Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Why did the Flames & Oilers drop out of the Penticton tourney this year? Jets play the Canucks twice (on the 7th & 9th)... and that's it.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Did you count playoffs? I apparently made a mistake but the difference is ≈0.03 p/gp

Vesalainen 51p 67gp ≈0.76 p/gp
Heiskanen 32p 44gp ≈0.73p/gp

Well you said 0.02(which was incorrect) and to add to that if I recall Vesalainen was getting very limited minutes(3rd /4th line minutes) after the trade to Karpat due to the depth Karpat already had, so it’s not a massive surprise.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Well you said 0.02(which was incorrect) and to add to that if I recall Vesalainen was getting very limited minutes(3rd /4th line minutes) after the trade to Karpat due to the depth Karpat already had, so it’s not a massive surprise.
Yeah, I think he played 3rd line with Kupari, at the beginning at least. Not sure who he played with after kupari was scratched. Vesalainen did most of his work in PP anyways, so I wasn't surprised he didn't make kärpät top 6 either. He got 27 points on PP, so that's over half of his production. Nothing away from Ves since he had a great year, but the point was just that him being above Heiskanen in that guys re-draft was a joke. Heiskanen actually had 26 even strength points compared to Vesalainen's 24, even though he played 23 games less.

Gotta be realistic when talking about your own prospects, I think. Too often i see fans gloating how all their prospects will be 1st liners in 2 years

Reactions: Halberdier

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Yeah, I think he played 3rd line with Kupari, at the beginning at least. Not sure who he played with after kupari was scratched. Vesalainen did most of his work in PP anyways, so I wasn't surprised he didn't make kärpät top 6 either. He got 27 points on PP, so that's over half of his production. Nothing away from Ves since he had a great year, but the point was just that him being above Heiskanen in that guys re-draft was a joke. Heiskanen actually had 26 even strength points compared to Vesalainen's 24, even though he played 23 games less.

Gotta be realistic when talking about your own prospects, I think. Too often i see fans gloating how all their prospects will be 1st liners in 2 years

I’m not disputing who’s better, Vesalainen’s FEL Numbers this season where Elite but Heiskanens numbers are pretty much unheard of, so I agree Heiskanen is a better prospect(I think he’s got Karlsson level potential and will likely be the best Finnish D-Man in a long time). I’m just saying your being a little ignorant to the context(Vesalainens minutes where very low in the playoffs, he played a larger sample of total games, he played better Internationally).

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Gustafsson played as 3rd line C in today's usa-sweden game. Managed to get a SH assist.

DjYy_zYUUAIRTyw.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting to peruse a lot of the current prospect rankings these days. Vesalainen is generally ranked higher than many of the prospects available around the Jets' original draft spot (#13), such as Suzuki, Valimaki, Brannstrom, Liljegren, etc.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I liked Samberg in the game last night. Big, rangy player with good skating, good vision and a very good first pass. He's really poised with the puck in his own zone under pressure. He was more up ice than I've seen him and got caught at least once. Seems to be trying to get more involved in the offense. Still looks like he's going to be a really good one.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I liked Samberg in the game last night. Big, rangy player with good skating, good vision and a very good first pass. He's really poised with the puck in his own zone under pressure. He was more up ice than I've seen him and got caught at least once. Seems to be trying to get more involved in the offense. Still looks like he's going to be a really good one.

Yeah, what I like most at this stage of his development is his seeming total commitment to his defensive responsibilities - he`s very aware of his positional responsibilities and seems to communicate well with his partner and other linemates in the defensive zone. Nice to see him go up ice more as you noted but even then he plays a low risk type of game.Looks like coach relies on him to always be the first back, so to speak.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, what I like most at this stage of his development is his seeming total commitment to his defensive responsibilities - he`s very aware of his positional responsibilities and seems to communicate well with his partner and other linemates in the defensive zone. Nice to see him go up ice more as you noted but even then he plays a low risk type of game.Looks like coach relies on him to always be the first back, so to speak.
To me, he projects as a big, mobile shutdown D with some offensive potential. Josh Manson might be an analogy.

Reactions: STZD and ecolad

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Given his reputation, I was shocked how up the ice he was playing. A couple very nice rushes. But he really did get caught badly a couple times.
Not what I was expecting to see but he has some talent there’s no doubt about that.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Given his reputation, I was shocked how up the ice he was playing. A couple very nice rushes. But he really did get caught badly a couple times.
Not what I was expecting to see but he has some talent there’s no doubt about that.
But they sure don’t hive him ANY power play time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that he was adding a bit more offense and taking some chances because it's an exhibition tournament, but his basic instincts are to play a safe and solid defensive game. He completely erases opponents in the defensive zone with his size and mobility, and makes really quick and sharp decisions with the puck. I think he's going to be ready for the NHL sooner than expected, possibly by next season, playing a bottom pairing role. I think his offense will continue to develop, though not a feature of his game. I see him as an efficient shutdown D with very good luck moving abilities. One of my favorite prospects.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think that he was adding a bit more offense and taking some chances because it's an exhibition tournament, but his basic instincts are to play a safe and solid defensive game. He completely erases opponents in the defensive zone with his size and mobility, and makes really quick and sharp decisions with the puck. I think he's going to be ready for the NHL sooner than expected, possibly by next season, playing a bottom pairing role. I think his offense will continue to develop, though not a feature of his game. I see him as an efficient shutdown D with very good luck moving abilities. One of my favorite prospects.

I am a big fan of his game and am interested to see how he progresses in College this season. Last year was a quantum leap from high school to the top pairing on USA world junior team by the end of the season he was on the shut down pair of the national championship team.

Between Morrisey, Niku, and Samberg I like the future make up of our left side. I know two of them have to prove it at the NHL level but I like their chances. Three guys that are extremely mobile that can all move the puck.

Reactions: KingBogo

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I’m not disputing who’s better, Vesalainen’s FEL Numbers this season where Elite but Heiskanens numbers are pretty much unheard of, so I agree Heiskanen is a better prospect(I think he’s got Karlsson level potential and will likely be the best Finnish D-Man in a long time). I’m just saying your being a little ignorant to the context(Vesalainens minutes where very low in the playoffs, he played a larger sample of total games, he played better Internationally).

Numbers aside, Heiskanen was sometimes pretty unfair and unreal opponent to play against with, whereas Vesalainen was just another pretty good young player, but nothing special.

Heiskanen is maybe not Dahlin, but something lesser version of that nevertheless.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Numbers aside, Heiskanen was sometimes pretty unfair and unreal opponent to play against with, whereas Vesalainen was just another pretty good young player, but nothing special.

Heiskanen is maybe not Dahlin, but something lesser version of that nevertheless.
Comparisons to Scott Niedermayer are encouraging.

Reactions: Halberdier

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
His reputation... He had a ton of offensive pop and flair on his high school film. I don't think anyone should be writing off his offense at this stage.

Reactions: ps241

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Corey Pronman is ranking the farm systems of NHL teams over on The Athletic.

31: Washington
30: Tampa Bay
29: Calgary
28: Winnipeg

One of these things is not like other~

Anyways, he questions the strength of depth the Jets have, but acknowledges that it's not a worry _yet_.

Ranking of prospects from most likely to least likely NHL impact:

K.Ves
Appleton
Samberg
Niku
Spacek
Stanley
Poolman
Lemieux
Kraskovsky
Gustafsson
McKenzie