Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Vallati scores again, maybe we'll have a player that shows up for the nationally televised games :laugh:

Nice job getting back up after whiffing on a hit and getting up ice for that one.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For anyone who missed it, Giovanni Vallati with 2 goals today.

On the 2nd goal he separates the KGN forward from the puck then beats them down the ice for the goal and then goes back at him (they'd been going at each other all game) to tell him shhhhh lol. Vallati has a lot of red ass in his game

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, who might the Jets have at the WJHC-20?

Samberg
Virtanen
Gustafsson?
Vesalainen?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
upload_2018-12-3_13-40-9.png

Final attempt. Yay...got it in the right spot.

Further to M. Hallenback's comment from the Chisholm thread...I'd have #3 to #7 pretty interchangeable...a break to Kovy who is a bit older...then a larger gap down to Cederholm and Evingson, whom I debated even including.

("M" is for Monsieur)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gm0ney

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My defenseman ranking:

Ranked based on what I see their upside is and probability of reaching:

1) Niku (Number 3/4 PP QB dmen)
2) Samberg (Number 3/4 defensive dmen)

3) Chisholm (Number 3/4 two way dmen)
4) Kovacevik (Number 3/4 two way dmen)

5) Green (Number 4/5 offensive dmen)
6) Stanley (Number 4/5 dmen)
7) Gawnke (Number 4/5 dmen)

8) Valatti (Number 4/5 dmen)

9) Cederholm (AHL dmen)
10) Evigson (AHL dmen)

Reactions: MardyBum

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
My defenseman ranking:

9) Cederholm (AHL dmen)
10) Evigson (AHL dmen)
How many of these guys will get a moose call up at end of season?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My defenseman ranking:

9) Cederholm (AHL dmen)
10) Evigson (AHL dmen)

So while I love what Chisholm is doing, I really need to see him against better competition to get a good read on him. That is why I would have him that group with Green,Stanley,Kovecevic and maybe Gawanke.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So while I love what Chisholm is doing, I really need to see him against better competition to get a good read on him. That is why I would have him that group with Green,Stanley,Kovecevic and maybe Gawanke.

Fair enough but most haven't gotten a chance to play higher comp. Also while Stanley has been ok for the Moose he is only on pace for abou 12 points so far so hardly dominating.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Fair enough but most haven't gotten a chance to play higher comp. Also while Stanley has been ok for the Moose he is only on pace for abou 12 points so far so hardly dominating.

I actually think Chisholm has a potential higher ceiling the Stanley for sure. I don't think Stanley will ever be nothing more then a decent 4th. Luke Green is great and all but if you can't stay healthy there isn't much value in having him. Not that Chisholm is fragile but I need to get more info from him but man he is trending up.

Vallarti is a bit underrated as well, I think next year he could trend up quite a bit too

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually think Chisholm has a potential higher ceiling the Stanley for sure. I don't think Stanley will ever be nothing more then a decent 4th. Luke Green is great and all but if you can't stay healthy there isn't much value in having him. Not that Chisholm is fragile but I need to get more info from him but man he is trending up.

Vallarti is a bit underrated as well, I think next year he could trend up quite a bit too

No disagreements here. I like Green as well but if he can't stay healthy then he wont progress. Here is hoping that he can get over this latest injury and stay healthy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So here is my thing about Stanley. I had him as a late 1st/early 2nd in his draft year. Classic project pick. Everything I hear about from people that do scouting for a living say the same thing about him. This kid works his ass off on and off the ice. Yes he is huge but if he has that work ethic and keeps pushing himself you could have a very good player in a few years. That is why I hold out hopes for him and don't put too much stock into his first year numbers because I think he is the type of player who will look at what he needs to do to get better at every level he is at. It just might take a few years

Reactions: Gm0ney and KingBogo

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So here is my thing about Stanley. I had him as a late 1st/early 2nd in his draft year. Classic project pick. Everything I hear about from people that do scouting for a living say the same thing about him. This kid works his ass off on and off the ice. Yes he is huge but if he has that work ethic and keeps pushing himself you could have a very good player in a few years. That is why I hold out hopes for him and don't put too much stock into his first year numbers because I think he is the type of player who will look at what he needs to do to get better at every level he is at. It just might take a few years

I had Stanley as more of a 3rd round talent but admit he was a classic polarizing prospect across the scouting world. I hated the pick but am cheering for him.

What I like:

As you mentioned character and work ethic. It’s an essential element for project players and he has it in spades.

I like his vision and stretch passes. When he has time and space he sees the ice well and that is an asset. I think he will be ok at break out passing.

He is a strong kid that can be punishing at times. I love physicality if it comes with talent (Buff, Trouba, Lowry) but I am not enamored with it when it as the primary asset (Lemieux). He is already less gangly than Myers is and much less soft. Myers would be fun to board battle with due to his high centre of gravity and mild manner. Stanley looks like he would not be fun to play against. He has an edge and doesn’t mind punishing players.

His numbers don’t show it this season but he has more offense to his game than I thought he would. He is not void of skill.

What I don’t like:

His skating. Simply put his defensive footwork is not good enough. Last time I saw him he struggled with his gaps, turns, retrieval speed, and 4 way movement. The mind and the feet are the lifeblood of defenders and without improving his feet “allot” he is going to be very limited.

I am not a huge fan of his defense and I think most of that has to do with his feet so I won’t beat that to death.

In my humble opinion it’s where 6’7” works against him. It seems like it is harder for really tall guys to improve their footwork and nimbleness.

The good news is there is zero rush.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I like the work ethic but its about starting point and trajectory for me. He started pretty far behind the curve and has an awful lot of ground to make up. He improved at a good clip as a junior but I'm not sure it was at a steep enough level to turn the needle enough for me. While early a couple of dmen in the system look to be starting further ahead and have fairly good trajectories so far. I also think many of the dmen in the system have a tool set that is more geared towards the faster NHL. Like PS241 I question whether he will ever skate well enough to be able to defend at more then an adequate level in the NHL. I also don't think he has the offensive ability to offset it if he can't. But I will pull for him.

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It would be nice if all conversations of our lightening rod of a prospect were as civil as the last 3 posts. I wasn't a big fan of the pick when I first heard it, but after the initial avalanche of scorn I've been in the kid's corner big time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It would be nice if all conversations of our lightening rod of a prospect were as civil as the last 3 posts. I wasn't a big fan of the pick when I first heard it, but after the initial avalanche of scorn I've been in the kid's corner big time.

It always tends to devolve because people want to shove it in the others face when something happens. He scores... he's the best prospect in the pipeline. He gets walked and scored on.. he's the worst.

We have a very reactionary fan base. After 20 games Helle is one of the most elite goalies in the world. After 20 games Helle is a sieve and he can't stop a beachball and should be sent down to the AHL to learn how to play.

This place is crazy reactionary. But I think it's like that on every team board. Except maybe Arizona. Hard to be reactionary when no one posts.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The scorn was never directed at Stanley. Those who were critical of the pick (and the tradeup) directed their scorn at Chevy/Hillier.

That draft was extremely uncharacteristic of the Jets and I think many draft analysts said that too so it's not just some "disgruntled posters" on HFJets. That said, if lessons have been learned from that draft we can move on.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad