Series Discussion: Winnipeg Jets vs Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I really like our chances in this series. Starts with goaltending.

But our forward group is strong, and we were start to get on a roll with players coming back from injury.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Eakin-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Perreault-Shore-Appleton

Those were the 12 at the end, I expect them to be the 12 to start. Harkins had a strong stint, and I think he will get in the lineup if anyone falters. Other than that maybe Gustafsson sees some action, we could have a distinct size advantage at centre with him in there, though Shore was excellent on the PK. Chibisov could be a wild card too, though I think Bourque would get in before him because of his defensive awareness.

Defense is a little more unclear. We had some injuries on the back end.

I think this layoff might help Morrissey who has been playing hurt. He and De Melo should be the top pairing.
I suspect Maurice will come back with Kulikov-Pionk. Kulikov has been the Jekyll and Hyde. I'd sure like to see Samberg up there with Pionk, but with no practice time to integrate, I don't see him starting off the hop. But I wouldn't be surprised if he got into the series.

That bottom pairing is another question mark. Finished with Beaulieu-Pooolman, but that was because Sbisa was injured. I suspect that Maurice would favour the vet with playoff experience over Poolman, who is in his 1st full season. Beaulieu and Sbisa had a nice run together too, not on the Corsi side, but on the +/- side. Probably be the 1st PK unit, though I think Poolman did very well, and he offers more speed than either of the two. May see all 3.

But the Jets being healthy now I think have the depth advantage over the Flames, and the advantage in several other areas.

Going to be fun to watch.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really like our chances in this series. Starts with goaltending.

But our forward group is strong, and we were start to get on a roll with players coming back from injury.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Eakin-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Perreault-Shore-Appleton

Those were the 12 at the end, I expect them to be the 12 to start. Harkins had a strong stint, and I think he will get in the lineup if anyone falters. Other than that maybe Gustafsson sees some action, we could have a distinct size advantage at centre with him in there, though Shore was excellent on the PK. Chibisov could be a wild card too, though I think Bourque would get in before him because of his defensive awareness.

Defense is a little more unclear. We had some injuries on the back end.

I think this layoff might help Morrissey who has been playing hurt. He and De Melo should be the top pairing.
I suspect Maurice will come back with Kulikov-Pionk. Kulikov has been the Jekyll and Hyde. I'd sure like to see Samberg up there with Pionk, but with no practice time to integrate, I don't see him starting off the hop. But I wouldn't be surprised if he got into the series.

That bottom pairing is another question mark. Finished with Beaulieu-Pooolman, but that was because Sbisa was injured. I suspect that Maurice would favour the vet with playoff experience over Poolman, who is in his 1st full season. Beaulieu and Sbisa had a nice run together too, not on the Corsi side, but on the +/- side. Probably be the 1st PK unit, though I think Poolman did very well, and he offers more speed than either of the two. May see all 3.

But the Jets being healthy now I think have the depth advantage over the Flames, and the advantage in several other areas.

Going to be fun to watch.

Samberg isn't eligible to play. His contract starts next year.

Yeah I think the time off will be good for both Morrissey and Lowry.

Reactions: mazmin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Samberg isn't eligible to play. His contract starts next year.

Yeah I think the time off will be good for both Morrissey and Lowry.

Some improvements in physical ailments could be offset by the psychological impact of the sheer unnaturalness of it all. How do you wrap your head around having your normal summer taken away, being told to live and work in isolation away from your friends and family, and playing in a cavernous void so quiet you will be able to hear Wheeler's wheezing? :laugh:

Who knows, maybe that drive to compete will overcome everything else, but I have my doubts these will be playoffs to remember. At least, for the right reasons.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I've been out of the loop this season. Have they confirmed when the playoff season will start?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've been out of the loop this season. Have they confirmed when the playoff season will start?

Nothing has been confirmed but the NHL is hoping to open training camps around July 11th. Add two to three weeks for a camp and the beginning of August is most likely whe they are targeting to start the play ins.

Reactions: Hobble

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I would love it if they allowed the top-seeded teams the chance to pick who they wanted to play in the respective round.

Imagine what that would do for rivalries.

Boston would just say Toronto every time.

And then if Toronto actually pulled off a win... Can you imagine.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Nothing has been confirmed but the NHL is hoping to open training camps around July 11th. Add two to three weeks for a camp and the beginning of August is most likely whe they are targeting to start the play ins.

Oh okay, I had the impression things were starting up in July, but I guess that was training camp, so it’s much later than I was expecting!

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
And then if Toronto actually pulled off a win... Can you imagine.
One could only imagine Toronto beating Boston.. Cuz it would never happen.

Pretty sure this is written on the missing page of the Bible. 11th commandment or something like that.

Maybe 7th day he took a rest and watched Boston beat Toronto while saying to his neighbors "Leafs sucketh"

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the season completed ... but we are getting so late in the year it's almost to the point of is it worth it? If these series start in August, will the Cup even be won in time to start the 2020/2021 season in October?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I feel like anything could happen and I wouldn't be surprised. There's no telling how the team's will come out of the break and which team will get on a good roll first. And we need to hope that Helle comes back from the break and picks up where he left off.

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the season completed ... but we are getting so late in the year it's almost to the point of is it worth it? If these series start in August, will the Cup even be won in time to start the 2020/2021 season in October?
I don't think there is any intention to start the 2020-21 season in October. It makes sense financially for the NHL to finish off a 80% completed season and meet TV obligations by having playoff games to bring in as much revenue as possible this season. Since the NHL is such a gate driven league I don't think they even try to start next season unless they can start getting people back into arenas. Maybe they get desperate enough at some point to try in pull off a modified TV only 2020-21 season where the players agree to a small fraction of their salaries, but that will be a fall back position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think there is any intention to start the 2020-21 season in October. It makes sense financially for the NHL to finish off a 80% completed season and meet TV obligations by having playoff games to bring in as much revenue as possible this season. Since the NHL is such a gate driven league I don't think they even try to start next season unless they can start getting people back into arenas. Maybe they get desperate enough at some point to try in pull off a modified TV only 2020-21 season where the players agree to a small fraction of their salaries, but that will be a fall back position.

Pretty much. Pushing the start of next season back to December/January gives a lot more time for research into potential medications and vaccines and for possible herd immunity to develop.

They are going to want as many games with fans in the stands as possible.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The first round in every series will be a crap shoot.
The first few weeks of the regular season is always full of statistical anomalies with bad teams over performing and good teams looking terribad.

Add the fact that some players are going to be unfit from isolation and intensity will be needed from opening whistle.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Exactly. If you play more playoff games and less regular season games, you pay less in salary.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Exactly. If you play more playoff games and less regular season games, you pay less in salary.

This is a topic I haven’t dug deep into but I believe playoff revenues are still part of HRR. Players don’t collect pay checks at that time of the year but all players compensation includes HRR from playoffs. At least that was what I was led to believe?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I would love it if they allowed the top-seeded teams the chance to pick who they wanted to play in the respective round.

Imagine what that would do for rivalries.

Boston would just say Toronto every time.

This would give some very significant meaning to regular season seeding for sure. It's one of those ideas that sounds crazy when you first hear it, up until you think about it for five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad