Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I had Stanley as more of a 3rd round talent but admit he was a classic polarizing prospect across the scouting world. I hated the pick but am cheering for him.

What I don’t like:

His skating. Simply put his defensive footwork is not good enough. Last time I saw him he struggled with his gaps
just curious as to a) when you last saw him b) how many games have you seen?
i haven't seen a lick of him with the Moose, so i'm eager to hear updates. curious if people have seen him lately and if he's at least trending in a positive direction

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
just curious as to a) when you last saw him b) how many games have you seen?
i haven't seen a lick of him with the Moose, so i'm eager to hear updates. curious if people have seen him lately and if he's at least trending in a positive direction

I have seen bits and pieces of him on the moose but not enough this season to get a good feel for sure. I probably saw parts of 7 of his junior games in his last season in the OHL. I would usually watch two periods in most viewings. I watched his preseason games with the Jets.

I am looking forward to a live viewing at a Moose game on the 14th with my kids hockey team. I will try to report what I see after that game.

Reactions: HannuJ

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The scorn was never directed at Stanley. Those who were critical of the pick (and the tradeup) directed their scorn at Chevy/Hillier.

That draft was extremely uncharacteristic of the Jets and I think many draft analysts said that too so it's not just some "disgruntled posters" on HFJets. That said, if lessons have been learned from that draft we can move on.
Some tried to walk that line with various degrees of success while others threw their derision directly at the kid.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I have seen bits and pieces of him on the moose but not enough this season to get a good feel for sure. I probably saw parts of 7 of his junior games in his last season in the OHL. I would usually watch two periods in most viewings. I watched his preseason games with the Jets.

I am looking forward to a live viewing at a Moose game on the 14th with my kids hockey team. I will try to report what I see after that game.
more curious if his skating work's come together.
Dave from IC suggested on Twitter that Stanley's actually doing quite alright

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
more curious if his skating work's come together.
Dave from IC suggested on Twitter that Stanley's actually doing quite alright

It is getting better but it needs to go further. It was like Lowry's skating when he first came to pro hockey poor and many thought it would hold him back but it didn't

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His skating still needs a lot of work. He was having difficulty closing down speedy/shifty forwards. Also in one game I was at he was looking almost every race to the boards which allowed the oppoaition player to get into good body position and win the board battles. He has to learn that he needs to be in the correct position to use his size effectively as these pro players are good at maintaining possession.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So here is my thing about Stanley. I had him as a late 1st/early 2nd in his draft year. Classic project pick. Everything I hear about from people that do scouting for a living say the same thing about him. This kid works his ass off on and off the ice. Yes he is huge but if he has that work ethic and keeps pushing himself you could have a very good player in a few years. That is why I hold out hopes for him and don't put too much stock into his first year numbers because I think he is the type of player who will look at what he needs to do to get better at every level he is at. It just might take a few years

I think this is it for Stanley. People talking about him as a possibility for the Jets next year are dreaming, even the year after is excessive enthusiasm. He really hasn't shown NHL potential at all - yet.

That work ethic gives him a chance to be a good NHL player - eventually. He might be ready to get a look by his 3rd pro year but right now he has too far to go to be able to see that happening any sooner. And he might well be into his 2nd contract before he makes it - if he makes it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the work ethic but its about starting point and trajectory for me. He started pretty far behind the curve and has an awful lot of ground to make up. He improved at a good clip as a junior but I'm not sure it was at a steep enough level to turn the needle enough for me. While early a couple of dmen in the system look to be starting further ahead and have fairly good trajectories so far. I also think many of the dmen in the system have a tool set that is more geared towards the faster NHL. Like PS241 I question whether he will ever skate well enough to be able to defend at more then an adequate level in the NHL. I also don't think he has the offensive ability to offset it if he can't. But I will pull for him.

Well said Surixon. One nit to pick. "I question whether he will ever skate well enough to be able to defend at more then an adequate level in the NHL", he doesn't have to defend at more than an adequate level. He needs to defend at an adequate level. That with a good breakout pass and a little offense and I will be happy with him. Still won't be happy with either the pick or the trade, but I will be happy with him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some tried to walk that line with various degrees of success while others threw their derision directly at the kid.

The reason I 'derided' Chevy/Hillier for the pick/trade was because the kid was not good enough to justify it. Therefore it is impossible to be that down on the pick without also being down on Stanley. Nothing personal though. Just simply that he was not a good enough player to be picked that high - or even close. He was not a good enough player to be picked by the Jets because the Jets did not have a 3rd rd pick and that was the earliest he should have gone.

Taken in the 3rd or 4th rd, he would be an interesting project pick. A good gamble since little would have been risked.

If he had been born a year earlier and drafted by Chicago in the 4th rd would you have been happy with Dano + him instead of a 1st in return for Ladd? And the 4th is the earliest he would have gone in that '15 draft with the quality and depth that it had.

Maybe that is the wrong way to put that question because, by then a lot of people would have taken a bag of old pucks for Ladd. If you were presented with the choice of Dano + 1st, or Dano plus Hawks 4th rd pick from the year before, which would you take?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The reason I 'derided' Chevy/Hillier for the pick/trade was because the kid was not good enough to justify it. Therefore it is impossible to be that down on the pick without also being down on Stanley. Nothing personal though. Just simply that he was not a good enough player to be picked that high - or even close. He was not a good enough player to be picked by the Jets because the Jets did not have a 3rd rd pick and that was the earliest he should have gone.

Taken in the 3rd or 4th rd, he would be an interesting project pick. A good gamble since little would have been risked.

If he had been born a year earlier and drafted by Chicago in the 4th rd would you have been happy with Dano + him instead of a 1st in return for Ladd? And the 4th is the earliest he would have gone in that '15 draft with the quality and depth that it had.

Maybe that is the wrong way to put that question because, by then a lot of people would have taken a bag of old pucks for Ladd. If you were presented with the choice of Dano + 1st, or Dano plus Hawks 4th rd pick from the year before, which would you take?
you have admitted you watched 5 minutes of Stanley on youtube and concluded he should have been drafted in 3rd or 4th round. nuff said.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
you have admitted you watched 5 minutes of Stanley on youtube and concluded he should have been drafted in 3rd or 4th round. nuff said.

I have a lot of information on Stanley beyond that. A lot.

I didn't realize that discussion of prospects was restricted to those who attend jr hockey. I guess there would be very few of us indeed who can discuss NCAA prospects, much less European ones.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It is getting better but it needs to go further. It was like Lowry's skating when he first came to pro hockey poor and many thought it would hold him back but it didn't

Its funny people were using Scheifele as an example of how hard work leads to great results and linking that to Stanley's possible path with his work ethic but I always thought that was unrealistic since Scheifele had allot more natural skill. However, I actually was using Lowry as my example of the path Stanley could possibly take if everything breaks right. If Stanley could ever get his skating up to a D equivalent level of Lowry where he became a really functional option and could be used in tough situations that would be exceptional. Now I think it is a bit easier for a forward to develop the skating since there are more strait lines but that is the ceiling comparable I would love to see Logan achieve.
The challenge is Stanley is not naturally a shut down defender but neither was Morrissey although Josh has insane skating and skills.

I think my rosy picture above has a very low probability of happening but A guy can dream big.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its funny people were using Scheifele as an example of how hard work leads to great results and linking that to a Stanley's possible path with his work ethic but I always thought that was unrealistic since Scheifele had allot more natural skill. However, I actually was using Lowry as my example of the path Stanley could possibly take if everything breaks right. If Stanley could ever get his skating up to a D equivalent level of Lowry where he became a really functional option and could be used in tough situations that would be exceptional. Now I think it is a bit easier for a forward to develop the skating since there are more strait lines but that is the ceiling comparable I would love to see Logan achieve.
The challenge is Stanley is not naturally a shut down defender but neither was Morrissey although Josh has insane skating and skills.

I think my rosy picture above has a very low probability of happening but I guy can dream big.

I think Morrissey was always something of a shutdown D. Its just that he also scored well. As a pro he had to learn to adapt that shutdown ability to the higher level but I always expected him to be strong in his own end. With a green light and PP time I think he will score in the NHL. A very good 2 way D man, IMO.

Edit: I agree that it will all come down to skating for Stanley. If he can learn to skate well enough his size begins to pay dividends. That is a big if though. Give him plenty of time to do it and we may get a pleasant surprise - in a few years.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
For those interested, ex prospect Foley still injured with the blues from training camp.

Does he get nhl salary if injury occurred in nhl camp?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You can't demote injured players. So yes.

13wbkf.jpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Samberg's point totals are still pretty alarming, only 4 points in 15 games this year. He really hasn't taken the step forward in that regard that I was hoping for. If that area doesn't develop it greatly limits his potential ceiling. Here is hoping it picks up.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Samberg's point totals are still pretty alarming, only 4 points in 15 games this year. He really hasn't taken the step forward in that regard that I was hoping for. If that area doesn't develop it greatly limits his potential ceiling. Here is hoping it picks up.
I thought he was a defensive defenseman and was great in last WJC. I don't understand how that would suddenly disappear. I mean Petan was great in Juniors too. We shall see.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought he was a defensive defenseman and was great in last WJC. I don't understand how that would suddenly disappear. I mean Petan was great in Juniors too. We shall see.

He is very good in his own end but if he isn't able to put up points he likely only turns into at best a good defensive number 4 dmen whereas if his offense develops he has 2/3 upside imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->