and became a really good SHL player at 30. And now he's about to turn 34.. pretty much game over if you wanna carve out a career somewhere else.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

If he really is day-to-day, those five days can really be the difference. Or if he doesn't play all the games at the tournament, like skips the preliminary round, he will get almost week extra healing time.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't know if hockey fans in Sweden get to follow Zetterberg (and the Red Wings) as closely as we do in Michigan. I was a little nervous about Zetterberg taking over for Lidstrom when he did so last season. If Swedish fans have any doubt about Zetterberg captaining the Swedish Olympic men's hockey team, then they should not worry at all. He has really matured into a great leader.

There are so many young players on the Wings this season, and with Datsyuk out and Howard's rough start, the situation regarding wins and losses could certainly be much worse if not for Zetterberg. I expect that Sweden will perform especially well with him as captain.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Really? I thought zetterberg was a given for captain after lidstrom left.
I'm gonna try to be keeping up with us, canada, sweden, and russia games. It's gonna be hectic.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Really? I thought zetterberg was a given for captain after lidstrom left.
I'm gonna try to be keeping up with us, canada, sweden, and russia games. It's gonna be hectic.

I thought Zetterberg would most likely be the captain after Lidstrom retired, but I felt, and I still partially feel, that Datsyuk was more deserving if only he were able to communicate a little better with his teammates. English, which is the common language of the team, seems much harder for Russians than for Swedes. Anyway, at this point, I feel like Zetterberg is every bit as good and deserving of captain as Datsyuk.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
No Czech Republic? No Slovakia?

I'll definitely be watching those after I've caught up on the others, but those 4 are top priority. I'm gonna watch every game I'm able to obviously, but there are unfortunately gonna be some I just can't do.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not to mention we had enough talent in our lineup where Yzerman wasn't missed nearly as much as Datsyuk is now for todays Wings.

Yeah, when Yzerman was missed we still had Fedorov-Datsyuk-Larionov-Draper center core...

And finally that core was used also at the playoffs, because of Stevie's injury that affected to his skating and because Datsyuk looked so promising to play with Brett Hull. Yzerman played wing alongside Fedorov.

No wonder that deep team wins a Cup.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
rik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 2 min
#tblightning star Steven Stamkos has not been medically cleared to return this weekend, will not participate in Olympics

As rough as it probably is for him, I'm glad we won't have to face him on Saturday and that the US won't have to face him in Sochi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad