Transfer: Winter 2016 Transfer Window Rumours and discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Niko Kranjcar is on trial with the New York Cosmos, he was released by Dynamo Kiev a few weeks ago. Only real option he had in Europe was Austrian side Rapid Wien but even they I don't think were fully on board. Guy has good natural talent/technical skill but not enough work ethic the succeed in the modern game

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I wonder if Teixeira will do that. It would hurt his chances at ever making the national team.

I would be so happy if FSG found one of these Chinese owners to sell to.

If the money is coming from the TV deal (plus very high attendance, apparently) and not from a sugar daddy model, I'm not sure that they would be less stingy owners. Unless you meant that they should sell players to China.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder if Teixeira will do that. It would hurt his chances at ever making the national team.

If the money is coming from the TV deal (plus very high attendance, apparently) and not from a sugar daddy model, I'm not sure that they would be less stingy owners. Unless you meant that they should sell players to China.

No I want FSG out. The ticketing situation isn't helping my perception either.

And on the Teixeira thing, I hate being right, but as I said many times, the Ukrainians would only sell him to a team that paid what they wanted.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Chinese league spending is based on national glory and pride, there is no interest in other leagues on their part. The government demanded those club owning companies spend money on football to distract from the poor economy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No I want FSG out. The ticketing situation isn't helping my perception either.

When you want a club to spend loads of money on players you can't complain about how much tickets cost. The modern football fan wants to have their cake and eat it by shoving it down their throat with both hands.

For what it's worth the wage bill is 52% of turnover and this is at a club that is building an extension to their main stand at the moment. If you want the club to compete with Arsenal much less the clubs that spend more than Arsenal, they have to find money from somewhere. Of course, ticket prices are too high, but the club could very easily lower ticket prices and become a club they're already on the verge of becoming if you want them to.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When you want a club to spend loads of money on players you can't complain about how much tickets cost. The modern football fan wants to have their cake and eat it by shoving it down their throat with both hands.

For what it's worth the wage bill is 52% of turnover and this is at a club that is building an extension to their main stand at the moment. If you want the club to compete with Arsenal much less the clubs that spend more than Arsenal, they have to find money from somewhere. Of course, ticket prices are too high, but the club could very easily lower ticket prices and become a club they're already on the verge of becoming if you want them to.

Except they aren't buying the players. Also Gordon, Ayre and friends lied about ticketing initiatives to the supporters groups once they met with them. It's not great.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They've bought loads of players and the wage bill is enormous. Every single player they buy brings excess cost to the table. The team is also ****, which presents the problem of having to buy even more players. Having the academy teams they have is also not cheap, and they've spent a ton on that as well.

I do think fans have a right to complain, but they can't have it both ways. If Liverpool is to fund a spending spree, tickets will go up, that's a necessity. Also, sacking Rodgers cost them a load and I'm sure hiring Klopp cost them even more in wages. In addition to costs like the transfer committee, other coaching staffs, and scouting team. This stuff is not cheap.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's not cheap. But they're not spending a ton either. The actual expenditure overall is very minimal for a club of this size. When you consider the players they've also sold (world class talents) they've certainly not spent to the level of only needing a 20 or 25 million a window spend.

They have actually cut their wages from 54 to 52.

The problem is they're making the club live within their means, while also extracting their prices as seeing the club as an investment. It isn't my money, so I can't say I want them out, as they're also better than what we've had, but it's clear that they see this club as a way to make money more than what it actually is.

I'm just upset because they're a top 5 club in the world who is being forced to run on a budget while other teams who have sugar daddies or oil barons can just spend whatever they want until their revenues increase (or cook the books with phony investments). I also feel FSG is short sighted in the sense of the value of the club is massively higher if they are in the top 4 and competing for stuff. Either go all the way and do it, or admit you're trying to increase value through sponsors and revenue, and don't tell the fans you're trying to 'win a title'.

I've also got serious issues with them squeezing more money out of supporters when they use the 'famous atmosphere' to sell to sponsors. What they're making on supporters is pure greed, more so than any desire to increase revenues to make the team more competitive.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, I don't particularly care if they had gotten the kid or not. I don't think the value is in line, and I'm ok with not.

But at some point, if they're going to want to seriously compete to make the CL, they're going to have to go a summer where the best player involved in a Liverpool Transfer didn't leave only to be replaced with potential and mediocrity.

You can't say you're going to compete for the CL, compete for the title, heck, even sell the club Klopp without having the financial investment to back it. If that means you can't get an extra 2 or 3 million squeezed out of the supporters, so be it.

If you can't stomach some of what it takes to run Liverpool football club, (and that does involve spending, because you're going to make it back on revenue with ads and sale price of the club) then maybe you should stick to baseball.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
...aaaaaand Teixeira has moved to China for £35m.

Did we really need any more proof that money talks in football? If we had ponied up the money he would be playing for Liverpool right now. They obviously didn't think he was worth the cash, end of. Time to move on.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Just going to keep a running list going.
I expect it to get quite lengthy.

Asamoah Gyan
Jackson Martinez
Gervinho
Ramires
Paulinho
Gil
Stephane Mbia
Elkeson
Avraam Papadopoulos
Goulart
Renato Augusto
Jucilei
Tardelli
Fredy Montero
Guarin
Conca
Alan (Formerly of RB Salzburg)
Demba Ba
Momo Sissoko
Sammir
Tim Cahill
Kleber
Alex Teixeira
Jo
Burak Yilmaz

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In ten we won't be watch the Chinese league.

A better league in China only helps the top European clubs grow. More viewers will eventually be drawn to the "better league"

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Apparently China is prepared to pay something like 91 million euros for Hulk :amazed: Also Chelsea apparently turned down a similar type offer for Oscar

How accurate this all is, who knows, but they were right on most of the rumors so far

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
In ten we won't be watch the Chinese league.

A better league in China only helps the top European clubs grow. More viewers will eventually be drawn to the "better league"

I suppose you think that's the fate of the MLS too? To draw fans to European leagues? The Chinese league has a long way to go, and the investment in the game could wane, but it sounds like it has a lot of promise on its own.

Caramel

Feb 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure the Chinese Super League is probably the most watched league in the world outside of the top 5 European leagues and Brasileirao.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I'm pretty sure the Chinese Super League is probably the most watched league in the world outside of the top 5 European leagues and Brasileirao.

Liga MX I think has higher attendance than China, I know China was slightly higher than MLS'. Of course the stadiums are bigger but they are still drawing good crowds and will probably only increase

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The MLS will never be popular. There will never be a large enough following to support it like the other leagues around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad