Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It depends on what they would want in a fee.

If Klopp came and said he wanted the player, I think something is possible.

As for Spurs not selling in England, that's a bunch of crap. They'll sell if a bigger club comes in, and if they pay the money that makes it worth them selling. They certainly have preferred locations, but if the money is right, they're going to sell just like everyone else.

I can't see anyway that Liverpool could afford the cost both wages and fee. Alderweireld is much better than VVD so he isn't coming cheap.

I think if they sell in England it will be for a premium price that only United, City or Chelsea (maybe not anymore?) could afford.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Having a wage cap for a club as big as Tottenham is frustrating for everybody involved. The fans, the players, the management, etc.

It is slightly frustrating but if they keep getting the results that they have then I think it is better than overextending themselves and going into a multi fall because they can't afford anyone.

I think if we see the team clearly fall behind the other top 6 clubs then perhaps the frustration will start to mount but as of now we have lost "big" players before and had no problem continuing on.

I think if this was last year I would have been really pissed to be losing Alderweireld but with the emergence of Sanchez, improved play of Vertongen and Toby's injuries/slight drop in play I think we are much better to handle it now than we were then.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
As for Spurs not selling in England, that's a bunch of crap. They'll sell if a bigger club comes in, and if they pay the money that makes it worth them selling. They certainly have preferred locations, but if the money is right, they're going to sell just like everyone else.

A few years ago I may have agreed with you.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It depends on what they would want in a fee.

If Klopp came and said he wanted the player, I think something is possible.

Too much wages for Liverpool.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think FSG are more than willing to spend if they need to. 'Too much' is nonsense at this point. If Klopp wants the player we'll get them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
A few years ago I may have agreed with you.
Maybe.

But I think they're not in a financial situation where they can just tell a player go sit in the stands or play for the youth team. Note, I don't think that's where this one ends, bu they have to maximize their assets and get every ounce of their profit from each move they make.

they can make a few mistakes, but until their new stadium is cranking out the revenues, and until they're certain to keep CL each season, they're not on the same financial standing with most of the rest of the top 6 challengers.

They don't have the advertising, shirt/kit and summer trip revenues that the rest of the top 6 can command.

I also think their chairman, for right or wrong, while he might not want to sell to another EPL team (mainly so he can stick it in Arsenal's face, and that's it) believes he can replace whomever. If a top bid comes in for him, and it's from City or United, they're going to take it. If they could get him to Spain and just take a little less, or convince the player to do it, they'll try, but it's not that clear.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Too much wages for Liverpool.
I think it's less about the wages. I think it's more about giving a top rival a fee for a player of his age. He's going to be 29 soon.

FSG, while they're not as bad as the 'money ball' accusations, really would have a problem in shelling out top dollar for a player who maybe gets them a couple of seasons and has limited resell price.

VVD's deal is massive partially because they could have the player for 6-8 seasons. They also feel, whether right or wrong, that he could still have some upside even at that price.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's less about the wages. I think it's more about giving a top rival a fee for a player of his age. He's going to be 29 soon.

FSG, while they're not as bad as the 'money ball' accusations, really would have a problem in shelling out top dollar for a player who maybe gets them a couple of seasons and has limited resell price.

VVD's deal is massive partially because they could have the player for 6-8 seasons. They also feel, whether right or wrong, that he could still have some upside even at that price.
It’s both. The only time FSG signed an outfield player that age or higher was Lambert. Toure and Klavan were signed at 4th choice CB for a few quid but it would be pretty unprecedented for them to make a signing like Alderweireld. Not that I’d hate that.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
A couple trash outlets have Chelsea as odds-on favourites to sign Marcus Rashford. I'd be very okay with that signing.

Also, if Bale comes back to the EPL, it's either to United or Chelsea I think. I'd take him at Chelsea, despite his injuries, because I love the way he plays, but I'd bet he goes to United.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I actually believe he'll be sold in England as well. Probably to Man United.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Mourinho go after someone like him.

Mourinho has said he doesn't want/need more attackers, so defense is going to be a priority in the summer. They need at least 1 starting CB, 2 if you think you can't count on Bailly being healthy. Alderwiereld is a solid option and although he's not young, would bring stability to the backline.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Martial could replace Batshuayi if he doesn't return to the club after the end of his loan. We could give him a starting spot, and likely plenty of goals at his preferred position.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I could definitely see PSG wanting Martial and I think he'd do great in a real system.

He's definitely got flaws, but he's still young and has a ton of potential.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How will PSG be a fit for Martial? Neymar plays his position.

I see Spurs, Arsenal, Bayern and Inter being the best fits. If Woodward chooses to sell is another question.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Martial is overhyped, but even so if he wants to leave United because he doesn't have a secure first XI spot, why would he go somewhere like PSG? If anything he'll move somewhere that could guarantee him a starting spot, no?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Is Alban Lafont any good? He said he'd like to sign with Arsenal and we desperately need a young keeper.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Is Alban Lafont any good? He said he'd like to sign with Arsenal and we desperately need a young keeper.

I haven't watched a ton of Toulouse games, but the games I watched he was very solid. If Arsenal could sign him and Issa Diop from Toulouse, that would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad