Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If anything about Wong this season Okotoks isn't that good and he is still producing. They were probably the best team in the AJHL last year and lost in the finals. I doubt they are anywhere near that this year. Plus he is riding shotgun for Dylan Holloway a young kid with a chance at being a 1st round pick this year who is leading the AJHL in scoring.

As for not being an idiot you don't go to Harvard for purely sports so he has to have a brain in there, I wouldn't judge him as a prospect until at least a couple of years at Harvard to see what kind of numbers he can produce there

Oh fyi there is a kid in the AJHL, Carter Savoie, who is 5th in scoring as a 16 year old. Now that is impressive

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If anything about Wong this season Okotoks isn't that good and he is still producing. They were probably the best team in the AJHL last year and lost in the finals. I doubt they are anywhere near that this year. Plus he is riding shotgun for Dylan Holloway a young kid with a chance at being a 1st round pick this year who is leading the AJHL in scoring.

As for not being an idiot you don't go to Harvard for purely sports so he has to have a brain in there, I wouldn't judge him as a prospect until at least a couple of years at Harvard to see what kind of numbers he can produce there

Oh fyi there is a kid in the AJHL, Carter Savoie, who is 5th in scoring as a 16 year old. Now that is impressive

I'm just saying that his play style is a big reason as to why he produces. But it also gets him into a tonne of trouble. Maybe he can refine his game but it's unlikely at this point. He plays on the edge because it's how he puts up points. He could be going to any school I don't think it matters if it's Harvard or on the moon he is a dirty player and he's unlikely to change. As we've seen time and time again. Dirty players rarely change.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm just saying that his play style is a big reason as to why he produces. But it also gets him into a tonne of trouble. Maybe he can refine his game but it's unlikely at this point. He plays on the edge because it's how he puts up points. He could be going to any school I don't think it matters if it's Harvard or on the moon he is a dirty player and he's unlikely to change. As we've seen time and time again. Dirty players rarely change.
Being dirty has worked for many players. Marchand, Tkachuk as long as you have talent in abundance I don't know if that's the case.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Being dirty has worked for many players. Marchand, Tkachuk as long as you have talent in abundance I don't know if that's the case.

Neither Marchand or Tkachuk put up that many PIMS at lower levels. Hell even Lemieux hasn't.

The kid regularly does stuff like this. Some of his other suspensions include a two handed slash to the back of a player and a very clear headshot from his shoulder to another player. He might be one of the most undisciplined skilled players I've ever seen.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think there was anything wrong with that last hit and it probably helped to get him drafted

Yeah and we were the team to pull the trigger with the 3rd last pick of the entire draft. Meaning 30 other teams passed on him 214 times. Almost as many penalty minutes as he had in his draft year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yeah and we were the team to pull the trigger with the 3rd last pick of the entire draft. Meaning 30 other teams passed on him 214 times. Almost as many penalty minutes as he had in his draft year.

So what a perfect spot to take a flyer on a kid who is going to Harvard where you can just leave him and see if he can control himself. I mean we also stole Niku in the 7th round and I kind of like taking flyers on guys late like this that are a least interesting in some way instead of taking some play vanilla guys they used to take.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So what a perfect spot to take a flyer on a kid who is going to Harvard where you can just leave him and see if he can control himself. I mean we also stole Niku in the 7th round and I kind of like taking flyers on guys late like this that are a least interesting in some way instead of taking some play vanilla guys they used to take.

I'm not saying it was a bad pick. Just don't expect a kid who put up more PIMS then Tom Wilson could dream of to clean up his game. Very few people do. Though I'd imagine your the old school type who enjoys watching people get injured because it's entertaining.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
None of them have had anywhere close to the history this kid has.
That comment wasn't the point nor did it answer the question.
Did you think Matthew Tkachuk was going to be the player he is? Or his father or brother for that matter but mostly interested to have you say what your opinion on Matthew Tkachuk was.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That comment wasn't the point nor did it answer the question.
Did you think Matthew Tkachuk was going to be the player he is? Or his father or brother for that matter but mostly interested to have you say what your opinion on Matthew Tkachuk was.

I was actually super wrong on Tkachuk. I thought he might be complimentary player. But that was moreso watching him play with star power in Matthews and Marner. I heavily revised my opinion on Brady who I took as the 4th overall pick in my dynasty fantasy league, which has been a pleasant surprise so far.

But that has nothing to do with Austin Wong being a dirty player. Who put up more PIMS than both of the Tkachuks combined in their draft years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I haven't kept track of how many change and how many do not, but anecdotally Tom Wilson is a pretty good example. He clearly hasn't learned a thing. Marchand is the same way. They seem to truly believe in what they are doing, that it is the way things should be.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I haven't kept track of how many change and how many do not, but anecdotally Tom Wilson is a pretty good example. He clearly hasn't learned a thing. Marchand is the same way. They seem to truly believe in what they are doing, that it is the way things should be.

I think it's pretty rare for obviously dirty players to change. Guys who are on the edge can for sure. The Tkachuk's and Domi are a good example. But getting 235 pims in 55 games isn't playing on the edge. That is playing well off of it. 8 games of over 10 penalty minutes. Multiple suspensions from minor leagues all the way up to Junior A. Harvard hasn't really had an overly dirty players recently. Kevan Melrose is their most penalized player with 300 PIM in 79 games during his Harvard career. He never amounted to much but it was also a very different time when playing like that was a more acceptable role on a team.

Wong definitely has offence to his game but much like Tom Wilson, their offensive game is built around how much the can get away with. He's a take no bullshit kind of kid and that can be great but it can also be a detriment to your team. He's far more undisciplined than Lemieux ever has been and people absolutely hate on Lemieux for that so I can't see this kid being a fan favorite unless he changes his entire on ice persona.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's pretty rare for obviously dirty players to change. Guys who are on the edge can for sure. The Tkachuk's and Domi are a good example. But getting 235 pims in 55 games isn't playing on the edge. That is playing well off of it. 8 games of over 10 penalty minutes. Multiple suspensions from minor leagues all the way up to Junior A. Harvard hasn't really had an overly dirty players recently. Kevan Melrose is their most penalized player with 300 PIM in 79 games during his Harvard career. He never amounted to much but it was also a very different time when playing like that was a more acceptable role on a team.

Wong definitely has offence to his game but much like Tom Wilson, their offensive game is built around how much the can get away with. He's a take no bull**** kind of kid and that can be great but it can also be a detriment to your team. He's far more undisciplined than Lemieux ever has been and people absolutely hate on Lemieux for that so I can't see this kid being a fan favorite unless he changes his entire on ice persona.

Generally agree. Wong was a 7th round pick so expectations are low to start. I'm willing to give him a chance. He has several years and is still young enough to change. If he doesn't he will never amount to much as a pro.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Vallati/Oshawa playing on Sportsnet this afternoon for anyone who wants to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad