Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Suddenly, with Niku, Samberg, Chisholm, our left defense future is looking pretty good. Hopefully Kovacevic and Gawanke have strong seasons.

Thing is we might have one of those guys in the lineup when Buff's contract expires. And Logan Stanley will be an NHL regular before any of them.

Reactions: jgimp and Saintb

Whileee

May 29, 2010
2 more assists for Chisholm last night, 28 points in 27 games played :eek:
Dude has 35% more points than the next person on his team, and has had a point on 31% of his team's goals this season (which is crazy for a D).

#4 among OHL D in points/game, and leads the OHL D in non-PP points/game.

Hard not to have a bit of enthusiasm for him. The Jets could use another Niku-type late-round D gem.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Dude has 35% more points than the next person on his team, and has had a point on 31% of his team's goals this season (which is crazy for a D).

Hard not to have a bit of enthusiasm for him. The Jets could use another Niku-type late-round D gem.

You must have missed the PGT, apparently Niku is not a gem. One game; verdict is in.

Reactions: jgimp and MardyBum

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Very good news!

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
maybe we shouldn't pencil him in to the top 4 and pp after 1 game either.

Wouldn't mind seeing him with Buff who could help him in his weakness. Maybe Chiarot could bring some physicality to help out Myers.

Completely wrong place to discuss this though lol.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
in my mind, i've written off Gustafsson. think he'll never be worth having come over.

but if we leave that draft with Chisholm being an NHL player, i'll be a bit happier.

too early to tell, but the 2018 draft won't be one for Jets' fans to remember

Reactions: Laine Fan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
in my mind, i've written off Gustafsson. think he'll never be worth having come over.

but if we leave that draft with Chisholm being an NHL player, i'll be a bit happier.

too early to tell, but the 2018 draft won't be one for Jets' fans to remember

Yeah it's not looking great. Chisohlm and Vallati are probably our best bets. The rest of the crop is looking rough.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Gustafsson is coming back from a long injury wouldn't right him off yet. At least watch him at the world Juniors before you give up on, plus he probably plays another year in Sweden and gets another World junior too. The Jets also have 3 long term prospects from the draft Smith,Moe and Wong who we probably won't see around here for 3 or 4 years.

Chisholm and Vallati are looking like the real deals and are good bets to be playing for the Moose in a couple of years. Wouldn't be shocked to see Chisholm on next year's World Junior team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why would Gustafsson be a write off already?

Gustafsson is coming back from a long injury wouldn't right him off yet. At least watch him at the world Juniors before you give up on, plus he probably plays another year in Sweden and gets another World junior too. The Jets also have 3 long term prospects from the draft Smith,Moe and Wong who we probably won't see around here for 3 or 4 years.

Chisholm and Vallati are looking like the real deals and are good bets to be playing for the Moose in a couple of years. Wouldn't be shocked to see Chisholm on next year's World Junior team.

Gustafsson is a two-way player that isn't amazing offensively. I'm not writing him off but I don't he has top 6 potential at all. Long term I think he can project as a bottom 6 two-way center type that plays well in his own zone, has decent vision and hands but his skating is still a concern. Could end up being a Lowry replacement eventually.

Smith I'm not super hyped on watched him play the other day. He's a good skater but not amazing, he can stay with the rush. Has a nose for the net, not overly physical. Really really solid stickhandler though but he doesn't have great vision. I see him looking down a lot to make plays and he often loses focus on where his teammates are. Not super strong on the puck either yet. There is some potential there but I don't think he can be more than a middle 6 option at best. Moe is getting eaten up in Waterloo but he'll probably get a shot on the Moose eventually. Wong is a very similar style of player to Lemeiux. Has a good offensive game but plays a pest style and very much on the edge if not outright dirty. If a lot of Jets fans don't like what Lemieux brings to the table they will hate what Wong brings to the table. If he can clean up his game he could be an effective bottom 6 type player possibly but at this point his dirty play style is such a big part of how he puts up points and in a league that is moving further and further away from that I'm not so sure he will have much of a part on the Jets in the future.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wong is going to Harvard so I am guessing he isn't an idiot

He's not dumb in the book sense but you don't get 235 penalty minutes in 55 games with only 4 fighting majors by being a clean player. Being book smart and being smart on the ice are two different things. I've heard the kid has a nasty nasty temper. He plays on the edge far more than Lemieux.

He had 8 games in that season with over 10 minutes in penalties. He's had multiple game misconducts in his short career in Okotoks and has been suspended 3 times I believe. He has 492 penalty minutes in 131 games over 2 and a third seasons with Okotoks with only 8 career fights.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wong is going to Harvard so I am guessing he isn't an idiot

What's your point? That Wong is smart enough to learn a different style? Or that Lemieux is an idiot? :laugh:

I like feisty. I don't like dirty. The very little bit I got to see of Wong was leaning a bit more to the feisty side. I'm kind of hoping that Harvard can knock some of the rough edges off his game. Definitely a long shot though.

If Chisholm can turn out to be an NHL LD and Gustafsson could become an eventual Lowry replacement the '18 draft would be hugely successful considering our first pick was #60. I'm not counting on either yet though. I won't be surprised if the entire '18 draft gives us less than the magic 200 NHL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad