Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Mason is a free agent could you get him for 1 mil maybe

I'm surprised he hasn't signed anywhere yet. I've never been a fan of Mason, but he is NHL calibre no doubt. I think teams might be really scared of his injuries and he might need to sign camp PTO so a team can give him a physical and evaluate his health risk free before he can get a contract.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I posted this a while ago to summarize last year's thing:

---------------

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-wrap-up.2374343/
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

HM: Kraskovsky, McKenzie, Tanev, Phillips, Lipon, Cederholm, Kostalek, Suess, Evingson, Holm, Stallard

Highest riser (from the previous list): Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

Graduating from that class are: 1. Connor, 2. Roslovic, 5. Poolman, and unranked Tanev. #12. Foley, was traded. Kostalek's gone to Europe. Stallard was not signed (and not re-drafted so he's a UFA). 16. De Leo was traded, Phillips was unsigned, Lipon and 6. Comrie were qualified so they'll be back.

So at least 6 spots open up for someone.

-----------------

And last year's kickoff is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-1.2367401/

But the polls were all lost when HFBoards moved to mandatory.com.

I think we had a list of 10 prospects in the poll and then people vote, and leave a message maybe explaining their pick and nominating someone to add to the list.

12-24 hours per poll.

I think 20. Berdin may run straight up that list in 2 or 3 years...

Fingers crossed...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mason is a free agent could you get him for 1 mil maybe

I think there is a lot of risk there. He has some serious concussion issues. I don't think many teams are willing to throw money at someone without knowing the situation of his health.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think there is a lot of risk there. He has some serious concussion issues. I don't think many teams are willing to throw money at someone without knowing the situation of his health.

It might also be in his own best interest to think about retirement.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting statistical analysis of drafted prospects, places Vesalainen at #7 overall, above Brannstrom, Valimaki, etc., etc.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Interesting statistical analysis of drafted prospects, places Vesalainen at #7 overall, above Brannstrom, Valimaki, etc., etc.

Interesting, he seems the second most likely to make the NHL by that list as well.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The question about Vesalainen never really was about him not being able to make the NHL but about his offensive upside as a first rounder compared to other choices.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The question about Vesalainen never really was about him not being able to make the NHL but about his offensive upside as a first rounder compared to other choices.

Well a year ago he was a boom or bust in the eyes of most people I’ve heard from as he had serious trouble playing older groups of players and was inconsistent year to year(one season he was a beat and the next he was being rag dolled by his flaws within that seasons schedule). at this point I agree and I think the question isn’t about if, it is about when and how effective he will be when translating over(ie. will he be a Granlund/Teravainen or will he be a Armia/Pulkkinen).

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Based on his (comparative) stats in the FEL, his size & strength, and all the video available on him I'm pretty certain he can play in the NHL this coming season. He's an amazing puck hound and I could see him excel with Scheifee and Wheeler on the top line. Why not learn from the best, while working from a position to succeed. Just ask how that worked out for Kyle Connor!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Giese was obviously a great hire by the Jets. Now in charge of USA scouting.

Reactions: ps241

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Giese was obviously a great hire by the Jets. Now in charge of USA scouting.

Good article. Though I hope he sticks around a bit longer given the line about his partner hoping to work with "sea turtles in Florida," which struck me as the local rag equivalent to hiring a plane to fly a "Hire Me" banner past the Panthers head office. Can they afford to hire scouts round thar?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Max is one of the coolest guys ever, loves what he does so much.

I figured he had a hand in drafting Nathan Smith and was sending him a message on draft night but found he'd already sent me one hyping him up. :D

Reactions: KingBogo

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Good article. Though I hope he sticks around a bit longer given the line about his partner hoping to work with "sea turtles in Florida," which struck me as the local rag equivalent to hiring a plane to fly a "Hire Me" banner past the Panthers head office. Can they afford to hire scouts round thar?
I don't think Winnipeg's his home base - he probably spends more time at home in Wisconsin than he does in Winnipeg during the season.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Who was the US director before him?
He has a lot of “pegs” in the game now. Do we know which ones he’s responsible for other than Poolman?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I like how a decent amount of our scouting success is due to Ducky and Giese.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Who was the US director before him?
He has a lot of “pegs” in the game now. Do we know which ones he’s responsible for other than Poolman?

Copp
Poolman
Seuss
Connor*
Foley
Appleton
Samberg**
Kovacevic**
Evingson**
Smith***

* Max pushed for him but that high of a pick has a bit of everyone involved.
** Not sure who drove the boat more of those 3 between Max and Dan Shrader. I think Evingson may have been more Shrader. I’m sure they work together lots on them though.
*** Shrader I think was the guy who really pushed for Smith.

Patterns I notice:
- a lot of overagers
- guys who can skate
- big, mobile defenders
- a lot of these players are guys who didn’t score that well but developed into scorers

EDIT: I should note there are 2 others beyond Shrader who do US scouting, but I don't know enough about them to know their input.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krauser and Mathil8

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Copp
Poolman
Seuss
Connor*
Foley
Appleton
Samberg**
Kovacevic**
Evingson**
Smith***

* Max pushed for him but that high of a pick has a bit of everyone involved.
** Not sure who drove the boat more of those 3 between Max and Dan Shrader. I think Evingson may have been more Shrader. I’m sure they work together lots on them though.
*** Shrader I think was the guy who really pushed for Smith.

Patterns I notice:
- a lot of overagers
- guys who can skate
- big, mobile defenders
- a lot of these players are guys who didn’t score that well but developed into scorers

Wow, that’s super helpful. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad