Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Could understand with Gaitan and Torres but wtf would Carrasco move to China?
Simeoneball.

He has had a poor season. He has lost Simeone's trust completely with his poor effort running without the ball. He had a high release clause and maybe Atletico didn't want to make EPL clubs think they could buy their players for under their release clauses? Still time for him to go back to Europe in a few years I guess.

That makes sense for Atleti plus its more $$ in China. If i'm a hotshot young prospect I'd avoid Simeone like the plague.

Cat radio is saying Griezmann has reached an agreement with Barcelona. They will pay the 100 million clause in the summer.

Please no.

Atletico building a 250 million warchest to go buy Insigne, Fekir, Lautaro, and Lucas Torreira. Hold onto your butts.

I hope not but I read his Inter move is not finalized still... from his own words. The worst part about Argentines the past year is the amount of time they drag on. Weird I don't think this way a thing prior to this year.

What would be hilarious( in the sort of dark/twisted humour) is if indeed Martinez does go to Inter only for Simeone to follow him there. That would be fitting and would be my dumb luck.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Gaitan and Carrasco China bound Torres might be joining them.

they probably end up 150+ million from them. Would be interesting who they replace these guys with.

Atletico building a 250 million warchest to go buy Insigne, Fekir, Lautaro, and Lucas Torreira. Hold onto your butts.

FFS. These Chinese clubs. Gaitan? Anyway, we'll see who Atleti bring in. That could be too much change and you've still got the Simeone problem.

Could understand with Gaitan and Torres but wtf would Carrasco move to China?

He has had a poor season. He has lost Simeone's trust completely with his poor effort running without the ball. He had a high release clause and maybe Atletico didn't want to make EPL clubs think they could buy their players for under their release clauses? Still time for him to go back to Europe in a few years I guess.

Money.

Cat radio is saying Griezmann has reached an agreement with Barcelona. They will pay the 100 million clause in the summer.

A lot of stories about Griezmann in the Barcelona papers. I seriously hope there is nothing to that. How are they going to line up?

Jul 7, 2009
FFS. These Chinese clubs. Gaitan? Anyway, we'll see who Atleti bring in. That could be too much change and you've still got the Simeone problem.

Money.

A lot of stories about Griezmann in the Barcelona papers. I seriously hope there is nothing to that. How are they going to line up?

I honestly have no idea.

Maybe it's just me but I wish they would go for someone like Saul down the line. I think he's an expectational player but Roberto should be starting and i'd like to see Alena get a look as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This summer will be bonkers. The number of clubs who will be out looking for players at the top level will be insane. Prices from this past Summer will look like a bargain.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This summer will be bonkers. The number of clubs who will be out looking for players at the top level will be insane. Prices from this past Summer will look like a bargain.
Well I mean, prices have been constantly going up for years but originally that was mostly driven by Real Madrid and their ridiculous transfer prices. Barcelona has spent big a few times as well, and United were up there with them (Figo, Zidane, Ferdinand, Veron, R9, CR7, Ibrahimovic) but with new money injected into clubs like City and PSG it increased the prices at a much more accelerated rate. City, United, Barcelona and PSG especially have spent incredible amounts over the last 3 years (Neymar, Coutinho, Mbappe, Dembele, Pogba, Lukaku, Suarez was only 4 years, Laporte, de Bruyne, Mendy, Walker, etc.) Actually it's kind of funny because Real Madrid probably drove the initial inflation of transfer fees but hasn't actually spent 'huge' since Bale/Rodriguez, though I'm sure that'll change in the near future.

That kind of spending is what has driven buys like van Dijk (incredible player, ridiculous fee). Every team that has the money to do it now is going to have to be spending huge or you're just not going to get the best players anymore. It'll probably get even more ridiculous before it gets better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. All teams combined (one might call it the "football economy") got X amount available to spend (on transfers, salaries etc.). It has steadily increased, but mostly due to new TV deals - not because of City, PSG etc. City and PSG obviously inflates the market by basically printing money in the football economy, but the overall effect is still quite limited.

I can't know if this summer will be crazy or not, but you do see teams like for example Barcelona will soon severely limit their net spend due to salaries increasing. Actually - if I remember correctly the PL is the only league with much of a net spend these days (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
What's really interesting is that wages haven't increased along with the transfer salaries. I would hope that more players let their contracts run out and take on huge signing on fees in lieu of a transfer fee. That may be the only thing that could really curb spending. Imagine if PSG lose Mbappe on a free after spending 180 million on him. Or Barcelona lose 100 million on Dembele. Etc.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Greizmann goes to Barca and especially for a 100 million fee of public money, what are the chances that Dembele is then sold? I ask because it would make that Arsenal rumour much more clearer.

Jul 7, 2009
If Greizmann goes to Barca and especially for a 100 million fee of public money, what are the chances that Dembele is then sold? I ask because it would make that Arsenal rumour much more clearer.

Don't think Dembele is getting sold. The team has said they have to be patient and he seems to get along well with the team. Barca have also started sending doctors to his house, and have also given him a diet plan to follow to make sure he remains healthy.

Also Romildo Bolzan (Gremio's President) have said an agreement as been reached with Barca for the transfer of Arthur. The fee has been agreed upon as well so all that remains is the drafting of the paperwork and contracts, which should be done this week.

I have watched him a bit in just some highlight videos and seen that people have high hopes for him but do you guys think he will live up to the hype?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What's really interesting is that wages haven't increased along with the transfer salaries. I would hope that more players let their contracts run out and take on huge signing on fees in lieu of a transfer fee. That may be the only thing that could really curb spending. Imagine if PSG lose Mbappe on a free after spending 180 million on him. Or Barcelona lose 100 million on Dembele. Etc.

Umm, wages have increased. According to the UEFA report just published, the top 20 clubs by wage bill increased their wages by 12% in the past financial year and 14% in the previous financial year. Not sure where you're hearing otherwise....

Selling Dembele after one year in order to buy Griezmann would be a huge mistake and like others I highly doubt Barca would do so.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not at the same rate as transfer amounts.

Ok. Only if you're talking about like 10 guys who moved for massive fees last summer, and I'm sure they all saw nice wage increases. Makes complete sense that player wages grow in accordance with revenue - including incoming transfer fees - and not an outgoing expense paid to another club. 28% growth in wages and 40% growth in transfer fees over the last two years.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
european-transfers-net-spend_3345189.jpg

Not sure if someone have made something for 16/17 and 17/18?

Obviously the Neymar transfer triggered a "splash", but it was really only the same money being used over and over again (van Dijk etc.). Didn't really mean clubs spent any more than before (Qatar did of course).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The English league is bringing in the most TV dollars domestically and certainly internationally so that chart isn't super surprising.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The English league is bringing in the most TV dollars domestically and certainly internationally so that chart isn't super surprising.

Depends. Personally I believe a lot of that "extra money" will become salaries with time.

A league generating more money doesn't automatically mean more net spend. If so all of these leagues should have had sky high net spends considering they are all vastly bigger than all the other leagues in Europe.

In the PL there has been a huge increase in revenue - so salaries might not have followed the transfer fees at the same rate (contracts need to be renegotiate so there is natural lag). Also the richest league will always have the benefit of the market. If a player is paid 100k in Spain or Italy the English team in theory only have to increase the offer to 101k to be attractive - even if the team might afford 200k. That said when players like Jesse Lingard apparently are paid 100k you got to wonder if the English teams are really paying market level salaries - or just what they can afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad