Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustBurnsRed*

I'd personally be totally okay with Falcons, even if it's "Manitoba" as well. The name will eventually sink in and become normal.

Eaglepride*

Why is that sad?

if you had just purchased a business for over 100 million dollars, would you like or dislike the idea of making millions because of a new name? Isn't this what makes the world go round? Making money?

They want to make money. They can't make money off the Jets. In fact, they would have to pay the NHL just to use the name.

Not going to happen. It would be cool to have the Jets, but it would also be foolish. They will make money off a new name, and life will go on.. and everyone will get over it.

so....

getting the ex Die Hard Fans on board + attracting the new crowd also hungry for getting the J e t s back is foolish? So you think they won't make millions and millions of $ again, with an improved J e t s logo and other merchandise?

If money is really the only concern for not naming them the J e t s this would be sad beyond god.

However I just hope they're not releasing it at the draft because as someone mentioned would completely overshadow their pick and at least wait till the BoG approvement. I mean, Winnipeg reached the 13k goal so what reason could they have to void it?

Brodie this stuff is way over board comparing the death of your loved one to in this case unimportant things such as the name of a franchise, sorry but thats crap.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Falcons is fine. The name has weight because it's historical, it has some solid logo opportunities and it's the only name besides Jets that's not ridiculous.

You could even argue the name is a knowing tribute to their past in Atlanta in some sense.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Dean Molberg of Calgary Fan 960 just tweeted this:
Disappointment setting in. Growing confident Winnipeg's team will be the Manitoba Falcons. Not terrible, but it's not the Jets. #gojetsgo

I've stated a while back that the team name was going to be the Manitoba Falcons.

As for the Jets, Chipman will get that trademark for the use at the arena like Retro night or something like that.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN HERE ARE YOUR MANITOBA FALCONS"
Now we just need to think of Falcon like entrance music. lol

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Why is that sad?

if you had just purchased a business for over 100 million dollars, would you like or dislike the idea of making millions because of a new name? Isn't this what makes the world go round? Making money?

They want to make money. They can't make money off the Jets. In fact, they would have to pay the NHL just to use the name.

Not going to happen. It would be cool to have the Jets, but it would also be foolish. They will make money off a new name, and life will go on.. and everyone will get over it.

Well yeah, you're right about everything you said, and that's what depresses me. I don't really care if they make some extra coin or not, I won't be seeing any of it, I just want the team to be named Jets. And they won't because of money, and that makes me sad. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's inherently unfortunate that money results in things like this. It's going to disappoint a lot of people.

iggyfan98

Jun 16, 2011
British Columbia
Winnipeg Jets, they should be sponsored by westjet or air canada or the snowbirds, the Snowbird Centre not the MTS centre!
2012 playoffs
"Up next game 3 of the first round it's the Jet's vs the Canucks live from The Snowbird Centre!" YEAH

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Something similar to this for the logo, plz

Newcastle_falcons_badge.png

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Seriously don't understand people's need for this team to be named the Jets.

I grew up with the Winnipeg Jets and was completely devistated when they left and to me Manitoba Moose would be an equally if not more appropriate name for the team. The Moose and the Moose fans are the reason the NHL is back in Winnipeg. It would be a fitting tribute to continue the name. Just as it was fitting to keep the Jets name when the WHA was absorbed by the NHL. As a tribute to the team that got us in the big leagues.

The people I know who are most admant that it must be the Jets are the ones who ignored pro hockey in Winnipeg for the past 15 years and now think it's their right to dictate that the name must be the Jets because we had an NHL team 15 years ago by that name. Well we've had a pro hockey team in the city for the past 15 years by a different name.

Personally Jets, Moose, or Falcons are equally appropriate if they choose to honour Winnipeg's hockey past, and a completely new name wouldn't bother me one bit either

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Seriously don't understand people's need for this team to be named the Jets.

I grew up with the Winnipeg Jets and was completely devistated when they left and to me Manitoba Moose would be an equally if not more appropriate name for the team. The Moose and the Moose fans are the reason the NHL is back in Winnipeg. It would be a fitting tribute to continue the name. Just as it was fitting to keep the Jets name when the WHA was absorbed by the NHL. As a tribute to the team that got us in the big leagues.

The people I know who are most admant that it must be the Jets are the ones who ignored pro hockey in Winnipeg for the past 15 years and now think it's their right to dictate that the name must be the Jets because we had an NHL team 15 years ago by that name. Well we've had a pro hockey team in the city for the past 15 years by a different name.

Personally Jets, Moose, or Falcons are equally appropriate if they choose to honour Winnipeg's hockey past, and a completely new name wouldn't bother me one bit either

Then you haven't read the many passionate and valid reasons that have been put forth over and over. The Moose also have a passionate but far smaller fanbase, which is to be expected of a farm team.

The Jets have a far stronger and much more relevant heritage and history, both in Winnipeg and worldwide. The continuity thing is a legitimate bugaboo, but other than that, I can't fathom why anyone would throw away a good and established brand. It makes no sense at all.

Orenji

Jan 23, 2010
Winningland
Calling them the Jets is like having a girlfriend for ten years, an amazing relationship, but then she left you for some dude down south. For the next fifteen years, all you think about is her, but then finally get a new girlfriend. Instead of seeing this girlfriend as new, you force the new girlfriend to look, dress and talk like the girlfriend you lost so long ago; even though that same girl, who left you, is still alive and who you still wanted only a few days before you learned this new girl wanted you.

Eaglepride*

Calling them the Jets is like having a girlfriend for ten years, an amazing relationship, but then she left you for some dude down south. For the next fifteen years, all you think about is her, but then finally get a new girlfriend. Instead of seeing this girlfriend as new, you force the new girlfriend to look, dress and talk like the girlfriend you lost so long ago; even though that same girl, who left you, is still alive and who you still wanted only a few days before you learned this new girl wanted you.

Another stupid example this is not about love in terms of relationsship with a girl its about a damn hockeyclub and his tradition, wish people would learn.

Naming Winnipeg the J e t s would just be the right thing to do in terms of fanbase.

I mean, if the Wings would have left for 17 years and then come back as a new team, I'd still expect them to be named the Redwings.

That said how about the Winnipeg Jettingfalconic Moose? That way everyone would be happy (just jk).

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg

Nope. Here we go again with comparing a franchise to a living thing. :shakehead

Orenji

Jan 23, 2010
Winningland
Another stupid example this is not about love in terms of relationsship with a girl its about a damn hockeyclub and his tradition, wish people would learn.

Naming Winnipeg the J e t s would just be the right thing to do in terms of fanbase.

I mean, if the Wings would have left for 17 years and then come back as a new team, I'd still expect them to be named the Redwings.

That said how about the Winnipeg Jettingfalconic Moose? That way everyone would be happy (just jk).

Thing is, if the Jets had been contracted and this new team came, then I would 100% behind calling them the Jets. But they didn't get contracted; the Jets history and lineage is still the Phoenix Coyotes. The timeline of the Winnipeg Jets goes into the Phoenix Coyotes history books.

It's not the Jets team that left. These are the Atlanta Thrashers. If the Coyotes had moved to Winnipeg, I would think it would be idiotic to name than anything other than the Jets.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've stated a while back that the team name was going to be the Manitoba Falcons.

As for the Jets, Chipman will get that trademark for the use at the arena like Retro night or something like that.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN HERE ARE YOUR MANITOBA FALCONS"
Now we just need to think of Falcon like entrance music. lol

Colbert Report's intro music haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad