OT: Winter Olympics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
It would be great for the wings confidence for them to win without a doubt. Can't really see this one going wrong either way.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
so foolish

Have you not watched these olympics... honestly though, did you not just see what happened to Russia or Finland?

Not even comparable. The depth of talent that Canada has ***** on Russia and Finland.

Canada left d men off their team that are better than the best defenseman on Russia or Finland.

If Bylsma switched places with Babcock, both teams would still be in the same place.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
so foolish

Have you not watched these olympics... honestly though, did you not just see what happened to Russia or Finland?

Russia doesn't have the talent and has terrible coaching. Compare Russia's defensive squad with Canada's. It's not even close and it's definitely not fair. Doughty, Keith, Weber vs... who? Even their offense doesn't match up after the top6.

Finland is scrappy (with a couple absolutely amazing goalies), but ultimately no one has the talent that Canada has.

You know what I do like about Babcock coaching the Canada team? It has shown fans of other teams that he is far from the perfect coach that everyone thinks he is because of his reputation. People have called into question his lineup decision, notably Kunitz. The dude is weird. He makes a lot of weird decisions. He's pretty lucky he has the most talented hockey team in the tournament to bail him out though.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Russia doesn't have the talent and has terrible coaching. Compare Russia's defensive squad with Canada's. It's not even close and it's definitely not fair. Doughty, Keith, Weber vs... who? Even their offense doesn't match up after the top6.

Russia has some decent individual talents, the problem is just most of them aren't team players. It's not really talent they're lacking, it's teamwork.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Russia has some decent individual talents, the problem is just most of them aren't team players. It's not really talent they're lacking, it's teamwork.

Their decent individual talent severely drops off after the top6. Compare them to Canada, the depth isn't comparable. Canada is NHL all-stars through and through. Russia is top-heavy and then just not as competitive. They are good throughout, just not good enough. And yeah obviously teamwork isn't there either.

Brandel*

edit: @Flowah

I'm not comparing Russia to Canada. I'm comparing Russia to Finland and the difference made by coaching. Keep that difference in mind when you compare Canada to Sweden or USA. Team Canada isn't some unstoppable force... I truly don't understand this, they went from being an underdog (just as many people thought US would win) to being some juggernaut team that doesn't even need a coaching staff at all after beating US 1-0...? People that think the difference from some random guy coaching and a professional is minute make me laugh.

Kunitz has actually gotten praised lately, people are after Babcock for not playing Subban too yet this is considered the best defensive team of all time. Does that mean he made the wrong decision? If Canada wins tomorrow people will still complain about how Babcock didn't play Subban. It's how it is in Canada. I'm sure people were upset about his roster decisions in 2010 too. Just because some people are upset with his decisions at the time doesn't mean anything. Babcock's reputation has not decreased in the slightest.

Your anti-Babcock bias is really showing. Those are some pretty ****ing bold statements (more like guesses) that in reality you have no clue about. Canada bailing Babcock out lol. Or Babcock is bailing Canada out? Canada was extremely technically sound vs the US, but I guess that's all on the players as well. The same players that were having trouble with Norway in the opening game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
You can't put all of canada's success on babcock, keep in mind they do have some of the best players in the world.
And I'm sure he's not too bothered by people thinking he's a bad coach what with him being the only coach in the triple gold club, and all. And I'm sure the players he's coached don't have many complaints either.

Canada just has a great balance of a good coach and incredible talent. It's not just one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad