Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
From an inside "source" I have, he is convinced the team is going to still be called the Jets but with a new logo. He even showed me a picture of the alleged new logo and it looks fantastic. He said the team plans on releasing the jersey at the draft, with Cheveldayoff making the announcement.

Would your "source" be referring to this logo?

winnipeg_white_copy.png

winnipeg2.png

bicycles

Aug 5, 2006
Manitoba Falcons is a great name. Time to move into the future. As John K Samson says, "If your wife dies, you don't dress up your new girlfriend in her clothes."

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Manitoba Falcons is a great name. Time to move into the future. As John K Samson says, "If your wife dies, you don't dress up your new girlfriend in her clothes."

But calling them the Falcons is like dressing your new girlfriend in your dead grandmothers clothes...

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I personally really like Manitoba Falcons. Just like the poster a few posts above me, the Jets franchise is no longer there, so let's just leave the name as a great memory of the past. When the Nordiques moved to Colorado, they were NOT re-named the Colorado Rockies. Not only because the baseball team in town had the same name, but the Rockies franchise was now the Devils franchise. This is very much like the current situation. The Jets franchise was moved to Phoenix. The Thrashers franchise was moved to Winnipeg/Manitoba. Two separate entities.

Eaglepride*

Personally I think it would be stupid, period. The Winnipegers are hungry for the return of the J e t s and their tradition. Die hard fans waited so long go get the J e t s back, young kids would love to see the J e t s because they weren't born back then or too young.

So someone fill me in how naming them not the J e t s would be smart? Hockey is also about tradition and the J e t s do have one maybe not the best but still.

To be honest Manitoba Falcons would be a name, I combine with an AHL team...

This logo is looking more like 3 rockets not like J e t s.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I would love if they announced it at the draft by picking 7th and revealing the name and jersey with the pick. That would be pretty sweet.

bicycles

Aug 5, 2006
Personally I think it would be stupid, period. The Winnipegers are hungry for the return of the J e t s and their tradition. Die hard fans waited so long go get the J e t s back, young kids would love to see the J e t s because they weren't born back then or too young.

So someone fill me in how naming them not the J e t s would be smart? Hockey is also about tradition and the J e t s do have one maybe not the best but still.

To be honest Manitoba Falcons would be a name, I combine with an AHL team...

This logo is looking more like 3 rockets not like J e t s.

ok but the Jet's tradition is now tied to Phoenix, whether we want to admit it or not. time for a clean slate.

Winnipeg Jet

Phoenix Coyote
Jun 2, 2011
British Columbia
jets.nhl.com
If True North make the mistake of not calling them the Jets, hopefully everyone will remain calm. I’d hate to see a Vancouver-like temper tantrum hit Winnipeg over this issue. True North, make the right decision. Call them the Jets.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I would love if they announced it at the draft by picking 7th and revealing the name and jersey with the pick. That would be pretty sweet.

The only problem is that it overshadows the pick. This is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for this kid and all anyone is going to care about it the name/logo. Then you could also have the issue of people booing the name which makes the whole situation really awkward.
Announce it next week at a separate press conference in front of the stadium.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Winnipeg Falcons. Hmm...

Team moves from Atlanta, losing the name of "Thrashers" in the process, and is then named after the NFL team from Atlanta.

Just call them the flippin Jets.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
They won't go with "Jets" because they'll make more money coming up with their own name and sweater. Sad but true.

Maybe locally they'll sell new things more, but for everyone else I'm not so sure. I'd probably be all over a new Winnipeg Jets jersey this summer. Manitoba Falcons, not so much.

IslesBeBack*

They won't go with "Jets" because they'll make more money coming up with their own name and sweater. Sad but true.

Why is that sad?

if you had just purchased a business for over 100 million dollars, would you like or dislike the idea of making millions because of a new name? Isn't this what makes the world go round? Making money?

They want to make money. They can't make money off the Jets. In fact, they would have to pay the NHL just to use the name.

Not going to happen. It would be cool to have the Jets, but it would also be foolish. They will make money off a new name, and life will go on.. and everyone will get over it.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Why is that sad?

if you had just purchased a business for over 100 million dollars, would you like or dislike the idea of making millions because of a new name? Isn't this what makes the world go round? Making money?

They want to make money. They can't make money off the Jets. In fact, they would have to pay the NHL just to use the name.

Not going to happen. It would be cool to have the Jets, but it would also be foolish. They will make money off a new name, and life will go on.. and everyone will get over it.

They'll make just as much money if not MORE by rebranding the Jets. And the NHL has said they could have the name for FREE. So there's no reason whatsoever not to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad