Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's noteworthy that Spacek actually stuck at C in his first pro year. Handling the duties of a center isn't the easiest thing at any level, let alone when the competition gets tougher.

If we get a Sobotka or a Jarnkrok out of him, I'll be over the moon. He was a fourth round pick, after all.

Yup, and Maurice said he was one prospect that played the game like a C should.

Doubly interesting since I don't think he was playing C in Jr. At least he was not listed as a C. Several who played C in Jr are not playing there with the Moose. Harkins, for one was drafted as a C but is playing wing. So they are developing Spacek as a C. He had to deal with the transition to pro hockey and learning the new position. Considering that, he did very well.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Doubly interesting since I don't think he was playing C in Jr. At least he was not listed as a C. Several who played C in Jr are not playing there with the Moose. Harkins, for one was drafted as a C but is playing wing. So they are developing Spacek as a C. He had to deal with the transition to pro hockey and learning the new position. Considering that, he did very well.

Maybe he was a center in Europe before coming over? Hard to believe they would take a winger and try to make a center out of him if he had no familiarity with that position.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe he was a center in Europe before coming over? Hard to believe they would take a winger and try to make a center out of him if he had no familiarity with that position.

Probably had some time at the position. But if you want to convert a prospect to C, the AHL is the place to do it and ASAP is the time. Leafs did the same with Nylander. AFAIK, it was working but they got Matthews so didn't need to continue with him there.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Whenever he came through with the Rebels he was playing center on their 1st line in all the games I saw.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Whenever he came through with the Rebels he was playing center on their 1st line in all the games I saw.

OK, I wasn't sure but thought he had been drafted as a winger and played wing in Jr. HockeyDB still lists him as a RW. EP says C/RW. That makes Maurice's comment make more sense.

After 1 yr in the AHL how do you project him now? NHL C? Winger? AHL'er?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK, I wasn't sure but thought he had been drafted as a winger and played wing in Jr. HockeyDB still lists him as a RW. EP says C/RW. That makes Maurice's comment make more sense.

After 1 yr in the AHL how do you project him now? NHL C? Winger? AHL'er?

I think he will be a utility player in the NHL. Someone who can play both C and W. I don't see top 6 kind of potential from him. I think it's likely he could develop into a bottom 6 utility type guy. Kind of like Shawn Matthias.

Also I never use Hockey DB as a source for positions they don't seem to update it very often and never list if a player can play multiple positions. EP is better but sometimes they aren't completely up to date.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I’m not too familiar with his game, but is there any chance Reichel can develop into a quality bottom 6 player down the road?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Is anyone interested in getting our top 20 prospect voting going?
Sounds like you are!

People who have done it in the past have significantly scaled down their activity on their boards. I don't think anyone else has claimed it, and we usually start in the beginning of July IIRC.

In other news, I think we should look into Griffen Outhouse as a goalie prospect. He has an A+ name, and his stats are good in the WHL. How many times can a player go undrafted before he can be signed by anyone?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds like you are!

People who have done it in the past have significantly scaled down their activity on their boards. I don't think anyone else has claimed it, and we usually start in the beginning of July IIRC.

In other news, I think we should look into Griffen Outhouse as a goalie prospect. He has an A+ name, and his stats are good in the WHL. How many times can a player go undrafted before he can be signed by anyone?
Yes, Outhouse is 20 and went undrafted, so he could be signed to an ELC between now and the start of the season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yes, Outhouse is 20 and went undrafted, so he could be signed to an ELC between now and the start of the season.
We should sign him. I don't think he's likely to ever make it as a prominent NHL player because of his size, but there is no denying that name.

In all seriousness, it's too bad about the size. He's having a pretty damn good WHL career, but at 6' I don't think any team is gonna take a shot at him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We should sign him. I don't think he's likely to ever make it as a prominent NHL player because of his size, but there is no denying that name.

In all seriousness, it's too bad about the size. He's having a pretty damn good WHL career, but at 6' I don't think any team is gonna take a shot at him.
I remember his rookie year in the WHL was really good. His last couple of years weren't as great, but still near the top of the Dub. I think the Jets/Moose have filled their goalie slots now though.

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Comrie
Berdin
Appleby

If the Jets were to make him an offer, it would have to be a 3-year ELC I think? Maybe that's too much of a risk - especially if they're looking to snag a guy trying to sneak through waivers in October.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I remember his rookie year in the WHL was really good. His last couple of years weren't as great, but still near the top of the Dub. I think the Jets/Moose have filled their goalie slots now though.

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Comrie
Berdin
Appleby

If the Jets were to make him an offer, it would have to be a 3-year ELC I think? Maybe that's too much of a risk - especially if they're looking to snag a guy trying to sneak through waivers in October.
His last couple of years have been roughly 2.5 standard deviations above average in the WHL. Not fantastic, but certainly good. For reference, his stats are relatively better than Michael DiPietro, whom the poll board just voted as the 10th best goalie prospect.

I don't actually think we'll sign him. He's just a pretty good goalie who has a fantastic name.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
His last couple of years have been roughly 2.5 standard deviations above average in the WHL. Not fantastic, but certainly good. For reference, his stats are relatively better than Michael DiPietro, whom the poll board just voted as the 10th best goalie prospect.

I don't actually think we'll sign him. He's just a pretty good goalie who has a fantastic name.
We had an outhouse at the cottage before we put in a septic tank back in the early 80s. Good times...?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Any player who goes undrafted that played last year in NA can be signed between now and start of season. It's how we signed Blomqvist at 18 after he'd been undrafted just once. He didn't work out but a guy like Martin Jones who was passed over just once worked out better when Kings signed him. However if the player does not sign by start of season the player would be ineligible to be signed since he would be draft eligible for the 2nd or 3rd time.

If a north American based player passes through 3 consecutive drafts without being selected they are UFA for good. So they could be signed at any time including after the season has started as they will no longer be draft eligible the next year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds like you are!

Any rules that need to be followed? How many players do I start with? Plus who graduated as a prospect? Do the first one and mcpw will keep it going ;)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Sounds like you are!

I would have loved to contribute, but then HFBoards changed their format, making my previous charts impossible to decipher. It took the wind out of my sails...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Any rules that need to be followed? How many players do I start with? Plus who graduated as a prospect? Do the first one and mcpw will keep it going ;)
I posted this a while ago to summarize last year's thing:

---------------

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-wrap-up.2374343/
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

HM: Kraskovsky, McKenzie, Tanev, Phillips, Lipon, Cederholm, Kostalek, Suess, Evingson, Holm, Stallard

Highest riser (from the previous list): Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

Graduating from that class are: 1. Connor, 2. Roslovic, 5. Poolman, and unranked Tanev. #12. Foley, was traded. Kostalek's gone to Europe. Stallard was not signed (and not re-drafted so he's a UFA). 16. De Leo was traded, Phillips was unsigned, Lipon and 6. Comrie were qualified so they'll be back.

So at least 6 spots open up for someone.

-----------------

And last year's kickoff is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-1.2367401/

But the polls were all lost when HFBoards moved to mandatory.com.

I think we had a list of 10 prospects in the poll and then people vote, and leave a message maybe explaining their pick and nominating someone to add to the list.

12-24 hours per poll.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I posted this a while ago to summarize last year's thing:

---------------

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-wrap-up.2374343/
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

HM: Kraskovsky, McKenzie, Tanev, Phillips, Lipon, Cederholm, Kostalek, Suess, Evingson, Holm, Stallard

Highest riser (from the previous list): Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

Graduating from that class are: 1. Connor, 2. Roslovic, 5. Poolman, and unranked Tanev. #12. Foley, was traded. Kostalek's gone to Europe. Stallard was not signed (and not re-drafted so he's a UFA). 16. De Leo was traded, Phillips was unsigned, Lipon and 6. Comrie were qualified so they'll be back.

So at least 6 spots open up for someone.

-----------------

And last year's kickoff is here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-1.2367401/

But the polls were all lost when HFBoards moved to mandatory.com.

I think we had a list of 10 prospects in the poll and then people vote, and leave a message maybe explaining their pick and nominating someone to add to the list.

12-24 hours per poll.
Thx for your help. I got it up and running.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
That goaltending depth looks frightening. If Helle gets hurt, or burns out, we are toast. None of the goalies behind Helle are even as good as Hutch.

A Hutch quality goalie can be had for a mid or late round pick if they need one tho, right? That's what I'm telling myself so I feel better anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->