Series Discussion: Winnipeg Jets vs Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is strange ... the sports talk shows I listened too all picked the Jets.
The first round always has surprises and it will be interesting how the players will play ... if they are worried about covid-19 or not. The ones that are worried will be probably be going home first.

Even more than usual this PO is going to be unpredictable. Which team might shake off the rust quicker will be a big factor. That goes triple for goaltending. But on paper, the Jets are a better team, even without the Helle factor. It shouldn't be close - but this PO, who knows?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
With the knowledge that Brian Little isn't a possible player...

This does weaken our forward group...

Helle' will have to be... well.... Helle'....

:popcorn:
Have they stated Little is out? Personally I'm not sure its an issue, seeing as he hasn't played in like 8 months. As for Helly, he is the key. I can see him coming up big. He's not one of these whiny entitled guys, so I can see him going all out.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why not. His college season is ended and he has signed a pro (NHL) contract, started May 2020. Can he handle the speed, skill of NHL thrown in a mini-playoff series after a shutdown of 3months, as his 1st intro to the top league.
Never know for sure until it is tried, proven.

His contract was signed to take effect July 1. That is, next season.

If I understood correctly there is some discussion about eligibility for the PO between the league and NHLPA. So I don't think it is written in stone yet, but if nothing changes he would be ineligible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Have they stated Little is out? Personally I'm not sure its an issue, seeing as he hasn't played in like 8 months. As for Helly, he is the key. I can see him coming up big. He's not one of these whiny entitled guys, so I can see him going all out.

I believe it was 'out until after more testing in late summer'. That has sparked a lot of speculation that he is done.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Some thoughts about the upcoming series:

Our D is NOT as bad as everyone whines about. We started with an absolute cluster-f, added injuries to that and relied on waiver wire pickups to survive, which we did. Since then Pionk blossomed, we got Demelo, and we got healthy. Our D is not going to make any 'best' lists, but it is a well balanced, lunch box D. It is good enough to take us far with our weapons up front, as long as two things happen:
  • They stay healthy
  • Hellebuyck continues where he left off.
The problem with hockey is the analytics are still really unproven and there is still a LONG way to go to prove out certain stats and come up with a series of universally accepted metrics that paint an accurate story about teams.

Add to that the huge impact one player can have on a team's success (goaltender) and it futher muddies the water. Teams with excellent, consistent goaltending can adapt their strategy to use that to their advantage, just as teams with average goaltending need to address it through tactics to minimize high danger chances (don't get me started on how the stats community identify those)

The one thing I am concerned about is how we address Tkachuk. He's a dirty POS and you know he's going to target Pionk and Morrissey. Without Buff, we need someone who is going to step up and limit his effectiveness. Even though some like to think that toughness and physicality mean nothing in the NHL - they still account for a lot. They drive a lot of psychological factors in the game that there are no metrics for - factors that have a very large impact on the game especially in a series between 2 teams.

Bottom line is, this post season is going to have a lot of shocks in it. I think a healthy Jets squad has the best chance as any to go all the way this year.
Those Tkachuk boys are a problem. Scoring aside having that type of player who plays on the edge and INITIATES a scrum rather than Jet players who are always reacting. More often than not the guy reacting is going to be the one getting the penalty.

The Jets need to get that guy added to their team. I really like what Lowry and Copp do out there they play hard and fair out there. They need to learn to get a little dirty, give that extra wack at the goaltender and take face wash here and there and just smile back. Get the other team chasing after them instead of having Tkachuk getting in the face of Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers. When Tkachuk starts that someone needs to make Johnny Hockey uncomfortable instead of getting sucked in by Tkachuk.

Reactions: Jet

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
My guess is the NHL will not take the risk of using a Canadian City as a Hub. Look for a states with a Governor who will be lax on COVID regulations (cough cough Dallas).
I'd bet on Toronto and Vegas hosting.

Reactions: ps241

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Even more than usual this PO is going to be unpredictable. Which team might shake off the rust quicker will be a big factor. That goes triple for goaltending. But on paper, the Jets are a better team, even without the Helle factor. It shouldn't be close - but this PO, who knows?

To go even further with your point Mort, as far as the play-in round and first playoff round go...

Who shakes off the rust quickest and completely will be THE factor in almost every series.

Talent difference is going to have a pretty minimal impact. Having a tight defensive system and a hot goalie will be everything!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Those Tkachuk boys are a problem. Scoring aside having that type of player who plays on the edge and INITIATES a scrum rather than Jet players who are always reacting. More often than not the guy reacting is going to be the one getting the penalty.

The Jets need to get that guy added to their team. I really like what Lowry and Copp do out there they play hard and fair out there. They need to learn to get a little dirty, give that extra wack at the goaltender and take face wash here and there and just smile back. Get the other team chasing after them instead of having Tkachuk getting in the face of Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers. When Tkachuk starts that someone needs to make Johnny Hockey uncomfortable instead of getting sucked in by Tkachuk.

I agree completely. Another reason I think Domi or Gallagher would be perfect fits here.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The nice thing about Hockey is if they start targeting our players then we have guys like Lowry that can give it back to their stars too. Walt junior is going to be a pain in the ass but on balance Calgary is not an abrasiveness team in fact their fans complain they are the opposite and they wilted last year when facing Colorado in the playoffs. I know Luc was brought in for just that reason. Either way I think we will be fine in that category IMO.

This is going to be a very controversial post, but I think that Laine is growing a mean streak as he grows into his body. I don't want him fighting and breaking a hand, but he was going for big hits last year and I think led the team at one point.

Overall our team is pretty big. Laine/Wheeler/Lowry are all 6'5" guys and there are a bunch that are just under that.

Again, not fighters, but we can certainly throw our weight around.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To go even further with your point Mort, as far as the play-in round and first playoff round go...

Who shakes off the rust quickest and completely will be THE factor in almost every series.

Talent difference is going to have a pretty minimal impact. Having a tight defensive system and a hot goalie will be everything!

Yup. We are in uncharted waters here. Never seen a PO after a 3 month layoff before. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is going to be a very controversial post, but I think that Laine is growing a mean streak as he grows into his body. I don't want him fighting and breaking a hand, but he was going for big hits last year and I think led the team at one point.

Overall our team is pretty big. Laine/Wheeler/Lowry are all 6'5" guys and there are a bunch that are just under that.

Definitely saw some of that in Laines game this season. Perreault has pest in him but doesn't seem strong enough to be a real impact.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

That isn't controversial. Laine is a big nasty dude. No 2 ways about it.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Don't think it's controversial at all. To me, it has kind of felt like he has been trying to get in a fight ever since he was a rookie.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The predictive models hate the Jets because their fancystats have been so poor this season.

Getting Vezina-caliber goaltending, having a pretty good powerplay, and being the least-penalized team in the NHL was enough to get the Jets to the edge of the playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad