OT: Winter Olympics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
I doubt that it's any different from last time. Hard to leave Kunitz off while him and Crosby have been so good together. The Carter decision is strange though.

Could it be character issues? I don't know enough about Jeff Carter to say for certain, but I do know the teams aren't necessarily the best overall teams they could be.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I doubt that it's any different from last time. Hard to leave Kunitz off while him and Crosby have been so good together. The Carter decision is strange though.

Kunitz won 2 cups and Crosby is not the only one he played well with. I'm surprised Wings fans dont remember that.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Anyone else a little surprised that Z got the "C" for Team Sweden over Alfie?

Still excited about it though, I've always wanted a Team Sweden Zetterberg jersey so I'll probably get one now that he'll be captain.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Still excited about it though, I've always wanted a Team Sweden Zetterberg jersey so I'll probably get one now that he'll be captain.

No. Z is a much better leader. He's also a bigger deal.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I just seen a piece on CBC maybe where St. Louis was talking about the disappointment of not making 2010 and how it seemed like this could be the year... Have to feel for the guy. Kind of awkward for both he and Yzerman.

Semin not making Russia is shocking. I'm hoping the young kid from Dallas gets his place in the top 6 though. His puck protection is really impressive for his age.

Good for E making Sweden and nice to see Z get the "C" and Kronwall get an "A".

And although not Olympic related, Datsyuk tweeted a pic of him, Marchenko, some other dude, and BizNasty out to dinner in Phoenix lol. How is he randomly friends with the enforcers of the league? Obviously he was friends with Boogaard as well.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Not at all. I was almost sure he would be the Captain. I am happy to have been right.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm glad the Slovaks included Jurco. After Canada and Sweden, I'll prolly be pulling for the Slovaks with Tomas and Tomas. The Slovaks have 6 forwards named Tomas, this could get confusing.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

maybe a little obviously Sweden made a right choice. Sweden was my sleeper pick for gold this year, looking more likely with Z being the captain.

of course, Russia on home ice will be really dangerous and motivated with all the events going on their country past few years. I think it's safe to say they are the number 1 pick at this point more or less.

Europeans are favored in this tourney because I feel they are better at utilizing bigger ice on many different levels. I think NA hockey is more about jostling for position and European hockey can be bit like a soccer where getting inside position and getting players off position is really important. So Canada and US have a tough road ahead of them. Still, Canadian hockey, if they ever clicked and D pays special attention to space they are defending, is unmatched by any country. US can surprise with teamwork but they will need few players stepping up their game significantly.

This olympic is going to be really interesting to watch.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
sedin-sedin-eriksson
zett-bäcks-landy/steen

that's how i see the top 6.

I think many would be surprised of how highly Franzen is looked upon in Sweden, and the coaching staff. Can promise he's never floated with the 3K on his chest. He'll definitely play with Z imo, probably a 16-17 minute role overall.

And although not Olympic related, Datsyuk tweeted a pic of him, Marchenko, some other dude, and BizNasty out to dinner in Phoenix lol. How is he randomly friends with the enforcers of the league? Obviously he was friends with Boogaard as well.

Some guy from saucehockey was there with them. Probably arranged.

Johnz96*

42 yr old Petr Nedved selected to the Czech team, He wasn't even good when he left the NHL a decade ago.
They're gonna get killed.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
DETROIT – As expected, the Red Wings will have a strong presence at the Sochi Olympics next month with 10 players, a head coach and general manager scattered among five national teams.

But it’s the Swedish team that will have the biggest Detroit congregation led by captain Henrik Zetterberg, forward Daniel Alfredsson and defenseman Niklas Kronwall. All three were members of Tre Kroner’s gold-medal win at the Turin Games in 2006.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=699471&navid=DL|DET|home

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
One thing that MÃ¥rts got right is the letters. Zetterberg should be Captain for Sweden, and why not Kronwall for an A, its not first tournament for Sweden this, and he is a great teammate. Henrik Sedin for the other A seems about right as well.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Loved the tidbit from the coach saying that Franzen probably doesn't even know where his phone is, you always have to go through his wife first to contact him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Babs is the coach and was involved in the selection process. He likes 'heavy' players

That and Carter is actually a great player and goal scorer. They obviously wanted more scoring punch than another playmaker in the ilk of Giroux. Carter has a career .41 goals per game. Compare that with Rick Nash, who is a .43. The difference is negligible but people certainly don't act like it is.

As a fan of USA hockey, I think the Canadian roster is extremely well balanced and going to be a nightmare.

I could quibble over a few picks here and there, but that's what happens when you're going to leave off players that would easily make other teams.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pretty clear the Detroit brain-trust and coach still has a thing for Rick Nash. Wish they had a thing for Jeff Carter when he was on his way out of Columbus.

Nash is the only guy I firmly believe doesn't belong on Team Canada.

Think a lot of people have forgotten that Kunitz played with Getzlaf before his move to Pittsburgh and is quite familiar with three of the other forwards up front.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I just seen a piece on CBC maybe where St. Louis was talking about the disappointment of not making 2010 and how it seemed like this could be the year... Have to feel for the guy. Kind of awkward for both he and Yzerman.

Semin not making Russia is shocking. I'm hoping the young kid from Dallas gets his place in the top 6 though. His puck protection is really impressive for his age.

Good for E making Sweden and nice to see Z get the "C" and Kronwall get an "A".

My guess is that they've participated with his summer camp perhaps. Just guessing though.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I wondered if maybe Henrik Sedin would get it.

cjspencer

Sep 30, 2010
excited to see what jurco and tatar do in the olympics, if they make some noise there's no way babcock can continue to limit their ice time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad