Speculation: Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Possible Trades

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Rumor has it a bridge is coming (via Red Dragon -- who confirmed the rumor of the captain's announcement last night via someone from TNSE).

If that happens, I see as a bad sign for Trouba's future in Wpg. If management & Trouba cant reach an agreement now when his worth has not been clearly established & it is pretty clear what a fair $ range is from other similar D signings recently, can you imagine how hard it will be to sign him in 2 years time.

I hate to say it, but this could blow up in Chevy's face much like the Frolic negotiations did.

A bridge does not make him any more likely to be traded than a long term deal. Many players have signed bridge deals and stayed and many have signed long term and been traded.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
A bridge does not make him any more likely to be traded than a long term deal. Many players have signed bridge deals and stayed and many have signed long term and been traded.

Agreed. I like the idea of getting Trouba locked up for 6+ years right now, but Trouba signing a bridge doesn't mean anything one way or the other in regards to the possibility of being re-signed after IMO.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

The problem as I see it is that Trouba will IMO break out in a big way when he no longer has to play with Stu on a regular basis. If its a two year bridge (the most likely as I see it), we would need to extend him at the same time as Little, Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan, etc & still leave enough room for upcoming big signings like Laine & Connor.

Unless he dumps Overhardt, I really can't see their ask being any less than 8 m/yr which will be an awful big amount to fit into the overall Jets salary structure going forward.

That's all I'm saying -- seems like it should be a lot easier to work out a 6 year deal now than it will in two years time.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Rumor has it a bridge is coming (via Red Dragon -- who confirmed the rumor of the captain's announcement last night via someone from TNSE).

If that happens, I see as a bad sign for Trouba's future in Wpg. If management & Trouba cant reach an agreement now when his worth has not been clearly established & it is pretty clear what a fair $ range is from other similar D signings recently, can you imagine how hard it will be to sign him in 2 years time.

I hate to say it, but this could blow up in Chevy's face much like the Frolic negotiations did.

If Trouba is asking for an unreasonable amount of money or something else unreasonable, then how is this Chevy's fault? I think history shows us that he is always fair, but some players don't want 'fair' they want 'more'.

I don't want us to pay more than reasonable for any player. If they want an unreasonable amount, then trade them.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Honestly..I don't even care. I just want it over and done with.

Same. And I see a lot of stupid trade proposals in the trade boards (the good proposals are rare) where people put a lot of baiting posts to start **** over Trouba. But I do think a lot of people on these boards have too high of an expectation for what will come back if Trouba is traded.

I wouldn't use the Hall/Larsson argument if you're expecting an LD coming back. Someone in one of the threads suggested Jake Muzzin straight up for Trouba. That's probably one of the best deals we could (if Muzzin was 3-4 years younger it would be perfect but then we likely wouldn't sniff that deal) get. The common Leafs proposal of Gardiner+ is also another likely trade I'd expect to see.

As of right now, all the power is in Chevy's hands though. I can see his conundrum... sign Trouba to a bridge deal and that's good for right now but in a couple years he can get OS'd. Although, perhaps a team offers $7-9 mil per year and we can get quite a few 1sts :naughty: but signing Trouba to a long team deal right now isn't optional because there are still some uncertainties with him as a player plus if he wants to leave, he's that much closer to UFA and walking for nothing.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Same. And I see a lot of stupid trade proposals in the trade boards (the good proposals are rare) where people put a lot of baiting posts to start **** over Trouba. But I do think a lot of people on these boards have too high of an expectation for what will come back if Trouba is traded.

I wouldn't use the Hall/Larsson argument if you're expecting an LD coming back. Someone in one of the threads suggested Jake Muzzin straight up for Trouba. That's probably one of the best deals we could (if Muzzin was 3-4 years younger it would be perfect but then we likely wouldn't sniff that deal) get. The common Leafs proposal of Gardiner+ is also another likely trade I'd expect to see.

As of right now, all the power is in Chevy's hands though. I can see his conundrum... sign Trouba to a bridge deal and that's good for right now but in a couple years he can get OS'd. Although, perhaps a team offers $7-9 mil per year and we can get quite a few 1sts :naughty: but signing Trouba to a long team deal right now isn't optional because there are still some uncertainties with him as a player plus if he wants to leave, he's that much closer to UFA and walking for nothing.

I'm not too sure that this made much sense. Trouba could receive an offer-sheet any time now, as he is a free agent. Signing Trouba to a long term deal is 5+ years (imo) and would be buying UFA years.

Chevy will go 2 years or 5+ years. 3 years, and he only has 1 season until UFA. 4 years and he IS a UFA at the end of his contract. If I was Chevy, I would only sign a 2 year or 6+ year deal. No *** around with mid term and being put in a poor negotiation spot.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I know he supposedly wants to stay in Brooklyn now, but I wonder if there is still any chance of a Travis Hamonic deal.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I'm not too sure that this made much sense. Trouba could receive an offer-sheet any time now, as he is a free agent. Signing Trouba to a long term deal is 5+ years (imo) and would be buying UFA years.

Chevy will go 2 years or 5+ years. 3 years, and he only has 1 season until UFA. 4 years and he IS a UFA at the end of his contract. If I was Chevy, I would only sign a 2 year or 6+ year deal. No *** around with mid term and being put in a poor negotiation spot.

I don't believe he can because he's still coming off his entry deal. I think if he gets a bridge contract and is RFA again, he can be offer sheeted but he can't right now.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't believe he can because he's still coming off his entry deal. I think if he gets a bridge contract and is RFA again, he can be offer sheeted but he can't right now.

I was under the impression that as a free agent, he was able to sign an offer sheet. They are about as rare as they come, though.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I was under the impression that as a free agent, he was able to sign an offer sheet. They are about as rare as they come, though.

Trouba can sign an offer sheet. Gaudreau is the one RFA that can't.

Hm, my bad on that. Must have just assumed no offer sheets because of no arbitration. I think that's what I meshed them together into :laugh: Okay so even if he gets offer sheeted. It's low enough where we keep him or high enough where we take the 1sts and run :laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If sip was right about every player we'd have been bottom two team every year.

If they've donned a jets Jersey you can bet ol' sips had a go at them!

Dunno Sip seems to be going soft in his old age
Lots of ++++ lately
Where did Sip go ?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At this point I am pretty relaxed as far as this goes given the givens.

Risto, Hampus, Johnny Hockey, and Jake are all going to be in the World cup of Hockey which runs from Sept 17th to October 1st so depending on how their teams do they wouldn't even be missing their teams camp until late September. In the Jets case our Training camp starts September 20th and our first regular season game is not until October 13th. If both sides are looking for deadlines to drive the deals then we best sit back and relax and enjoy the world cup and things should heat up around October IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Do you guys realize there were seven separate trade threads involving Trouba in the OP on the main boards. I just hit ignore on all seven threads and feel liberated :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you guys realize there were seven separate trade threads involving Trouba in the OP on the main boards. I just hit ignore on all seven threads and feel liberated :laugh:

Another one will pop up by the next time you check. It is almost to the point the Mods need to create a mega Trouba thread. I want a fair long term deal so badly. This would be a great day for it to happen. For child care reasons I'm working from home today so I'm much better positioned to keep track of anything exciting happening. Most work days I come pretty late to the party if there is breaking news.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

Honestly, this is what happens every time I venture into the trade boards:
1) See JETS in the title and try resist the urge to look
2) Look
3) Post something
4) "**** now I have to wait for replies"
5) "I'M NEVER GOING IN THERE AGAIN"
6) Few weeks later, rinse and repeat

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Another one will pop up by the next time you check. It is almost to the point the Mods need to create a mega Trouba thread. I want a fair long term deal so badly. This would be a great day for it to happen. For child care reasons I'm working from home today so I'm much better positioned to keep track of anything exciting happening. Most work days I come pretty late to the party if there is breaking news.

I hope he either signs a really fair long term deal or is traded for a mega haul so I can quote a post by rt and laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad