Winnipeg Police arrest Scalpers (Jets Ticket Scalpers)

Fugu

And if no one was willing to do business with prostitutes, there wouldn`t be prostitutes...

TSNE is active with WPS to ensure that the people of Manitoba are able to watch NHL hockey at the price that has been set by TSNE - they have the law supporting their actions. Until the law is rescinded or eliminated, TSNE will support WPS Morals Division monitoring the scalping of tickets for the Jets.

No one has questioned that the law exists, have they? What is being asked, and which you are taking great pains to avoid answering is 'who is being harmed' when a secondary market is created due to overwhelming demand?

Furthermore, since you do not speak for TNSE, how can you be sure that is TNSE's intent? They were happy to sell the tickets at the price they set. Why can't the tickets be sold by the holder/owner of that ticket for any value that is greater than face value? Would TNSE be upset if they sold the ticket for 50% off? That would also mean that the people of Manitoba would be watching hockey at a price that wasn't set by TNSE. ;)

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
You guys understand laws weren't handed down to us by God, right? A man/woman wrote this law, and scalping being against the current laws of Manitoba does not make what the scalpers are doing moral or immoral.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in here but the Team 1260(or Jason Gregor who works for them) is saying that 600 STH have had their tickets revoked. This sounds like misinformation. Can anyone back it up?

Fugu

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...rged-for-scalping-Jets-tickets-131336739.html

here's a more in depth link explaining the price ranges, but I've also been told they were fake tickets in addition to being ridiculously overpriced.

(credit to cbcwpg for the link)

So what we have from this article:
Michalyshen said at least one of the alleged scalpers is a Jets season ticket holder.
The tickets being scalped had a resale value of between $80 and $145, Michalyshen said, adding they were sold to the undercover officers for between $850 and $1,500.
Michalyshen said the two men were issued a provincial offence notice for a violation of Section 60 of the Amusement Act -- scalping -- and then released.

dobiezeke*

No one has questioned that the law exists, have they? What is being asked, and which you are taking great pains to avoid answering is 'who is being harmed' when a secondary market is created due to overwhelming demand?

Furthermore, since you do not speak for TNSE, how can you be sure that is TNSE's intent?
They were happy to sell the tickets at the price they set. Why can't the tickets be sold by the holder/owner of that ticket for any value that is greater than face value? Would TNSE be upset if they sold the ticket for 50% off? That would also mean that the people of Manitoba would be watching hockey at a price that wasn't set by TNSE. ;)

Do your due diligence on the bolded...

I have not avoided who is being harmed...I have made it clear that I have purchased tickets to events and made a profit.

Your comment on whether the holders want to sell the tickets for any value greater than the face value is irrelevant. What part of the Manitoba law are you failing to comprehend. You may not agree with it, which is understandable, however that does not change the fact at this time the price that you can sell a ticket for.

Fugu

Do your due diligence on the bolded...

I have not avoided who is being harmed...I have made it clear that I have purchased tickets to events and made a profit.

Your comment on whether the holders want to sell the tickets for any value greater than the face value is irrelevant. What part of the Manitoba law are you failing to comprehend. You may not agree with it, which is understandable, however that does not change the fact at this time the price that you can sell a ticket for.

You do speak for TNSE?

Edit: How is my comment irrelevant? You want to limit the discussion to whether or not a law exists, not the merit of the law, and why city law enforcement should be diverted to issues that basically do not harm anyone, but help a business control its prices.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You guys understand laws weren't handed down to us by God, right? A man/woman wrote this law, and scalping being against the current laws of Manitoba does not make what the scalpers are doing moral or immoral.

Would you consider it immoral or unethical to sign a contract saying that you won't scalp tickets, and then scalp the ticket? Perhaps I can personalize it a bit. How would you feel if you sold tickets to a close friend with an agreement that he would use them and not resell them, and then he / she resold them at several-fold over the price you sold them to him?

The issue here isn't just whether the law is moral or immoral, people with season tickets signed an agreement saying that they would abide by the resale policy.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
There's no "harm" per say, but I'm plenty ****ing annoyed with scalpers.

I have a job. This job prevents me from stalking the internet, waiting for playoff games, the Stanley Cup Finals, Olympic games, World Junior games, etc. Instead, some jobless shmuck with no affiliation to the organization dictates which games I can and can't go to all because of a little luck.

It happened when the Stanley Cup Finals happened in Phialdelphia. I entered a lottery to get the tickets, but my name never came up. You can sure as **** bet, though, there were tickets being sold on share points for well above face value.

If that face value were well above my budget, and the balance was going towards the organization, and the hardworking people hosting the event, that's fine. What's not fine is another middle man making a healthy dime for doing literally nothing. **** those people.

scalpers have a job to, they provide a service

do you do some moral holier then thou job like working at a children's hospital for minimum wage? if you do then I apologize

Tavaresmagicalplay*

You do speak for TNSE?

Edit: How is my comment irrelevant? You want to limit the discussion to whether or not a law exists, not the merit of the law, and why city law enforcement should be diverted to issues that basically do not harm anyone, but help a business control its prices.
I definitely think it's unethical especially when you're selling those tickets at an unreasonable price.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ticket holders will only be able to sell them at face value on Ticket Exchange.

Have STH been given the full details about TicketExchange?

STH face value price or Box Office Single Game price (assuming there is some STH discount)?

Do you know how much of a cut the Jets/Ticketmaster will take (in addition to the ticket fees)?

Will they pay the STH in cash or just account credit?

Actually, it is my understanding that STH receive more than face value for the resale of some tickets on the Ticket Exchange. Games are classified as A, B and C category, with a different resale price structure. So, you get more for an "A" game than for B or C.

Fugu

I definitely think it's unethical especially when you're selling those tickets at an unreasonable price.

Every price is unreasonable when you can't afford it.

And realistically, if indeed we are talking about supply and demand and the creation of a market, the price isn't set by what someone asks, but ultimately by how much someone is willing to pay.

dobiezeke*

You do speak for TNSE?

You win...you haven`t bothered to read what TSNE stated about scalping.

It is not a city law. Many laws don`t harm anyone...you want to complain about those as well.

Fehr Time*

This is the thing that bugs me though and is why I started the thread in the first place. What is so 'unethical' about selling tickets to entertainment at free market values? And why is there such a ridiculous law in the first place? If the prices were unreasonable as you say then people would not buy them, correct?

I just find the whole issue of 'morality' in this case ridiculous. Especially when we are talking about the NHL and money of all things.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
scalpers have a job to, they provide a service

do you do some moral holier then thou job like working at a children's hospital for minimum wage? if you do then I apologize

I think you are a little mis-informed. "scalpers have a job to,"

While the scalpers may have a job in their "day/night" lives, "scalping" is illegal. (in MB)

Drug dealers, hookers, and bookies also provide a service, those "jobs" are also illegal.

Also, if working at a "children's hopital for minimum wage" is a forgivable profession, why don't scalpers do it?

Fugu

You win...you haven`t bothered to read what TSNE stated about scalping.

It is not a city law. Many laws don`t harm anyone...you want to complain about those as well.

Provincial then. Why don't you post what TNSE said so we don't have to go flipping around for links?

That said, Bettman says lots of things too. I tend to not take him literally. Or probably any politician you can name.

dobiezeke*

You are correct - the law makes the actions illegal. No one is questioning the morality of the action.

Fugu

You are correct - the law makes the actions illegal. No one is questioning the morality of the action.

Law enforcement set up a sting operation to catch STH's and others who were re-selling their tickets at prices far in excess of face value.

This is rather proactive.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do people feel that those who purchase scalped tickets at inflated prices are "victims", as asserted by the police spokesman in this article? http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Two-charged-for-scalping-Jets-tickets-131336739.html

Personally, I would generally say that they are not. They can decide how much a ticket is worth to them, and pay accordingly.

But it is a bit more nuanced than that given the way in which tickets were sold by TNSE. Would TNSE be seen as being unfairly victimizing some fans by selling tickets to favored customers (like previous Moose STH), and then permitting them to scalp the tickets at outrageous prices? What about if they let each Moose STH purchase hundreds of tickets each and resell as many as they wanted for as much as they wanted? My point is that TNSE is not just concerned about upholding laws, but also trying to ensure that they are pursuing policies that are fair to their entire market and fan base. Why else would they have arbitrarily cut off the ST waiting list at 8,000 when they could almost certainly have made a bunch more money by having an unrealistically large waiting list. And they could probably have charged much more for being on a waiting list, and even had a sliding scale (the more you pay, the higher you are on the waiting list) if they just wanted to make money. But they have a community reputation to uphold.

dobiezeke*

Law enforcement set up a sting operation to catch STH's and others who were re-selling their tickets at prices far in excess of face value.

That is what the division of the WPS is mandated to do..give the Morals Division a call. They will let you know what they spend their day doing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I am.

If I sign a contract, I should honour the terms. Signing a contract which one does not intend to honour is immoral.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Hell's Angels make a fortune scalping, at least outside Rogers Arena. They use their phones to ensure they all maintain set prices. The police do nothing.

Maybe they were trying to bust a criminal gang of scalpers... :naughty:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Do people feel that those who purchase scalped tickets at inflated prices are "victims", as asserted by the police spokesman in this article? http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Two-charged-for-scalping-Jets-tickets-131336739.html

Personally, I would generally say that they are not. They can decide how much a ticket is worth to them, and pay accordingly.

What is this world coming to when people who pay too much for sporting event tickets are called victims.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad