Speculation: Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Possible Trades

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep.

I'd rather have the better player playing bigger / more critical minutes on his off-side, than playing fewer / less critical minutes on his "correct" side.

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Might not be "optimal", but I think that's our best setup for minute munching for the 1D and 2D pairings.

Oh absolutely with what we have now. But better if we could turn Myers into a good LHD and put Trouba back on the right side.

I doubt that playing the left side is the problem Trouba has with his usage. If he is getting consistent top 4 minutes and 2nd PP time I expect he is satisfied. But we really don't know. I'm assuming he is reasonable because .... why not?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Oh absolutely with what we have now. But better if we could turn Myers into a good LHD and put Trouba back on the right side.

I doubt that playing the left side is the problem Trouba has with his usage. If he is getting consistent top 4 minutes and 2nd PP time I expect he is satisfied. But we really don't know. I'm assuming he is reasonable because .... why not?

He should be getting top pairing minutes, period. I don't agree with the bolded, as it still puts Trouba into a position where he's not carrying the heaviest load he could.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He should be getting top pairing minutes, period. I don't agree with the bolded, as it still puts Trouba into a position where he's not carrying the heaviest load he could.

???
You think he should play top pair left side instead of 2nd pair right side? The difference in TOI between those 2 is basically the difference between 1st PP and 2nd PP. Even playing 1st pair with Buff he won't take PP minutes away from Buff. 5v5 time will not be much different.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
???
You think he should play top pair left side instead of 2nd pair right side? The difference in TOI between those 2 is basically the difference between 1st PP and 2nd PP. Even playing 1st pair with Buff he won't take PP minutes away from Buff. 5v5 time will not be much different.

Yes, I do. I believe that's what I stated, no? ;)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'd be ready to add what was needed - save the big 3-4 prospects. Getting a non-expansion eligible D and thereby only needing to protect Buff, Troubs & Enstrom would be HUGE. And we'd most certainly end up with a vastly improved D a couple years down the road when it really matters.

this wont happen because buff, little, and wheeler would be in chev's office the next day demanding a trade. their not taking a step back to be better in a few years its now or trade me for these players
fortunately chevy is a good gm and he wouldn't make a mistake like that.

second point is you even admitted it yourself why would philly trade a player on a elc and 900k who they don't have to protect for 2 players and 6.5 in aav who at least would only have to protect myers. I don't even have to look. they don't have the cap space.

if the trade went thru witch it wont but in 3 years just as myers would be coming of the books and being replaced by trouba and a player on an elc replacing trouba sanheim would need big bucks just as ehlers laine and connor would be getting their big bucks. why pay 1 extra big contract.

myers is better than sanheim today. so I don't think jets would be adding.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
???

You're highly overrating this left vs right thing.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Trouba with Buff is good. Have them play 28 minutes, have Enstrom and Myers play 22 minutes and try to survive the other 6 minutes with the rest of the D. A forward on D for the PP can eat up the missing 4 minutes.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba with Buff is good. Have them play 28 minutes, have Enstrom and Myers play 22 minutes and try to survive the other 6 minutes with the rest of the D. A forward on D for the PP can eat up the missing 4 minutes.

28 minutes is a lot. I would hesitate to play any player that much every game

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You disagree that our arguably 2nd best d-man shouldn't be playing on the 1st pair with Buff and receiving more TOI than our other dmen? Why do you disagree with this? Is it just the off-hand issue?

Yes. I think you are underrating it - at the same time I don't want to blow it out of proportion either. It is not HUGE, but it is significant.

If it just happened that way you would have 2 righties play 1st pair and 2 lefties play 2nd pair. In a strong top 4 there is only a small difference in 5v5 TOI between the 2 pairs. The difference in total TOI comes largely from different ST usage. Or am I mistaken in that?

I suggest that instead of ranking the defensmen 1, 2, 3, 4 and pairing 1&2, 3&4, you take the top 4 players and make the 2 best pairs you can. Look for 'chemistry', complimentary styles, etc. So, for example if injury lead us to use Chiarot in the top 4 I would try to pair him with Buff because they played well together in the past.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I find it interesting how adamant some have been that Laine needs to play on LW to be his best, yet Trouba should be able to shuffle between LHD and RHD with little effect on his game.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I find it interesting how adamant some have been that Laine needs to play on LW to be his best, yet Trouba should be able to shuffle between LHD and RHD with little effect on his game.

Yes .... but it isn't necessarily the same people making those 2 claims. :) Though it might be. :laugh:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
this wont happen because buff, little, and wheeler would be in chev's office the next day demanding a trade. their not taking a step back to be better in a few years its now or trade me for these players
fortunately chevy is a good gm and he wouldn't make a mistake like that.

second point is you even admitted it yourself why would philly trade a player on a elc and 900k who they don't have to protect for 2 players and 6.5 in aav who at least would only have to protect myers. I don't even have to look. they don't have the cap space.

if the trade went thru witch it wont but in 3 years just as myers would be coming of the books and being replaced by trouba and a player on an elc replacing trouba sanheim would need big bucks just as ehlers laine and connor would be getting their big bucks. why pay 1 extra big contract.

myers is better than sanheim today. so I don't think jets would be adding.

You make a good point regarding the amount of AAV Philly would need to take on preventing this trade. But in regards to making us better now & certainly better down the road, I disagree.

Myers possession stats are not great. While there are things he does that are great, he might not even be a top 4 D on half the teams in the league. On the other hand, however, he's a righty which is a desired product in the NHL.

How essential is Myers to the current & ongoing status of the Jets -- not essential IMO. I think it is a lot more important to get our salary structure for D in order (currently highly overpaying our D vs our Fs). If we could do it by getting rid of Enstrom's contract or trading him, I'd be all for that too, just don't see that as very do-able.

The biggest reason why I would do whatever is required to make this trade is because Philly is heavily stocked in young LHDs, a real need for us. Getting a ready to play but expansion exempt LHD from them or someone else (and trading Myers or Enstrom in the process would be HUGE). That's all I'm saying - make it happen however, and we'll be a vastly improved squad

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I did a little exercise yesterday. I skimmed through all the teams looking for potential trades for Trouba. It was just a quick overview not a rigorous study. A team would have to have the cap space, the parts to return for him and a reasonable need. If they didn't have the cap then the trade would have to involve salary adjustment. I wasn't even making notes so I won't try to pass on any specifics. The thing was that there were not many really good landing spots. In fact there were no clean, straightforward, 1 for 1, win-win deals that jumped out at me.

Trading Trouba for honest value and getting our needs met would be very difficult. We would almost certainly have to accept a small loss of one sort or another in order to get it done. That might take the form of taking back a salary dump or it might be by adding some asset. It would quite likely have to involve more than 1 player on each side.

I'm not talking any one specific trade here. Just generalizing after having looked at every team in the league with a superficial knowledge of what they have and what they might want. It was an interesting exercise and a little sobering.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Yep, and its usually a lot more difficult for a D to switch from his favored side than a forward. If it was that easy, don't you think one of Trouba, Buff or Myers would been played regularly as a LHD in the past couple years. Its been discussed much, but employed rarely. The reason being, its very hard for most D to make that sort of a switch.

I have no doubt that the rumors/discussion that came out the negotiations with Trouba were as much about usage as they were about term/$$ relates not only to his being stuck with Stu, but that he is being constantly bandied around as the RHD who will need to play LHD going forward.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yep, and its usually a lot more difficult for a D to switch from his favored side than a forward. If it was that easy, don't you think one of Trouba, Buff or Myers would been played regularly as a LHD in the past couple years. Its been discussed much, but employed rarely. The reason being, its very hard for most D to make that sort of a switch.

I have no doubt that the rumors/discussion that came out the negotiations with Trouba were as much about usage as they were about term/$$ relates not only to his being stuck with Stu, but that he is being constantly bandied around as the RHD who will need to play LHD going forward.

I think Trouba has done great on the left side with Buff but they need Jacob to shelter Stuart. My guess is they want to create the three best units possible but who the hell knows? :laugh:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Trouba has done great on the left side with Buff but they need Jacob to shelter Stuart. My guess is they want to create the three best units possible but who the hell knows? :laugh:

This is my belief as well. They want the three best pairings on the ice, and someone needs to be able to carry Stuuuuuu.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is my belief as well. They want the three best pairings on the ice, and someone needs to be able to carry Stuuuuuu.

You left out the :sarcasm:
No need for anybody to carry Stu if he is in the PB. Problem solved [/thread]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad